Raising Bills fans....

Pozitive51

I have a nine year old son that has become an avid fan. The Bills have become "our" thing.. and has changed my own experience as a Bills fan.

If you have kids that are Bills fans... you make a point of putting up the flag, cook the wings, wear your jersey and cheer like crazy this Sunday for OUR Bills to beat the Mighty Colts... and if they win you celebrate it as if it were the playoffs. Its the experience and time with family that they will remember and its the last time you get opportunity to do this for eight more months!

Go Bills --- here is to ending this season with a win Sunday and a Happy New Year!!

My 12 year old has become a fan as well. He and his siblings started every Sunday early in the season with a breakfast of TO's (which I was sent to purchase on a regular basis), and wore his jersey as we watched the games (and LOVES the pinto tailgate!). But about half way through the season he saw that they were "not very good". He still wears the jersey and watches the games and plays as the Bills on Madden (albeit with Matthew Stafford as the QB so that he can win). But doesn't get too high or too low during the games. All in all I think he has a pretty good perspective on it.

This is the best post I've read on this site the entire year.

I can't believe how many parents out there just laugh when asked about their kid wearing a Dolphins jersey in WNY. Sure - you can route for whatever team you want in this free nation of ours, but it goes deeper than that.

Why route for your high-school team when they haven't won a game in 4 years (like my high school football team when I attended)? Go with the winner, right! Even if it is the cross town rival.

When that kid grows up and attends Niagara University - will they wear a Canisius jersey to class just to be a punk?

What lessons do people teach when civic pride and backing your hometown (or alma mater) are lost?

Which begs the question - why do they make Dolphins' winter parkas anyway?

my dad tried to make me a giants fan when i was growing up, but i wasn't having it. i was born a bills fan for some reason and there was nothing he could do about it. he warned me about a life of booze and disappointment but i wouldn't have it any other way. i will be at the bills game ****-faced and telling everyone that jim sorgi has gay orgies, and the next year when we win the super bowl i will be the happiest man alive.

Seeking greener pastures in my work life, I've had to raise my kids away from WNY. But I've made a point of ensuring that my 10 year old son is a Bills fan. We flew up for the home opener the past 2 years (amazingly, both Bills wins), he has all the gear (including a Willis McGahee fathead in his bedroom), and watches with me every Sunday via Sunday Ticket. One highlight was being able to capture his image on the RWS scoreboard (thus the avatar) - I got lucky at the stadium and got a heads-up from the cameraman that my son would be put in the scoreboard so I had time to pull out my camera.

I can't imagine raising my kid any other way, but I will admit sometimes I worry that I've put a huge anchor around his neck by bonding him to such a bad team. All he knows in his short life as a fan, is misery and disappointment. So while I feel it's my duty to pass on my love of the Bills, at the same time I worry that I'm subjecting him to a life of grief and disappointment as a fan.

Here's to better times ahead for the next generation of Bills fans!

I can not believe how many of you are traumatizing your children. They will be paying for therapy for years. This could be considered detrimental to the health of your children. You better hope that child services does not find out about this and take them away because of cruel and unreasonable punishment! Please for the sake of your children, reconsider the consequences of your actions! It is too late for us old timers to quit but it is not too late for your children not to start.

PLEASE SHOW THEM SOME MERCY, DON'T DO IT FOR THE SAKE OF THIS GENERATION AND FUTURE GENERATIONS!

I sometimes feel that I passed down a anchor of being attached to a bad team also, but then I think of all the great times we have had the past few years despite the losing seasons. At least at the early ages; its not all about winning. Some higlights of this past year..

* HOF ceremony - we lucked out and got front row seats. We sat in the Bills employee section next to Phil Hansen

* Bills home game - Unfortunately it was the Browns game. But we had a blast played touch football and went to Pinto's

My son took a picture of Ron covered in mustard/mayo/ketchup to school the next day

* Carolina game - tailgated in the Buffalo lot. Again with Pinto and his crew, we impressed our Carolina friends!

* Recruiting - He has two friends that are now Bills fans, the day after the Pats Monday Night game I picked them up at

school and they were all wearing their jerseys with heads high

* Jets game - the OT game... you would have thought we won the super bowl

* vacation game - we were in FlA for Thanksgiving found a sports bar and blasted the Shout song on our ipod player after

every score. The average age in the bar was about 80 but we had the folks rocking!

Yea -- the bills have really sucked this year... but the memories arent that bad!

I have a nine year old son that has become an avid fan. The Bills have become "our" thing.. and has changed my own experience as a Bills fan.

