Bills' decision to hire Nix draws criticism

Kingfish

The Bills could hire God as head coach, Jesus as OC and Moses as DC and Sullivan would find something to B word about. Sullivan's job is to B word about things, that's what he gets paid for. It's got to suck going through life being that miserable.

League wide Nix is viewed in the top 5 as a talent evaluator. If we had gotten him from another team everyone would be saying just how brilliant we are. Because he happened to be on our payroll we're idiots for promoting within. If the guy knows how to build a winning team, comes into Buffalo and gets us some actual players, what difference does it make if we found him passed out in Hammer's lot?

I don't know who the NFL exec Florio is citing, but one thing strikes me about the decision to promote from within. The fact that Wilson/Mr. Smithers didn't know the candidates like Gettelman, Studwell, another others. One way to get to know them in through the interview process. It's almost as if they quit looking before they even started.

Is Mr. Smithers afraid of someone he doesn't know coming in an lobbing hand grenades at the operation the former has run for two years now? And will Nix have the authority to fire people that need to go?

Either way, it's nothing against Nix, but I was surprised to hear, like Modrak, that he didn't help handle day to day operations in SD during his time, nor work in their central offices.

The Bills could hire God as head coach, Jesus as OC and Moses as DC and Sullivan would find something to B word about. League wide Nix is viewed in the top 5 as a talent evaluator. If we had gotten him from another team everyone would be saying just how brilliant we are. Because he happened to be on our payroll we're idiots for promoting within.

If the guy knows how to build a winning team, comes into Buffalo and gets us some actual players, what difference does it make if we found him passed out in Hammer's lot?

The criticism of this hire is invalid, at best.

League wide Nix is viewed in the top 5 as a talent evaluator. If we had gotten him from another team everyone would be saying just how brilliant we are. Because he happened to be on our payroll we're idiots for promoting within. If the guy knows how to build a winning team, comes into Buffalo and gets us some actual players, what difference does it make if we found him passed out in Hammer's lot?

There is a difference between being a talent evaluator or working as a General Manager. Scouts are talent evaluators. And to a higher level, so are Directors of Pro Personnel and College Scouting. Do you have any idea what a GM is responsible for? It's more than just scouting I can tell you that.

There is a difference between being a talent evaluator or working as a General Manager. Scouts are talent evaluators. And to a higher level, so are Directors of Pro Personnel and College Scouting. Do you have any idea what a GM is responsible for? It's more than just scouting I can tell you that.

I guess you must have a copy of the job description then? You must know exactly what Nix agreed to do and what roles he be required to fill. You're under the false assumption that all GM duties are the same. Nix isn't Donahoe and to me it seems like he doesn't want to be.

From his comments, he'll will be responsible for hiring a coaching staff and working with them in rebuilding the team. Brandon is clearly the "business" guy. Ralph trusts him and his recent promotion is proof that Ralph is comfortable with him handling the purse strings.

Based on what I've seen so far, it appears to me that Nix is a pure football guy and that Brandon will be running all the non-football duties that some other GM's do. I'm fine with that.

From the article

"And we wonder whether Wilson took into account the fact Brandon has a strong interest in avoiding an outsider whose first order of business might have been to marginalize Brandon and/or eventually lobby for his termination. It's a common dynamic in situations like this; last year in Detroit, for example, an 0-16 finish resulted in Martin Mayhew being promoted to the job of G.M., likely due to the significant influence that Tom Lewand has over ownership."

Seems like typical Ralph to me, but Florio makes a good point.

From the article

Seems like typical Ralph to me, but Florio makes a good point.

well, this the funny part about the criticism. he doesn't actually make a point, he speculates about what might have happened if things happened the way he speculated. if the point is that nix is a bad choice, how about they focus on why from a football perspective he's a bad choice? i'm not a big fan of soap opera journalism.

he also criticized the bills for picking a gm when no one apparently knew they were looking for a gm? well, obviously the bills knew they were looking for a gm.

i have returned to basics. he was a great choice if he wins.

F*** Florio. This article is a complete POS.

