Bills press conference @2:30-Nix confirmed as new GM

zdro22

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't understand something quite simple:

70 year old men don't get their first GM gig in the NFL. It doesn't happen. If by the age of 70 with many years in the NFL a guy hasn't gotten the top football job for a NFL team, there's a pretty darn good reason why.

Well, I guess that begs the question: What is that reason? My suspicion is that his biggest liability is age, and to be honest, I really couldn't care less about that. I'd rather have a good talent evaluator for the next five years than a bad one for the next ten.

You are right. I would have doubted it too.

I appreciate your attitude through all this. You were right, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt next time around. That said, I hope you come back and post again when you have some good info.

So, does this mean Marty Ball in Buffalo?

I think the real question is - does Nix have an eye for coaches? That's going to be the biggest decision he makes this year, and he's never made that choice before. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Also - Nix is a 3-4 guy, isn't he?

The Bills interviewed John Guy and Tom Modrak for the GM position?!?!?! What the ?!?!

Way to go through with the thorough process and evalaution for the position OBD.

Why oh why do we have to put up with this garbage?!?! They better develop a kick a$$ coaching staff (ahem, *cough* Cowher *cough*) or else this is going to be the best definition of EPIC FAIL we have ever seen.

Here is the Channel 4 information for reference... :bag:

Buffalo Bills to name new G.M.

Updated: Thursday, 31 Dec 2009, 1:19 PM EST

Published : Thursday, 31 Dec 2009, 12:47 PM EST

John Murphy

Posted by: Emily Lenihan

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WIVB) - Buffalo Bills have called a 2:30 p.m. news conference Thursday to announce the appointment of a new general manager.

Sources tell News 4 Sports that Buddy Nix will be named the team's new general manager.

Nix has served as the Bills national scout for the past season. He rejoined the Bills this past January, after spending several years as a football personnel executive with the San Diego Chargers.

Sources tell News 4 sports, the Bills interviewed two other in-house candidates for the job, Tom Modrak and John Guy, and settled on Nix as the GM.

The announcement is expected to be made official at 2:30.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/Buffalo-Bil...ress-conference

From Wikipedia:

"Nix is considered by some to be one of the top 5 talent evaluators in the NFL. The Chargers have won 4 out of the last 5 AFC West Titles with Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel, in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts."

If Nix was in fact responsible for the Chargers personnel, then he would be, IMO, the best man for the job. He knows this team and what needs to be fixed, and has a great grasp on selecting players to fit needs. Perfect choice.

But, of course, people won't like it because he's not a "big name". Well, for my money, the big names mostly fail on their second time around.

I don't understand why everyone hates this move. He was with us 1 year and we already had our best draft of the decade. So what if he was an in-house promotion. He isn't responsible 1 bit for the current state of **** we are in.

1) that's not saying much

2) you mean the draft that featured a blown 11th pick and no left tackle selection?

I don't understand why everyone hates this move. He was with us 1 year and we already had our best draft of the decade. So what if he was an in-house promotion. He isn't responsible 1 bit for the current state of **** we are in.

past track record with Wilson/Brandon at the helm.

Another old man. The other interviewees were also internal guys who have had a huge hand in this predicament. Almost shows the only intent is to reorganize the chairs on the Titanic