so it begins.. Ron Rivera

Its just a guess, but I suspect that on the day when the Bills do name their next head coach, Rivera and the Chargers will still be preparing for their next playoff game. At the absolute earliest, they can't hire him before the 18th, and possibly as late as February 8th. I think Nix wants to get this over with, and while I don't expect a hire this upcoming week, I do think it'll be sooner rather than later.

But unless those rules have changed, they can interview him next week, because the Chargers have a bye... which makes getting a GM in place THIS week a necessity.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The can interview him, but they'll be interviewing others as well, and presumably some of them they'll be able to hire almost immediately. If you take Nix at face value, that he wants to hire fairly quickly, that probably puts Rivera at somewhat of a disadvantage.

Wouldn't the interview Nix said they would give Perry Fewell fulfill the Rooney rule? Rivera's been someone who has been up for jobs for probably 5 years now. Has coordinated top NFL defenses in Chicago and San Diego using both the 4-3 and 3-4. While I would prefer Bill Cowher, if they're unable to get him I'd be excited by this hiring.

Nix said he preferred someone who had been a HC before and someone who can put together a great group of coordinators/assistants. I agree with that wholeheartedly. I disagree that "defense wins championships". Teams that are dominant offensively can win with good, maybe even not so good defense. The 2006 Colts won a championship with a defense worse than what we have here now. There is a middle ground too.

Wade and Gregg Williams were both top DC's like Rivera(Jauron was an average one) but did not have success filling their staffs with quality coaches.

Particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

The offense is where the Bills have been dying for the last decade. I think it's very likely Rivera will be the hire, but if so he needs to be able to build an offense.

An offense is much more complex to construct than a defense and takes more time, it's not something you can just slap together and keep shuffling coordinators and QB's in and out of. You actually CAN do that with a defense. You can go out, pick up a Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams and Lawyer Milloy in the offseason and instantly become a top ranked defense. You can't do that with the offense. If you are hiring a coordinator to be your HC, that guy should bring success to the side of the ball he is coming from, and usually does to some extent. Hence, the advantage to hiring an offensive minded coach.

The advantage with getting a proven winner like Cowher is a track record for hiring good assistants and the credibility that comes with success. Given the choice between going to work for Cowher or Rivera, which way does a top assistant go? No contest. The Bills have sunk so low as an organization that they pretty much need to hire a HC who can make people overlook the sorry state of the franchise and follow the man. I don't see that coming with a Ron Rivera. I could be wrong, but it's not like we haven't seen this scenario over and over again.

how about mcclain and merriman to go with poz and mitchell? LT Marcus Mcneil from San Diego is also a free agent, maybe nix can get merriman and Mcneil? That would take care of our LT need, Mcclain and merriman would turn our linebacker core around to a great one. Then we have the rest of the draft to get some O and D line depth or maybe a WR at some point if TO isnt resigned.

McNeil and Merriman are going to be RFA's unless there's a new bargaining agreement and probably both given the highest tender available. A first round pick for each it would cost us. :bag:

Hiring a coordinator from a playoff team is going to be a problem. I would not want to see them in a position

where they have to wait deep into the playoffs - possibly after the Super Bowl in order to get one of those guys.

That is just a recipe for a weak staff of assistants as the assistants worth a damn will have already been snapped

up by teams who get their new coaches in place earlier.

That being said, it is a balancing act. Of course, you don't want to settle for a lesser candidate to be your head

coach just because he is currently available to hire rather than wait for a better candidate to fall out of the

playoffs.

Ok, why was the guy let go in Chicago?

Why does his defense stink compared to the one Wade Phillips built in San Diego?

Looking at the stats, it looks like the Chargers defense is not much better then the current Bills defense,how does this qualify this guy to be a head coach?

Jauron all over again :bag:

When Nix was hired, I quickly thought of Rivera, but then nix underlined the importance of head coaching experience at his press conference. Puzzling. Maybe he just giving a guy he knows and worked with the courtesy of an interview.

Hope they don't rush this. I'd wait for the playoffs to end if we got someone like Rivera and a top OC.

Not really a necessity. Smithers might have hired Shanahan and let Shanahan hire his own boss.

A necessity, IF they wanted to interview anyone from the top four playoff teams next week. Didn't think I needed to spell that out again.

I truly believe we will hire Charlie Weiss as HC within 10 days.
Cam Cameron or Charlie Weiss... I don't care as long as its a coach with a history of developing QB's and know how to run an offense.

Weiss developed Brady and Cameron developed Brees, good lord this franchise needs a head coach with a brain who understands an offense.

A necessity, IF they wanted to interview anyone from the top four playoff teams next week. Didn't think I needed to spell that out again.

Spell what out? Are you saying they had to have the post of GM filled in order to interview someone during their bye week of the playoffs for the head coaching job? Even if that is a rule, they already had someone with the GM title, Russ Brandon.

Edit: The only true "necessity" is from Smithers' perspective in that having someone else in the GM seat take the credit for the next head coaching hire puts a nice insulating layer in place between himself and any fall-out that might happen.

Wouldn't the interview Nix said they would give Perry Fewell fulfill the Rooney rule? Rivera's been someone who has been up for jobs for probably 5 years now. Has coordinated top NFL defenses in Chicago and San Diego using both the 4-3 and 3-4. While I would prefer Bill Cowher, if they're unable to get him I'd be excited by this hiring.

Yeah and Greg Williams was (and still is) a top DC wherever he went and you know how that worked out as a HC.

Rivera worked with Fewell in Chicago though, didn't he?

:devil:

Cam Cameron or Charlie Weiss... I don't care as long as its a coach with a history of developing QB's and know how to run an offense.

Weiss developed Brady and Cameron developed Brees, good lord this franchise needs a head coach with a brain who understands an offense.

I agree that offense is the primary need, but Cam Cameron is not HC material. He was a failure at Indiana in the big ten. His successors have been better there. He was almost a COMPLETE failure at Miami. The guy is just not a HC. He has more ability, but he's worse than Dick Jauron as a HC. He's very good when limited to his specialty, which is offense. Much the same as Norv Turner, who didn't even come close to getting the job done in Washington or Oakland, then finally after a decade of experience at the job he is starting to show some tangible results.

Yeah and Greg Williams was (and still is) a top DC wherever he went and you know how that worked out as a HC.

Rivera worked with Fewell in Chicago though, didn't he?

:devil:

Sure did, running Tampa 2... Keep Fewell as DC, keep the scheme, maintain continuity, and save a whole lot of $. :thumbdown:

CAM CAMERON! you want the guy who was almost the first coach to take his team to a 0-16 record? no thanks....im super hardcore, die-hard bills but i might be thinking of leaving town if idiot Cam Cameron brings his lifetime 1-15 coaching record to B-town. Hey if we can't get CC why not do one better and get Rod Marinnelli? he actualy DID go 0-16 one year! hes even greater than CC! wow! what if we can get both of them as a super-coach duo? wouldn't that be awesome?!?!?!?! FU CK THAT!!!!!!