With our new GM wanting a big, rough team

scribo

We have a lot of undersized guys, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It seems to me there will have to be a good deal of overhauling the roster this offseason. But we all know only so much can be done in one spring.

I don't think that Nix is a fan of the Tampa -2. I would love to see a bigger, rougher, tougher defense next year. If we switch to a 3-4, our ends are way too small. That's the biggest reason I hate the cover 2; small players. If you have the right personnell, it works ala Tampa (when they won) and Indy. Our linebackers seem to be on the smallish side also. With the offensive problems the Bills have also, it will take a few years to get this ship in the right direction. Still, the Bills have rebuilt with worse teams in my lifetime, so it's not an impossible task.

Who goes or stays will be the coach's job not the GM. The GM will get the coach he wants and the coach will recommend the players he wants for his scheme. Any coach or GM not on the same page will be a disaster for the Bills.

We have a lot of undersized guys, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It seems to me there will have to be a good deal of overhauling the roster this offseason. But we all know only so much can be done in one spring.

Where are you getting your OP from? Nix never said he wanted a big rough team in his press conference.

Gone:

- Edwards - His head is way too messed up to be useable in Buffalo

- Lynch - Jackson is much better, we could use the cap dollars, maybe draft pick.

- D-line - need to get bigger, faster, stronger and nastier. Maybe one of our most important

needs in the offseason

- Our strenght and conditioning coach

- AVP - love the guy, but hasn't shown much as OC and when he was QB coach, what did he

really do with Edwards?

Stays:

- O-line - I actually like the line we have, just need to make sure who our LT is. Like our

guards (keep Incongnito) and center. Another year together should help.

- DB's - With the exception of Whitner, they all can stay

- LB's - Mitchell and Poz can stay. Remember a good D-line makes your LB's and DB's

look better

- Maybin - as an OLB until he "grows into his body"

- Fewell - would not mind seeing him stay as DC (even though it won't happen), with and

upgraded D-line

- our DB coach

Needs:

- WR

- OLB

- DL

- 2nd string RB

- Tight End, probably on our roster already

Where are you getting your OP from? Nix never said he wanted a big rough team in his press conference.

There was a one-on-one interview with Chris Brown yesterday where he seemed very clear that he prefered that type of team given the climate and the fact that the team plays outdoors.

There was a one-on-one interview with Chris Brown yesterday where he seemed very clear that he prefered that type of team given the climate and the fact that the team plays outdoors.

He also stated the smaller teams tend to wear down which is clearly us evidenced by so many games we have lost in the 4th.

Our defensive front 7 is extremely undersized. It will be interesting to see how he goes about the transition. How he will prioritize offensive and defensive needs since we have so many. One thing I don't think we will see as much is players being annointed starters without truly earning their jobs...thats probably more of a head coaching thing.

the first step might be taking sam bradford number 1 and then trading back into the first rd to take massive dt terrence cody

What happened to McClain as the pick, you drive everyone crazy because you're all over the board with everything. Just settle down, Bradford IMO would feel like the Maybin pick did. Bradford is too injury prone to play behind this line.

Actually he as much as said it.

While expressing reservations that it might give the Colts some bulletin board material this week, Nix said that when he was at San Diego that they always thought that they could wear down the Colts because the Chargers were a bigger and more physical team.

He also said the Colts were built for a domed stadium and he would not emulate that formula.

Maybe it was during his one on one with Chris Brown, but Nix did state the desire for a big, tough team.

I can't see how taking a QB with the Bills' first pick would be a consideration - unless it is some Randall Cunningham/Fran Tarkenton clone who can run around behind the very shaky OL.

My $.02 worth is that this draft must be about shoring up the OL and significantly improving the run defense.

On the OL, I think that the main missing piece is a legitimate LT. Assuming that Eric Wood can come back healthy, I

like the C and Gs in Hangartner, Wood and Levitre with Incognito in the mix, too. I would *hope* that Brad Butler can

come back and play RT and I'd want to find a mid level veteran RT to compete with Butler.

