Per Mort & Schefter Cowher back to CBS

drewfla

Well said.

Every reporter "hears things", but in today's environment every tidbit heard by every reporter gets thrown out in a rush to be heard. Best not to get too high or low as these tidbits drip out.

I have no doubt that Shefter heard what he's reporting, but it also could be that Cowher is negotiating. If you know you're wanted do you just take what you're offered without counteroffering? Remember, this is a multimillion dollar deal we're talking about.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless it's Mrs. Cowher it's still speculation.

My take: A "source close to the situation" saying Cowher is "unlikely" to coach next year is almost meaningless. Obviously, it could be true. But it also could mean the exact opposite -- that he is floating the possibility that he won't coach next year in order to up the ante for any team(s) who want to make him an offer. Don't forget, lately Cowher has been painted as almost desperate to find a job next year. Peter King said he might "have" to coach in Buffalo. This could be Cowher's way of saying, "Listen, I'm not exactly hard up here. I can easily go back to my cushy TV job unless you show me the money."

PS Another Cowher update coming up on Sportscenter. Probably more of the same, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

So, since some of us can't read, why is it that you would want a coach that is "beyond overrated"? Now, I know you said that. So, tell us why you would want that for your favorite team?

a) He is a good coach.

b) He is slightly overrated.

c) He is probably the 2nd best coach on the market and we don't have one. Why is this hard to find out?

Again, I would love Cowher. He jsut is overrated because he had a great FO and one of the greatest DC ever. I thoguht this is common knowledge. Furthermore, I feel this is a different league than we he left and it is a passing one. I think we need a proven offensive guy to help finally get us a franchise QB.

So, trust me. I would love Cowher and if they did hire him, I'd stand by the fact I think he is overrated but still a huge score for us. But at the same time, I'm not heartbroken that we didn't get him because of the stuff I outlined above. Look at the league right now. The best teams have 1st time head coaches. Personally, I hope that we finally hired a football guy capable of identifying the right coach to lead us into the new decade.

What we all need to realize is this - We are watching a high stakes negotiation occur back and forth between the Bills and Cowher:

Cowher " I want $11M....." Nix responds "$10M is a great offer........" Cowher could then leak to Schefler and Mort "I am just not interested...... Nix comes back "How about $10.5M........" Cowher to Sporting NEws, Bills look good.

Anyone else kind of enjoy seeing this 50 times a day:

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: DELLAPELLE JOHN.

· View this post

· Un-ignore DELLAPELLE JOHN

Kinda make me wish there was a level beyond ignore....like completely !@#$ing obliterate!

What we all need to realize is this - We are watching a high stakes negotiation occur back and forth between the Bills and Cowher:

Cowher " I want $11M....." Nix responds "$10M is a great offer........" Cowher could then leak to Schefler and Mort "I am just not interested...... Nix comes back "How about $10.5M........" Cowher to Sporting NEws, Bills look good.

don't be silly. The bills' starting offer was one crisp 20 dollar bill, vouchers to the fan shop, a bumper sticker, and a 40 oz keystone light.

Who knows what the true story is? The truth of it is we will know relatively quickly on Cowher one way or the other. Fewell will interview for the gig and that will satisfy the Rooney rule. Now how quickly the Bills start interviewing other candidates will tell the tale. If another candidate interviews on Tomorrow or Wednesday Cowher's a no go. If we haven't heard of the Bills interviewing anyone else for the next couple days Cowher was/is in play.

What is Coach Sal saying?

On Sportcenter, Mort just qualified Schefter's report by saying "But Cowher was willing to meet with the Bills last week. Now maybe he came to this conclusion after that meeting. But we really need to hear from Cowher himself" (despite quotes, I'm paraphrasing). Mort also recalled that last year Cowher came out and said he wouldnt be coaching that season. As of now, he has not done that.