Mark McGwire admits using steroids

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then there were two.

If there is one thing we know about the the American public, it's that we are forgiving. McGuire gained nothing by denying this for 5 years and he tarnished his image even more than it already was (hard to believe). His records will always be viewed as dirty and his baseball legacy will forever have an asterisk. But he will come out of this better for having told the truth.

People don't forget, but we forgive.

If I were Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens...I wouldn't want to be the last one to finally admit it.

And then there were two.

If there is one thing we know about the the American public, it's that we are forgiving. McGuire gained nothing by denying this for 5 years and he tarnished his image even more than it already was (hard to believe). His records will always be viewed as dirty and his baseball legacy will forever have an asterisk. But he will come out of this better for having told the truth.

People don't forget, but we forgive.

If I were Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens...I wouldn't want to be the last one to finally admit it.

He admitted it because he's now on the Cardinals payroll and knows that if he didn't say anything it would dog him for as long as he remained in the game. Now he's got it out there and he can 'put it behind' him.

I don't know about Clemens but I doubt Bonds has any plans to become a public figure any time soon.

I wasn't trying to imply that ESPN broke the story, just where I got the story from.

no problem. just a pet peeve of mine, just as i'm sure it would be for anyone else's publication.

and technically, actually in reality, you got the story from The AP (off ESPN). ....

again, it's a pet peeve, because all reporters, no matter who they represent, should get the credit, and in this case it should go to Ron Blum.

jw

He admitted it because he's now on the Cardinals payroll and knows that if he didn't say anything it would dog him for as long as he remained in the game. Now he's got it out there and he can 'put it behind' him.

I don't know about Clemens but I doubt Bonds has any plans to become a public figure any time soon.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Bonds denies INTENTIONALLY using steroids. Didn't he claim he thought everything he used was legit?

No doubt...I remember reading an article to that effect back when he first took the job. It was clear that at some point, he would have to face this since he was now back in the "spotlight."

My point was more that if any of these people care about their reputation amongst the general public, they would be wise to admit these things ASAP. Clemens never will because it's his personality and Bonds is so crazy that on his planet, I bet he's actually convinced himself he never doped.

Andy Pettitte's name came up in the Mitchell report. He admitted to it immediately, apologized and moved on. Now I bet there are people out there that have even forgotten he used HGH.

A-Rod, the most visible player in the league, and maybe in professional sports, got caught, admitted it immediately, took his lumps and then 9 months later was celebrating a World Series. The story during the playoffs was not about his PED use, it was about his incredible hitting. No one cared anymore. If he had clammed up Bonds style, I guarantee it would have been different.

These guys should take the lesson that nothing is gained from lying. No one believes you anyway and it infuriates people further when they think you can insult their intelligence.

In the immortal words of Ace Ventura, Pet Detective:

REPENT... and thou shall be saved!

no problem. just a pet peeve of mine, just as i'm sure it would be for anyone else's publication.

and technically, actually in reality, you got the story from The AP (off ESPN). ....

again, it's a pet peeve, because all reporters, no matter who they represent, should get the credit, and in this case it should go to Ron Blum.

jw

I always liked when they would run one of your stories and then put a picture of Tim Graham in the side bar with a link to his blog section of the website. They never flat out stated that he wrote the story, but it sure did make it look like he was the one writing it. That always seemed like a dirty little tactic to me.