All-Pro Team- offensive tackles

BobbyC81

Looking at the voting for the AP All-Pro team, it was interesting to see the following for Offensive Tackles:

1. Jason Peters- the guy we couldn't make happy & traded away: 5th with 5 votes

2. Bryant McKinnie- in retrospect, the guy the Bills should've taken over Fat Mike Williams- 4 votes

3. Michael Oher- the guy the Bills should've taken with their 1st pick of the 2009 Draft instead of Maybin- 4 votes

Looking at the voting for the AP All-Pro team, it was interesting to see the following for Offensive Tackles:

2. Bryant McKinnie- in retrospect, the guy the Bills should've taken over Fat Mike Williams- 4 votes

3. Michael Oher- the guy the Bills should've taken with their 1st pick of the 2009 Draft instead of Maybin- 4 votes

good post - but consider this if you will:

peters - it makes no sense to keep beating the peters thing - he did not want to be here - he stated over and over again that as soon as he could he was moving on - he accepted an offer for less money than we offered because he didn't want to be here - and btw he isn't a pro bowl caliber player irrespective of him being voted in as one - he did not play all that well this year to get that honor.

mckinnie - i agree with you on this - but it's always easier when you have 2-3 years of data to make the right call - unfortunately, the draft is a crap shoot - i am hoping we hit on an ot this year.

oher - he is a talent no doubt and i wanted him at that pick also - but it is too early to tell which one will have the best nfl career - we can continue this discussion on these two players in a couple of years - after three years in the league a better assessment can be made i think.

you left out Ryan Clady- the Starting All-Pro LT -

who the Bills should have picked instead of McElvin -knowing that they wanted to play hardball with Peters at LT.

Although these guys got votes, they didn't actually make the All-Pro team right?

Ryan Clady is first team All-Pro with 30 votes. Now that is impressive and speaks to how well he played throughout the season and not just a few games here and there.

Peters makes $11 million/ year. He is not a $11 million/ year player. Fans and people who cover the Eagles have not been thrilled with his play.

McKinnie isn't a elite LT. He plays next to the best guard in the NFL. He gets beat an awful lot. He's had a much better career than Williams but who hasn't.

I really like Oher and it would be amazing to think of our oline's foundation with him. But let's not act like he didn't have a bunch of questions about his work ethic at draft time. We weren't the only team that needed a tackle that passed on Oher. Plus in Baltimore, you have to play hard or Ray Lewis will murder you.

Peters makes $11 million/ year. He is not a $11 million/ year player. Fans and people who cover the Eagles have not been thrilled with his play.

McKinnie isn't a elite LT. He plays next to the best guard in the NFL. He gets beat an awful lot. He's had a much better career than Williams but who hasn't.

I really like Oher and it would be amazing to think of our oline's foundation with him. But let's not act like he didn't have a bunch of questions about his work ethic at draft time. We weren't the only team that needed a tackle that passed on Oher. Plus in Baltimore, you have to play hard or Ray Lewis will murder you.

I agree. The Bills were smart to shun these players and concentrate on the secondary. The results speak for themselves. Good post. :devil:

It's all come down to this, the Bills ignore the needs at OT. After drafting fat ass Mike Williams and failed, they are staying away from spending first round picks on that position. (Thank god, finally, they took two guards last year. They needed a couple more.) The failure of the Bills has everything to do with leadership in the front office. If you ask a teenager, how would you build a football team, they would tell you from the OL and DL. But not the Bills. I think it is safe to say that, the Bills and the Raiders are the two teams that have no clue when it comes to drafting players. They both happened to have a control freak owner. I predict that it is going to be all the same going forward.

you left out Ryan Clady- the Starting All-Pro LT -

who the Bills should have picked instead of McElvin -knowing that they wanted to play hardball with Peters at LT.

McKelvin was a good pick at that spot in 2008 and he went about where he should have gone, if not a little later. CB was the biggest need at the time. He may still end up being a top cover corner.

CB would not have been a need, however, if they hadn't picked Marshawn Lynch first in 2007 and instead picked Darelle Revis or even Leon Hall. I know they liked Revis. Now I don't know how the other 2007 picks would have went or what other RB would have been taken, but making the right call on Lynch vs. Revis would have set up the possibility of better picks later.

