Tim Graham just reported the Bills Coaching Search is on Hold

Amstel

Tim said that Jason LaCanfora wrote that a resolution is "a long long ways away" according to a source and that they are at the start "of a very thorough process" He also pointed out that Mark Gaughan said that they will not hire a coach until they bring in a Legitimate General Manager......

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim said that Jason LaCanfora wrote that a resolution is "a long long ways away" according to a source and that they are at the start "of a very thorough process" He also pointed out that Mark Gaughan said that they will not hire a coach until they bring in a Legitimate General Manager......

A common sense approach? How dare they!

so what went on during the last 6 weeks . Frustrating ...................

so what went on during the last 6 weeks . Frustrating ...................

Did you really expect progress during the season? Many potential candidates are untouchable right now because of tampering rules. The Bills have supposedly approached all of the "name" people that might be on the market and were either told "wait" or not interested.

Personally I am happy that the Bills are not acting manic and weighing out options. We are likely to be stuck with the results for 3 to 5 years so they need to be right more than they need to be fast.

History suggests that brining in a "name" does not equal success. Be patient.

Did you really expect progress during the season? Many potential candidates are untouchable right now because of tampering rules. The Bills have supposedly approached all of the "name" people that might be on the market and were either told "wait" or not interested.

Personally I am happy that the Bills are not acting manic and weighing out options. We are likely to be stuck with the results for 3 to 5 years so they need to be right more than they need to be fast.

History suggests that brining in a "name" does not equal success. Be patient.

I just saying guys like lombardi must not be on their radar or why not talk to him or others while they wait for the season to end.

I just saying guys like lombardi must not be on their radar or why not talk to him or others while they wait for the season to end.

How do you know, outside of what has been reported in the press, who they have or have not spoken with? Logic would suggest that if they were very seriously interested in someone that they would not want to show their hand until they were reasonably sure they are going to land him.

My personal guess is that the "names" on the market are not going to be interested in the Bills. I am actually happy about this. I want them to go after someone who is hungry and fresh. If we get the right people the next decade will be great. We've seen the results of the wrong choices.

I would think that none of "us" should know what they're doing & I would imagine that would even include to some extent the Tim Grahams et al of the world. However, I certainly hope that they have not been sitting around w/ their thumbs up their butts for the last 6 wks.

General practice, at least w/ coaches, in the NFL is that you allow people to advance. i.e. You've got a position coach under cnt & someone is interested in them for a coordinator opening - you let them interview and take the job if offered.

There should be several "asst GM" people out there that we should consider for our front office. Hopefully, we are requesting interviews w/ these types of people and indeed are talking to them.

If not, then we become just another contestant in the musical chairs that goes on every yr at the end of the season. Which doesn't bode well for us.

I was listening to Adam Schefter on ESPN radio this morning and heard him say that he doesn't expect there to be football in 2011. I couldn't listen to the whole thing, but paying a new coaching staff for a year and then paying them for a year not to work doesn't sound like anyone's desire. I guess that's why the Panthers are willing to let Fox stick around for next year.

How do you know, outside of what has been reported in the press, who they have or have not spoken with? Logic would suggest that if they were very seriously interested in someone that they would not want to show their hand until they were reasonably sure they are going to land him.

My personal guess is that the "names" on the market are not going to be interested in the Bills. I am actually happy about this. I want them to go after someone who is hungry and fresh. If we get the right people the next decade will be great. We've seen the results of the wrong choices.

The tread is in response to the link that they have not started . Anyway, we all want the right guy but to say you have to be fresh to be hungry is odd, how about a been there and done that kind of a guy. It looks as though there is not going to be a ton of open jobs so the Bills should be able to get a good personal guy ,either fresh or with experience. Lets hope for the best

In other news, La Canfora reported that it gets dark at night and light in the morning.

I would think that none of "us" should know what they're doing & I would imagine that would even include to some extent the Tim Grahams et al of the world. However, I certainly hope that they have not been sitting around w/ their thumbs up their butts for the last 6 wks.

General practice, at least w/ coaches, in the NFL is that you allow people to advance. i.e. You've got a position coach under cnt & someone is interested in them for a coordinator opening - you let them interview and take the job if offered.

There should be several "asst GM" people out there that we should consider for our front office. Hopefully, we are requesting interviews w/ these types of people and indeed are talking to them.

If not, then we become just another contestant in the musical chairs that goes on every yr at the end of the season. Which doesn't bode well for us.

I agree

So, Tim Graham "reports" that another pseudo-journalist reports that nothing will happen any time soon. Is this real journalism? Weathermen have more journalistic credibility than these guys. They hop around internet sites like we do and then they "report" what they find as if it were real news. I'd bet that Tim has Skooby on his speed dial as a "person close to the Bills organization"

What a joke.

I was listening to Adam Schefter on ESPN radio this morning and heard him say that he doesn't expect there to be football in 2011. I couldn't listen to the whole thing, but paying a new coaching staff for a year and then paying them for a year not to work doesn't sound like anyone's desire. I guess that's why the Panthers are willing to let Fox stick around for next year.

:censored:

Oh sure, because it's a well known and historical fact that professional football players (who's careers have the shelf life of a flea) are firm enough in their stance to take a full year off!

Personally, I felt they contacted the people they did first because 1) they were out of football and 2) they could fill both the GM and HC position. Now that those options are exhausted, it's time to start the GM search, thus the HC search is on hold. I don't think the last 6 weeks were wasted time, it just took that time for the picture to come in to focus a little more. For those suggesting that other teams should be letting us interview their assistant GMs or other personnel, not everyone's season was finished by week 9.

I don't know...It seems to me this search process has been a microcosm of the organization's incompetence this last decade.

If you fire your HC part way thru the season, than it makes sense that you have a strategy in place. Either go after a HC or a GM that is accessible. Sure, some guys might not want to talk till after the season is over. But not all guys are like that. And it's a safe bet that there are more guys in the FO ranks than those that are currently GMs. The pro or college personnel guys ala Da Costa, Gettleman or Gabriel. Teams can talk to those type of guys without violating any rules.

But you constantly have a task/action items list. You talk to the FO guys *now* so that they know you are interested. They get to know you. That way the ball is in play. Your interim coach *already* knows he is just one of the many variables in consideration.

You then have a head start at the gun at the end of the regular season. Instead of the mad scramble when everyone is able to look. I just worry that the 6 week "head start" is all for nought when the rubber meets the road.

Maybe they'll surprise me and make a ground breaking announcement at the end of the season, but somehow I doubt it.

C

I don't know...It seems to me this search process has been a microcosm of the organization's incompetence this last decade.

If you fire your HC part way thru the season, than it makes sense that you have a strategy in place. Either go after a HC or a GM that is accessible. Sure, some guys might not want to talk till after the season is over. But not all guys are like that. And it's a safe bet that there are more guys in the FO ranks than those that are currently GMs. The pro or college personnel guys ala Da Costa, Gettleman or Gabriel. Teams can talk to those type of guys without violating any rules.

But you constantly have a task/action items list. You talk to the FO guys *now* so that they know you are interested. They get to know you. That way the ball is in play. Your interim coach *already* knows he is just one of the many variables in consideration.

You then have a head start at the gun at the end of the regular season. Instead of the mad scramble when everyone is able to look. I just worry that the 6 week "head start" is all for nought when the rubber meets the road.

Maybe they'll surprise me and make a ground breaking announcement at the end of the season, but somehow I doubt it.

C

No they can't. You cannot talk to anyone employed by another NFL team, unless you are given permission by that team.