Today's parody movies suck

Just Jack

I'll add most Judd Apatow (and his progeny) formula movies suck as well. Far too few funny bits encased in a lot of more of the same, over and over again.

That Michael Sera guy plays the same role in every film and hipsters just yuck it up. Repetitiously horrible.

Saw some crappy made parody movie called Disaster Movie today. Thinking back, most of these newer parody just outright suck when you compare them to the classics like Airplane!, Blazing Saddles, and I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.

Comments?

Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein are great too. Mel Brooks got the Kennedy Center Honors this year. They had a big stage number of "Springtime for Hitler" at the end after the ovation, Mel Brooks stands up and puts a comb under his nose. Even a bigger hand.

Saw some crappy made parody movie called Disaster Movie today. Thinking back, most of these newer parody just outright suck when you compare them to the classics like Airplane!, Blazing Saddles, and I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.

Comments?

Its the same crew that makes all of those parody movies these days...and they are just profoundly untalented. Disaster Movie, Epic Movie, date Movie, etc etc are just a series of barely linked references...no jokes. Love it or hate it stuff like Airplane and Kentucky Fried Movie are at least movies.

I'll add most Judd Apatow (and his progeny) formula movies suck as well. Far too few funny bits encased in a lot of more of the same, over and over again.

That Michael Sera guy plays the same role in every film and hipsters just yuck it up. Repetitiously horrible.

But he was in Arrested Development and for that deserves to be put on money

Its the same crew that makes all of those parody movies these days...and they are just profoundly untalented. Disaster Movie, Epic Movie, date Movie, etc etc are just a series of barely linked references...no jokes. Love it or hate it stuff like Airplane and Kentucky Fried Movie are at least movies.

Agreed 100%. There just isn't a Mel Brooks, Jim Abrahams or David Zucher out there right now who's making movies or even writing scripts. I've had the misfortune of reading hundreds of scripts this past year but I can't think of one that was a parody or even in the same vein as a Brooks or Zucher. That's shocking when you figure that of all the scripts out there, even ones from the unestablished writers, there isn't a single one that I can recall that even ATTEMPTED to do that.

It's kind of sad I guess, but then again it's always been a very niche genre.

Comments?

I tried watching Disaster Movie over the weekend. I think I made it through about 15 minutes before turning it off.

I tried watching Disaster Movie over the weekend. I think I made it through about 15 minutes before turning it off.

I was working on some stuff with my laptop, so I just kept it on and would look up once in a while if something sounded funny. I wasn't looking up that much.

Agreed 100%. There just isn't a Mel Brooks, Jim Abrahams or David Zucher out there right now who's making movies or even writing scripts. I've had the misfortune of reading hundreds of scripts this past year but I can't think of one that was a parody or even in the same vein as a Brooks or Zucher. That's shocking when you figure that of all the scripts out there, even ones from the unestablished writers, there isn't a single one that I can recall that even ATTEMPTED to do that.

I can't even imagine what the script to Disaster Movie looked like. I remember seeing previews for it last summer and being shocked all the references were of films that had been released like 2 weeks earlier. Seems like they saw the previews to a bunch of blockbusters and wrote a movie.

although it barely counts as an entry in the genre, but I vote for UHF being the Citizen Kane of whatever you what to call these movies. Something about that movie slays me every time

I think the lack of creativity in the title just about spells it all out. If they can't put in the time to think up a decent title, how can they actually string together an entire script?

I agree, but for me, it's part of an overall trend.

Roughly 15 years ago, I began noticing that there are fewer comedic movies being produced and more thriller/action/suspense type of movies instead.

I figure this trend developed because making comedic movies is a more difficult artform that usually pays much less money. (Even top comedic movies are never blockbusters.)

For my money, Blazing Saddles is the best parody of all time and one of the greatest comedic movies of all time.

Sera plays awkward teen in every role BUT to give him credit he plays awkward very well. I noticed right around the time he did Super Bad that he does tend to play the same role he crafted so well in Arrested Development. I still can't hate on the guy because he might be a one note actor but at least he plays the one note really well.

I still like Apatow movies (40 year old Virgin is a classic and so is Forgetting Shara Marshal) but he does tend to stick to a formula but much like Sera I like the formula and the actors Apatow uses are really funny. But since 40 year old Virgin Apatow's movies have been very boom or bust.

And on the topic of Parody movies sucking is because they don't parody a type of genre (Blazing Saddles with Westerns) they try to parody a bunch of movies released in the last 2 years before it was released and it just becomes of hodge podge of unfunny jokes and bad and often dated references rather then poking fun at the nature of a genre. ALSO Mel Brooks is a comedic mastermind and the fact that he doesn't make parody movies anymore is a big part of why they suck.

Sera plays awkward teen in every role BUT to give him credit he plays awkward very well. I noticed right around the time he did Super Bad that he does tend to play the same role he crafted so well in Arrested Development. I still can't hate on the guy because he might be a one note actor but at least he plays the one note really well.

I still like Apatow movies (40 year old Virgin is a classic and so is Forgetting Shara Marshal) but he does tend to stick to a formula but much like Sera I like the formula and the actors Apatow uses are really funny. But since 40 year old Virgin Apatow's movies have been very boom or bust.

And on the topic of Parody movies sucking is because they don't parody a type of genre (Blazing Saddles with Westerns) they try to parody a bunch of movies released in the last 2 years before it was released and it just becomes of hodge podge of unfunny jokes and bad and often dated references rather then poking fun at the nature of a genre. ALSO Mel Brooks is a comedic mastermind and the fact that he doesn't make parody movies anymore is a big part of why they suck.

In order to defend Michael Cera a bit...dude is just a character actor. now that character might be striking gold right now, but that's surely temporary. he does this one thing well and sticks to it. Movies have always used guys like that: need a dick hire Billy Zabka need a weasel hire Ned Sparks need a snitch hire Elisha Cook Jr need a yuppie hire Bradley Whitford. Micheal Cera's very existence makes exposition unnecessary, you know he is awkward and shy and whatever just because its Cera. It works and he nails it.

besides Nick and Norah's infinite Playlist is the cat's ass--I don't care what my girlfriend says

Isn't it Zucker and his brothers that are churning out those horrendous xxxx Movie movies (insert: Epic, Disaster, Date, etc.)

They've been on a crap tear since Scary Movie 3....someone needs to stop them.