From Allen Wilson's chat today

Let me go on record by saying that Tom Modrak has never, ever, been the problem for the Buffalo Bills when it comes to drafting talent to bring in to the organization. Tom Modrak is a well respected, highly regarded talent evaluator, that quite frankly should have been named GM for the Bills in 2006 over Levy and 2008 over Brandon.

As GM in Philadelphia, he was responsible for - Andy Reid, Leslie Frazier, Jim Johnson, Donavan McNabb, Jeremiah Trotter, Tra Thomas, Ike Reese, John Welbourn, Derrick Burgess, Correll Buckhalter, signing Jon Runyan, and the list could go on. Jeff Lurie, the Eagles owner, wanted to sign Tom Modrak to a long term contract in 2000 - 2001, but Tom Modrak was undecided on what he wanted to do. Lurie decided not to wait any longer, allowed for TM (Tom Modrak) contract to run its course, then elevated Andy Reid to Coach/GM.

Here in Buffalo, the list of players he wanted to draft but ended up being over ruled on doesn't stop with Cushing. Read the following list of players whom he wanted to draft but was over ruled on:

2002 - TM wanted Bryant Mckinnie or John Henderson. Tom Donahoe drafts Mike Williams.

2004 - TM wanted Vince Wilfork with the 2nd #1. Tom Donahoe drafts JP Losman.

2006 - TM wanted either of the following: Haloti Ngata, Jay Cutler, Chad greenway. Marv Levy drafts Donte Whitner.

2007 - TM begged and pleaded for the Bills to trade up 5 spots to draft either Adrian peterson or Patrick Willis, Levey drafts Marshawn.

I think Tom Modrak will stay in Buffalo as some sort of College Talent Evaluator.

I don't know where you got this information, can you elaborate on that?

If true this just goes to show the importance of a clear chain of command on football decisions. I have wondered for years why Modrak's first rounders have not been high impact, yet he seems to find good players in all the other rounds. His reputation over his long career suggests that his superiors might not have been following his recommendations. TM spends all of his time on player evaluation which is precisely why he did not move to Buffalo or take the GM job when Donahoe got canned.

Tom Donahoe's ego and riverboat gambling style is already well documented. When he was GM/President he at least took all the hits for his teams performance and rightly so. Since his departure the Front Office has actually been worse because no one is accountable. Brandon, Levy, Jauron and Wilson ... you CANNOT run a team with four decision makers and no plan. Remember, Modrak just got added to the "Inner Circle" last year. What a joke.

The draft is only one area that has been compromised by this failed organizational concept. Free agent signings were much better with TD at the helm then they were with the "Inner Circle" running things. The common denominator there is John Guy and he has already been quoted as saying that things aren't always what they seem. John Guy never made it into the "Inner Circle" and I am betting that between him and Modrak, Guy we wil be the sacrificial lamb.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you got this information, can you elaborate on that?

If true this just goes to show the importance of a clear chain of command on football decisions. I have wondered for years why Modrak's first rounders have not been high impact, yet he seems to find good players in all the other rounds. His reputation over his long career suggests that his superiors might not have been following his recommendations. TM spends all of his time on player evaluation which is precisely why he did not move to Buffalo or take the GM job when Donahoe got canned.

Tom Donahoe's ego and riverboat gambling style is already well documented. When he was GM/President he at least took all the hits for his teams performance and rightly so. Since his departure the Front Office has actually been worse because no one is accountable. Brandon, Levy, Jauron and Wilson ... you CANNOT run a team with four decision makers and no plan. Remember, Modrak just got added to the "Inner Circle" last year. What a joke.

The draft is only one area that has been compromised by this failed organizational concept. Free agent signings were much better with TD at the helm then they were with the "Inner Circle" running things. The common denominator there is John Guy and he has already been quoted as saying that things aren't always what they seem. John Guy never made it into the "Inner Circle" and I am betting that between him and Modrak, Guy we wil be the sacrificial lamb.

They're not "his" first rounders. He doesn't have final say.

"First of all, we don't know if Modrak and Guy are returing (Guy's contract is up in May). Also, Guy brought in Walker and Dockery because that's who the team wanted. And Guy certainly didn't make the Bills give those guys those huge contracts. The drafts were as much an organizational call as they were Modrak's. It should be noted though that he wanted Brian Cushing over Aaron Maybin."

if this is true......then Modrak did his job.....and as it turns out, did it well as Cushing is AP's defensive rookie of the year.

jauron is an idiot.

That all sounds rather familiar. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, but there doesn't seem to be any overly impressive QB talent in this draft at first blush.

That is likely to fall to us, anyway. If Clausen or Bradford fall, we're likely to strongly consider him for about 10 seconds and grab him. But yeah, they're likely to be gone, and after that, not really any overly impressive QBs.

If this was me, no I wouldn't do that. Start from Square 1 and get the QB position solidified for the next 10 - 15 years. Start with a QB and let the rookie grow with the young talent the team now has.

Definitely agree with you about the QB, just hope you're not implying we get him playing right away. We need a veteran or Fitzpatrick to take the snaps until our O-line gains a semblance of consistancy. Considering there'll be an entire new offense to learn, I don't want to see another rookie QB getting hammered back there like Edwards did.

I feel we need to draft a QB in the top 10. And get that over with right now. We can pick up solid O-Lineman later, and maybe free agency. Me personally, I would be OK with a rookie QB backed by a veteran LT vs a veteran QB backed by a rookie LT. Just me.

Something like this:

9 Buffalo Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma

41 Buffalo Eric Norwood ILB South Carolina

72 Buffalo Rodger Saffold OT Indiana

104 Buffalo Austen Lane DE43 Murray State

136 Buffalo Roddrick Muckelroy OLB43 Texas

168 Buffalo Vince Oghobaase DT43 Duke

200 Buffalo John Estes OC Hawaii

This report was produced using Draft Tek's Draft Simulator: WWW.Drafttek.com.

Something like this:

9 Buffalo Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma

41 Buffalo Eric Norwood ILB South Carolina

72 Buffalo Rodger Saffold OT Indiana

104 Buffalo Austen Lane DE43 Murray State

136 Buffalo Roddrick Muckelroy OLB43 Texas

168 Buffalo Vince Oghobaase DT43 Duke

200 Buffalo John Estes OC Hawaii

This report was produced using Draft Tek's Draft Simulator: WWW.Drafttek.com.

:wallbash: