How the coaches were let go

zdro22

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...over-semantics/

Earlier today, FOX's Jay Glazer reported that the Bills had fired their entire coaching staff.

The Bills responded with a statement explaining that the coaches are still under contract, that they are free to seek other work, and that their status will be determined by the new head coach, if they haven't already found other work. While seeking other work. Or finding other work.

Glazer has now responded, making it crystal clear that the coaches have been fired.

"The Bills assembled the entire coaching staff in a room Monday morning and new general manager Buddy Nix informed all the coaches that they all had to clean out their offices and remove their belongings from the team facility no later than Wednesday," Glazer tells FOXSports.com. "Not only that, when the coaches left the room, there were boxes outside the hallway they could use to put their stuff in to clear out.

"The coaches were also told that while they would like for teams to still go about the proper protocol and ask for permission to speak with them if interested in hiring, NOT ONE REQUEST would be denied. The Bills even addressed insurance ramifications in the meeting - a conversation usually reserved for coaches being whacked.

"In reality, if the entire staff is gathered in a room and told they had to be gone and gone by Wednesday and boxes were waiting for them. . . . Hey, if it looks like a firing and sounds like a firing, you get the gist. Not sure why they went out of their way to dispute it, but if they want to get into semantics that's fine."

So that's the bottom line. The coaches have been fired -- and the Bills for some reason are trying to make it look like they haven't been fired.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

though the AP backed off a little on the "firing," we still quoted the person familiar with the decisions as saying that the coaches were "fired."

jw

Hey j-dubs..whats your GUT feeling as to what is going to go down here. How about a top 1 in order of who you think is the head coach come opening day?

The question is: Why would the Bills do this?

Would the Bills be trying to keep them under contract, so they can avoid having to re-negotiate a new contract in the event the new head coach decides to keep an assistant?

I think it has everything to do with the Rooney rule. Fewell's interview would look like a sham if they just fired everyone and announced Cowher/Schottenheimer/Billick's hiring a day or two after that.

Hey j-dubs..whats your GUT feeling as to what is going to go down here. How about a top 1 in order of who you think is the head coach come opening day?

way, way too early. not even sure we have all the candidates assembled yet, but i'll provide this quick list, in no particular order:

-- am hearing that Leslie Frazier is a very good candidate for any coaching job.

-- this Cowher thing is strange, and seems to sway back and forth between days that end with "D-A-Y."

-- is a Schottenheimer times 2 (Marty and Brian) a possibility, well they're both listed in my story today.

-- don't have any traction on Billick.

-- nothing coming up on Haslett front, which makes me wonder if that's dead in the water.

-- the McDermott thing kind of surprised me, don't know why.

-- Grimm's intriguing.

-- bills need a quarterback.

jw

That's what happens when you put a marketing guy in charge. Its pretty obvious that they were all fired. The Bills' front office is just trying to put the best spin they can think of on the situation.

Don't feel sorry for the coaches. They knew it was coming. They're all big boys and they know what the NFL is about. Win and you keep your job. Lose and you're out. Sounds to me like Glazer is just writing up something to get clicks.

Don't feel sorry for the coaches. They knew it was coming. They're all big boys and they know what the NFL is about. Win and you keep your job. Lose and you're out. Sounds to me like Glazer is just writing up something to get clicks.

Or he is just P.O.'ed that his scoop was disputed by the Bills.

I definitely don't feel sorry for them. They should've thrown this bunch out the front door quite a while ago.

way, way too early. not even sure we have all the candidates assembled yet, but i'll provide this quick list, in no particular order:

jw

John -- this revelation is going to get you that Pulitzer :devil:

Thanks for hanging out here and lending an informed opinion (Serious about that)...

though the AP backed off a little on the "firing," we still quoted the person familiar with the decisions as saying that the coaches were "fired."

jw

When I read the Bills' release, I thought about dropping in here to ask someone else to translate it to English for me. Well, yeah, of course they've completed their obligations for the 2009 season. Like Lance Briggs said to the Chicago beat guys when he walked away from them today, "Season's over."

jw

They are actually doing these coaches a favor. They are under contract and the Bills could have waited until the next head coach was hired to make a move. Which likely would have only meant they would be waiting around longer to be fired. They now have the opportunity to find other employment. Helps the coaches by giving them a head start, helps the Bills by limiting their expense if the coaches get hired elsewhere. Who cares what you call it?

When I read the Bills' release, I thought about dropping in here to ask someone else to translate it to English for me. Well, yeah, of course they've completed their obligations for the 2009 season. Like Lance Briggs said to the Chicago beat guys when he walked away from them today, "Season's over."

When I got the text..I said "most obtuse reference to firing, ever". Congrats to Scott or whoever came up with that....its like when they started calling layoffs -- "reductions in force" or "limited restructuring"

I think it makes sense. let any of the guys you want to go look elsewhere or get picked up. However, guys like April who you may want to stick around remain under their contracts so even if they interview for other positions you can still keep them.

jw

Perchance you haven't been following the board recently, but we're all set with Gibram Fitzbrohmwards.