I agree. The Bills were smart to shun these players and concentrate on the secondary. The results speak for themselves. Good post. :unsure:

it was a good post and shows he pays attention. and the focus on secondary was good, except for the whitner pick (but at least he's a starter, the pick that really hurt us was mccargo, which had nothing to do with secondary.) in large part due to the secondary focus, bills do have a defense for a winning team it's the complete lack of offensive support that kills this team. the mishandling of peters and bad free agent acquisitions killed the oline NOT drafting for secondary

it was a good post and shows he pays attention. and the focus on secondary was good, except for the whitner pick (but at least he's a starter, the pick that really hurt us was mccargo, which had nothing to do with secondary.) in large part due to the secondary focus, bills do have a defense for a winning team it's the complete lack of offensive support that kills this team. the mishandling of peters and bad free agent acquisitions killed the oline NOT drafting for secondary

they would not have a gaping hole at LT if they had picked Clady instead of McElvin (who just happens to be a DB)

I agree. The Bills were smart to shun these players and concentrate on the secondary. The results speak for themselves. Good post. :unsure:

I am not saying drafting secondary guys is the answer. I am all for Oline guys.

But the Peters thing is just silly. He almost single handedly lost that game for Philly against Dallas in the playoffs. He could not slow down any Dallas DE's. You think he is gonna get quicker the older he gets? ha.

Oher to early to tell. His own coaches at Ole Miss were saying that he could be a star or a bust. That Oher just does not care that much either way.

McKinnie and Williams were neck and neck. The Bills picked the wrong guy. That one i will agree with you. But that happens.

Until the Bills get a Personel guy running the show, that can evaluate talent and pick his guys, we are screwed. Hell i dont mind picking secondary guys in the first, put pick guys like Reevis or Reed. Not Mckelvin and Whitner.

good post - but consider this if you will:

peters - it makes no sense to keep beating the peters thing - he did not want to be here - he stated over and over again that as soon as he could he was moving on - he accepted an offer for less money than we offered because he didn't want to be here - and btw he isn't a pro bowl caliber player irrespective of him being voted in as one - he did not play all that well this year to get that honor.

mckinnie - i agree with you on this - but it's always easier when you have 2-3 years of data to make the right call - unfortunately, the draft is a crap shoot - i am hoping we hit on an ot this year.

oher - he is a talent no doubt and i wanted him at that pick also - but it is too early to tell which one will have the best nfl career - we can continue this discussion on these two players in a couple of years - after three years in the league a better assessment can be made i think.

If we had taken care of peters when we overpaid for dockery and walker he would still be here. instead a shortsighted FO tried to underpay the most solid guy on their line. Vision is needed in the FO.

Please, this is getting old.

Mike Willams (a linman) was drafted instead of McKinnie.

Mabin (a defensive lineman) was drafted instead of Oher.

Peters was traded for picks, one of which was used on Wood. Another helping to trade up for Levitre.

It's not like they ignored the lines with respect to the players mentioned in the post.

Also, Peters and Williams were the players "shunned". You're not suggesting that the Bills should have kept those two around are you?

Just one nitpick point

If memory serves didn't Mckinney make some kind of comment like he didn't want to come here? Something like Buffalo is Buffalo I really don't want to go there but if I'm drafted I guess I have to. Maybe Adolf Donahoe 'shunned' him partially for that. So it may have been less a football decision. And yes yes Jim Kelly but Ralph was a lot older and nuttier and Donahoe was running the team.

Please, this is getting old.

Mike Willams (a linman) was drafted instead of McKinnie.

Mabin (a defensive lineman) was drafted instead of Oher.

Peters was traded for picks, one of which was used on Wood. Another helping to trade up for Levitre.

It's not like they ignored the lines with respect to the players mentioned in the post.

Also, Peters and Williams were the players "shunned". You're not suggesting that the Bills should have kept those two around are you?

since Peters was such a toxic liability, all the more reason Clady should have been the pick instead of another DB -and a project no less.