The Bills didn't look outside the organization? Sorry, I could have sworn Ralph said they did.

Decision came down to Guy or Nix? Sorry, I could have sworn the decision came down to Modrak or Nix.

Nix is 70 yrs old. So !@#$ing what? I listened to the press conference, and Nix sounded more coherent and rationale than Florio's article did.

Christ, Florio's "source" sounds like Mort.

And WTF does this hire have to do with Bama signing Saban? Let me guess, he's still pissed that Bama signed Saban, and now 3 years later he has to deal with the reality the Crimson Tide has once again become a perennial power.

Maybe that Florio's problem with the Nix hire. Nix will lead the Bills back to glory, thus proving once again, Wilson is no idiot.

I guess you must have a copy of the job description then? You must know exactly what Nix agreed to do and what roles he be required to fill. You're under the false assumption that all GM duties are the same. Nix isn't Donahoe and to me it seems like he doesn't want to be.

From his comments, he'll will be responsible for hiring a coaching staff and working with them in rebuilding the team. Brandon is clearly the "business" guy. Ralph trusts him and his recent promotion is proof that Ralph is comfortable with him handling the purse strings.

Based on what I've seen so far, it appears to me that Nix is a pure football guy and that Brandon will be running all the non-football duties that some other GM's do. I'm fine with that.

There's no need to be sarcastic here. But I will say I gained a lot of insight into what it means to be a real NFL GM by reading, The GM by Tom Callahan. It profiles former GM Ernie Accorsi's 2006 Giants season and I highly recommend it.

Furthermore, each team has a general hierarchy in place. There's the Pro Personnel Department and College Scouting Department. The GM oversees those along with managing the salary cap, negotiating contracts, and hiring a head coach. During the season, there are player transactions that must be made, in addition to the off-season when an evaluation of UFA's/RFA's, a team's own players, and available college players takes place. On draft day, the GM runs the draft room and has built a cohesive strategy of how he wants the football team to be. This is something he develops with his HC, and personnel directors.

Last but not least, the GM has a final say on the roster going into the regular season. He must have a close relationship with the HC, but still be able to evaluate as the season progresses. It is an extremely busy job and not one for the faint of heart. I have doubts on whether someone at age 70 who's never undertaken such a massive responsibility is cut out for it. Nix wants a HC with experience, but he himself hasn't had any as a GM.

Just out of curiosity could someone tell me how Bill Polian came up thru the ranks........

Did he start off as a scout or was he a money guy?

The criticism of this hire is invalid, at best.

I disagree. The criticism of not looking beyond One Bills Drive is valid. It doesn't mean Nix isn't qualified or that he will fail. I'm satisfied with the Nix hiring. But I see no harm and lots of benefit to speaking with guys outside the organization.

Yep. Donahoe was also a President of the Bills. That's why he got into the middle of disputes centering around vendors in the parking lots and signs in the stadium. I think that Nix will have far less on his plate than Donahoe...and probably a lot less clout.

And WTF does this hire have to do with Bama signing Saban? Let me guess, he's still pissed that Bama signed Saban, and now 3 years later he has to deal with the reality the Crimson Tide has once again become a perennial power.

The point of the Saban/Alabama link was that you should not simply accept a person's word at face value. Like Nick Saban, Marty Schottenheimer might just decide he is interested in the Bills coaching job. In other words, never say never.

Just out of curiosity could someone tell me how Bill Polian came up thru the ranks........

Did he start off as a scout or was he a money guy?

I always like to talk about promotions in any arena based on something I learned in the Army: individuals are promoted not for what they've done, but because they demonstrate the potential to lead at higher levels. I have no doubt that Nix is a capable talent evaluator as a scout and personnel director, but it's a huge leap from that level to NFL GM.

For the record, Polian became a GM in his mid 40s. He was promoted by RW, who was also quite a bit younger and I'd argue had more of his faculties back then. That was a case, in RW's words, of getting lucky because BP knew how to do it 24 years ago.

Your point in comparing BP to BN is a poor attempt at conflating the argument.