If you have kids that are Bills fans... you make a point of putting up the flag, cook the wings, wear your jersey and cheer like crazy this Sunday for OUR Bills to beat the Mighty Colts... and if they win you celebrate it as if it were the playoffs. Its the experience and time with family that they will remember and its the last time you get opportunity to do this for eight more months!

Go Bills --- here is to ending this season with a win Sunday and a Happy New Year!!

my 2 year old has learned to say "let's go buffalo!" without any prompting as soon as john murphy's voice comes over the sirius. he also yells "SCCOOOORRES" when rick jennerette comes on. he's already a buffalo fan whether he likes it or not, and if the ship sinks, we're going down with it.

This is the best post I've read on this site the entire year.

I can't believe how many parents out there just laugh when asked about their kid wearing a Dolphins jersey in WNY. Sure - you can route for whatever team you want in this free nation of ours, but it goes deeper than that.

Why route for your high-school team when they haven't won a game in 4 years (like my high school football team when I attended)? Go with the winner, right! Even if it is the cross town rival.

When that kid grows up and attends Niagara University - will they wear a Canisius jersey to class just to be a punk?

What lessons do people teach when civic pride and backing your hometown (or alma mater) are lost?

Which begs the question - why do they make Dolphins' winter parkas anyway?

Great Post!

Another example of cool parents letting kids 'express themselves' any way they please.

They arent teaching their kids to refrain from littering in the community, volunteering or showing reverence to the flag either. Not supporting the Home team will most likely get 'more attention'............like lots of face piercings and green hair.

Sorry if I got waaaay off the subject.

I'm sorry but this type of positivity is not welcomed around here. Get negative or get out of here.

JK and love your attittude. I hope you son gets to grow up like I did (I'm 29) with the Bills being a powerhouse. All the best. :flirt:

I am hoping my son (2) will be a Bills fan. I am going to do my best because I cant wait to take him to a game but in the end I will let him make his own decision.

Bad parenting. You tell him he's a Bills fan or else you don't love him, he has to move out, and you aren't paying his way to college. Basically, tell him he has no choice. :flirt:

Great Post!

Another example of cool parents letting kids 'express themselves' any way they please.

They arent teaching their kids to refrain from littering in the community, volunteering or showing reverence to the flag either. Not supporting the Home team will most likely get 'more attention'............like lots of face piercings and green hair.

Sorry if I got waaaay off the subject.

You're trying to equate supporting the home team and ONE aspect of civic pride with green hair? And you missed the basic point of it NEVER happening with high-school or college sports.

Way off the subject?!? Heck, you're not even in the same classroom anymore! What the heck does teaching your children these OTHER good things have to do with this conversation? Why try to take an individual's ONE example of something and make it seem like a universal that needs comparison?

I sometimes feel that I passed down a anchor of being attached to a bad team also, but then I think of all the great times we have had the past few years despite the losing seasons. At least at the early ages; its not all about winning. Some higlights of this past year..

* HOF ceremony - we lucked out and got front row seats. We sat in the Bills employee section next to Phil Hansen

* Bills home game - Unfortunately it was the Browns game. But we had a blast played touch football and went to Pinto's

My son took a picture of Ron covered in mustard/mayo/ketchup to school the next day

* Carolina game - tailgated in the Buffalo lot. Again with Pinto and his crew, we impressed our Carolina friends!

* Recruiting - He has two friends that are now Bills fans, the day after the Pats Monday Night game I picked them up at

school and they were all wearing their jerseys with heads high

* Jets game - the OT game... you would have thought we won the super bowl

* vacation game - we were in FlA for Thanksgiving found a sports bar and blasted the Shout song on our ipod player after

every score. The average age in the bar was about 80 but we had the folks rocking!

Yea -- the bills have really sucked this year... but the memories arent that bad!

Yes.. I will agree even as a ""Cowgirlsfan""!! I am on my 2nd year of being a SMALL part of Bills Nation by

my football friendship with the Aussiew. I even taped the HOF ceremony AND the HOF game. I attended my

first road game in Carolina . I was the FAMOUS one in the Buffalo lot with the road Romo jersey!!. The memories

DO make a difference!!! I am already looking forward to next years road game. Have any one of you guys

ever listened to Sporting News Radio? David Stein has a show " A Celebration of Life Through Sports? It is an

excellent show that features call ins who share their stories how sports impact their lives. The stories match and

compare to the many memories/raising Bills.

