wedding

mead107

we where out looking at wedding places today . she is home from boston . went to several places in the albany ,saratoga area .WOW!prices between 67 and 98 dollars per person. inviting about 250 people . must work more overtime :lol:

we where out looking at wedding places today . she is home from boston . went to several places in the albany ,saratoga area .WOW!prices between 67 and 98 dollars per person. inviting about 250 people . must work more overtime :lol:

126487[/snapback]

If you can try to find a place with a package price based on guest range, not per plate. I'm getting married next summer and we got a great deal at the Wydham hotel. Beautiful place with great food for much cheaper then the per plate places.

I agree. if you have the money and want to spend it, go right ahead, but don't put yourself in hock or let your daughter do the same just because the current rage is wedding receptions you can't afford. If it is to be a church wedding and the church has a large enough room for a reception, consider doing it there and asking the women's organization to cater it. They'll make some $ for their organization and you'll get off for under $10 per plate plus fees for use of the sanctuary and fellowship hall.

My son got married last summer. His mother-in-law is a divorcee working as a waitress. His father-in-law is a no good bum. No financial help there for a wedding and reception. We have two girls in a private college at the same time. We sure couldn't foot the bill for a large wedding. My son was working in a convenience store with plans on going to a school for practical nursing (he's attending now, and working part time) and his fiancee didn't have a job. We did a church wedding for about $1,500 for about 110 guests. That included flowers, tuxes, the works. There were two officiants, but he only had to pay an honorarium for one of them. The other one was me. As a member of the church there was no charge for use of the facility. My two daughters, who sing quite well did music. It was very nice.

If you are not a member of a church (or maybe your church chagrges even for members, the fee for use of the church can vary tremendously depending on the area. We suggest a $75 honorarium each for the organist and minister. There is a $30 charge for use of the sanctuary, $50 for our fellowsip hall, and $20 for the custodian. A big church in a well heeled area might charge a few hundred dollars for honoraria and a few hundred for use of the church, a thousand or more for everything. That's still a lot less than the money you're lookiing to pay to a commercial establishment for what they'll provide.

Unbelievable. You want to get them off to a better start? Give them the money for the downpayment on a modest house instead. The seeds of most divorces are planted because of lack of financial stability.

No way in hell would I shell out anywhere near that kind of money for what is nothing more than a ceremony.

My wife and I got married 14 years ago at the Justice of the Peace for $200. I gave her a car instead of a ring. We're still married today.

Weddings are very expensive....and where they are really ridiculous is Long Island / NYC / Northern NJ. I've never seen people spend so much money, they really have different expectations there compared to anywhere else I've been to weddings.

250 people sounds like a lot.  I think there were 150 when I got married and 80% of those people I never saw again.  Total waste of money IMO.

126676[/snapback]

Exactly!

I got married in 1994... Had the reception at Salvatore's and I can't remember it being over 4K... Had about 120 people. Then again that was 10 years ago.

Christ! I can't imagine dropping 25K!!!

We even took a nice extended trip through British Columbia/Alberta afterwards.

For well under 10 grand and then gifts things worked out fine!

I guess nowadays you gotta drag people to the wedding with a barrel of a gun demanding 150 a person gift! :lol::D:D<_<

its me mead not signed in . they just bought a condo in boston 908sq ft big $$$$$$ . i do have a year and a half befor the date . they both have very good jobs .and its once in a life time event .

Dont know how expensive it is, but I went to a wedding recently at Malozzis in schenectady (might be rotterdam). At any rate, they did a very nice job. Might want to check it out if you havent already.