On D, they need to decide whether to stay 4-3 or go to a 3-4. They'll need 1, possibly 2 starting calibre LBs and

one could come on the inside pushing Poz to OLB. I am not saying Poz isn't doing a good job inside, but he is small

for an NFL MLB. If they go 3-4, they need a NT and a DE (at least 1). I don't know if Stroud or Kyle Williams could

play NT effectively, but maybe one of them could play one of the DEs in a 3-4.

I know that it is difficult to find a trading partner in order to move back in the first round, but if they can do so. I think

it would be advantageous to them to trade back and stock pile picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. They don't need

flash as much as some tough SOBs on the OL and D to make this team at least competitive and those kind of guys

can often be found in those rounds.

Grab some veteran QB as a stop-gap in FA or via trade (but don't give away much) and fix the D and OL first. Next

year they can work on the skill positions...

Gone:

- Edwards - His head is way too messed up to be useable in Buffalo

- Lynch - Jackson is much better, we could use the cap dollars, maybe draft pick.

- D-line - need to get bigger, faster, stronger and nastier. Maybe one of our most important

needs in the offseason

- Our strenght and conditioning coach

- AVP - love the guy, but hasn't shown much as OC and when he was QB coach, what did he

really do with Edwards?

Stays:

- O-line - I actually like the line we have, just need to make sure who our LT is. Like our

guards (keep Incongnito) and center. Another year together should help.

- DB's - With the exception of Whitner, they all can stay

- LB's - Mitchell and Poz can stay. Remember a good D-line makes your LB's and DB's

look better

- Maybin - as an OLB until he "grows into his body"

- Fewell - would not mind seeing him stay as DC (even though it won't happen), with and

upgraded D-line

- our DB coach

Needs:

- WR

- OLB

- DL

- 2nd string RB

- Tight End, probably on our roster already

I seldom agree with a post as detailed as yours but in this case I think the above looks pretty good, Dave. Actually the only kinda serious problem I have with it is Fewell. I don't like his "bend but don't break" style. I know...I know, we don't have the horses and all that stuff, but I'm thinking a little more creative blitzing, etc, would have helped. Also, the past few weeks seeing him as the HC it's become apparent that unfortunately, well.... he is somewhat retarded, huh!!!!

Also, when you say Maybin as OLB, I completely agree, BUT I would push for the 3-4.

In needs you don't list QB. Good for you! I don't know whether or not we agree but it seems to me that we already have a QB on the squad with a VERY good arm, highly intelligent, pretty darned accurate, and has a whole hell of a lot of potential, and his name is not Edwards nor Fitzpatrick. :censored:

It is a bit odd that, on one hand he thinks we're close to having the personnel to compete in the league, and then in another interview he hints at the fact that a lot of the team is undersized, soft and not built to play outdoors in WNY. Which is it? Is it just a matter of overhauling the QB and a few defensive positions (ex. LB)?

You dont need a 3-4 to be big bad and rough as a D. Look to Minn as a model. We need another big time DT. I like Kyle Williams as a rotation guy and Stroud is still decent but we need a young Pat Willams (like Mount Cody). Then we need a big rough run stopping MLB. Poz should be moved outside. Another starting LB should be brought in and should compete with Mitchell. If Mitchel loses out then he stays as depth. Forget releasing him we need to start adding depth to this team. The DBs are fine. I like our CBs and our S's.

On O we need a LT and better depth. IF and thats a big if Wood is healthy I move him to C and make Hangardner depth. We then have an OLine of

LT New player

LG LeVitre

C Wood

RG Incognito (or Simmons)

RT Butler

Then you keep both Lynch and Jackson, and sign or trade for a QB as a short term fix, like a COllins, Hasselback, or Buldger.

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE QB POSITION UNTIL THE REST OF THE TEAM IS AT LEAST RESPECTABLE!

Agreed. We are at least two drafts away from being an upper quartile team. I hope that Eric Woods fully recovers from his injury, but personally I wouldn't count on him being back for the 2010 season. So that means another whole to fill...

Once Nix has a coach in place, they will have a lot of work to do in deciding who will fit in with the new coach's philosophy and who is even worth keeping just from an ability standpoint. He's got his work cut out for himself . . .