You're trying to equate supporting the home team and ONE aspect of civic pride with green hair? And you missed the basic point of it NEVER happening with high-school or college sports.

Way off the subject?!? Heck, you're not even in the same classroom anymore! What the heck does teaching your children these OTHER good things have to do with this conversation? Why try to take an individual's ONE example of something and make it seem like a universal that needs comparison?

I was making generic comparison of the synergy of all around good parenting --- You know, teach your kid to Root for the home team, be a good neighbor, love your town and country etc, etc. --Get over it, please.

I rooted for the home team, went to church on Sundays, became an Eagle Scout and now am finishing a 20 year Military career. Simple old fashioned 1950's values. Thats all I was implying, nothing more nothing less. --- I better go now, my 16 year old kid needs a ride to get weed, hair dye, condoms and a Raiders jersey......get my point?

My daughter is 2 1/2 and when she learned to say Go Bills, I had tears in my eyes, when I put my TO jersey on each Sunday she tells my she wants to put on her Bills shirt (an Edwards jersey unfortunately). She runs around with a football and yells Fumble! whenever she drops it. I feel bad for what she has in store, but I'm proud as hell to be raising another Bills fan!

No way am I saddling my son with that boat anchor of Buffalo sportsfandom that I inherited from my parents...

I dont understand why you wouldnt want your kids to experince the joy of being a Bills fan.

My parents were both from Buffalo and liked the Bills but they weren't that into them when my brother and I were growing up. So I chose to be a Bills fan. I mean there is no other group of fans that care as much about there team, family, and city. I wish I would have been grew up with this. Go Bills!!!!!!

Bad parenting. You tell him he's a Bills fan or else you don't love him, he has to move out, and you aren't paying his way to college. Basically, tell him he has no choice. :censored:

Best post of 2010 to date.

Even though it is heart wrenching torture to cheer for this team most of the time....nearly all it...the good still outweighs the bad. It also keeps you connected with the community if you have moved away and creating newbie fans hopefully, in some way, helps keeps the Bills always in BUFFALO. I can not even fathom my reaction if my two boys did not decide to root for the Bills.....One of those things that my mind just cannot even comprehend; no matter where we live or how bad they stink...it always has to be GO BILLS

Best post of 2010 to date.

Even though it is heart wrenching torture to cheer for this team most of the time....nearly all it...the good still outweighs the bad. It also keeps you connected with the community if you have moved away and creating newbie fans hopefully, in some way, helps keeps the Bills always in BUFFALO. I can not even fathom my reaction if my two boys did not decide to root for the Bills.....One of those things that my mind just cannot even comprehend; no matter where we live or how bad they stink...it always has to be GO BILLS

This is ALSO the way I felt during the days that MY Dallas Mavericks were sooo

bad and also the lack of success of MY Texas Rangers. They both are MY teams

and I will always be their fan. I am sooo old that I can remember not having

either team. Trust me...having a BAD team is better than NO team!!!

We live in Va Beach but I grew up in Buffalo. My son who was born in 1992 has never lived in Buffalo but loves the Bills. He was a baby and sound asleep in my arms throughout the entire 2nd half of the comeback game against Houston in 93 and as dumb as it may sound I have a belief that he got some of my love for the team through osmosis while he slept in my arms that day. One of the 1st things he learned to say as a toddler was GO BILLS!

I was at the home opener this year with my wife, son, and two daughters. We arrived on Saturday (I think this makes four years in a row), the last three with a pop-up trailer.

My oldest daughter can't make it to the games, but I try to take her and the five grandkids to Training Camp every year. They will be 4th generation Bills fans. My grandson is a linebacker and just started wrestling. :bag:

I'll be at the game Sunday, hopefully with my daughter (Babyrock) who is a very knowledgeable fan and great friend. We started the 'two day home opener'.

My father started me as a fan when the Bills and AFL were new. I will be wearing his 1962 Bills Boosters coat, and do my best to carry on the Bills tradition!

Someone needs to call HRS on you for this.

We live in Va Beach but I grew up in Buffalo. My son who was born in 1992 has never lived in Buffalo but loves the Bills. He was a baby and sound asleep in my arms throughout the entire 2nd half of the comeback game against Houston in 93 and as dumb as it may sound I have a belief that he got some of my love for the team through osmosis while he slept in my arms that day. One of the 1st things he learned to say as a toddler was GO BILLS!

1993 Bills fan right here, loved the Bills but never lived in Buffalo either. Its good to here there is more Bills fans who chose to follow the Bills and not the mainstream teams.