Norv Turner is proof that we need a GM first

bigbillsfan12

Looking at the way that the Chargers are playing lately and the fact that they are doing it with one of the biggest retread coaches in the league just proves that this team should be concentrating on the GM position and front office staff first and the head coaching job second.

Turner couldn't get anything done with his two previous attempted head coaching jobs, both with dysfunctional front office's.

Now look at the way his team is playing with a top notch QB and balanced lines on both sides of the ball.

It just goes to show that the head coaching job does not make or break an NFL franchise like most would like to believe.

If Ralph is still able to make decisions for himself, he should bring in a top notch GM hand him the keys and sit back and enjoy his ride off into the sunset.

Looking at the way that the Chargers are playing lately and the fact that they are doing it with one of the biggest retread coaches in the league just proves that this team should be concentrating on the GM position and front office staff first and the head coaching job second.

Turner couldn't get anything done with his two previous attempted head coaching jobs, both with dysfunctional front office's.

Now look at the way his team is playing with a top notch QB and balanced lines on both sides of the ball.

It just goes to show that the head coaching job does not make or break an NFL franchise like most would like to believe.

If Ralph is still able to make decisions for himself, he should bring in a top notch GM hand him the keys and sit back and enjoy his ride off into the sunset.

+1. Exactly.

Or maybe Norv finally has some players to work with and has actually been a good coach all along.

You need both.

Norv doesn't get this many chances at being head coach if he's not a decent coach. I think he was probably a pretty good coach all along but never had a functional front office to help him out until now.

So I agree with just about everything here.

The Chargers aren't the best example of favoring a quality front office over coaching. Granted, they have a good front office, but when did they start winning? It was when Marty Schottenheimer was hired. They were 6-26 in 2000 and 2001. It took Schottenheimer a couple of years, but by 2004, they went 12-4, and including that season, they were 35-13 over his final three years in San Diego. To his credit, Norv hasn't screwed it up and the truth is, he's probably a better coach than he's given credit for.

Not that it matters. The reality is that you need both.

absolutely !!.....a GM comes first.....the person with the FINAL say on draft picks & free agents is the single most important person !!

i'll share a total unfounded rumor with everyone.....won't bother to explain the source......that Jim Kelly's group who is trying to buy the bills from Ralph would include bringing back Bill Polian Sr, who would get a stake in ownership. hey, i guy can dream can't he.

I have to laugh at this, and I am not comparing real life to Madden, but... I fired Richard Jauron at the end of season 1...hired Norv Turner, and have gone on a 3 SB winning streak on All-Madden. The GM, of course, was me. This proves two things... 1. The OP is absolutely right 2. I should be the GM.

Again before somebody blows a gasket about Kool-Aid and young fans and Madden, I am fully aware that Madden is not real life, and am not comparing it to real life. I just imagined there were some fellow Madden players out there that might enjoy that.

The Chargers aren't the best example of favoring a quality front office over coaching. Granted, they have a good front office, but when did they start winning? It was when Marty Schottenheimer was hired. They were 6-26 in 2000 and 2001. It took Schottenheimer a couple of years, but by 2004, they went 12-4, and including that season, they were 35-13 over his final three years in San Diego. To his credit, Norv hasn't screwed it up and the truth is, he's probably a better coach than he's given credit for.

Not that it matters. The reality is that you need both.

Butler and Smith didn't arrive there until 2001. In 2000, they were 1-15; the next (2001), they went 5-11.

Butler and Smith didn't arrive there until 2001. In 2000, they were 1-15; the next (2001), they went 5-11.

I know. I'm merely pointing out that Norv Turner took over an excellent team from one of the better coaches in league history. Its difficult to determine who is ultimately responsible for the Chargers' success this decade, but certainly, Schottenheimer and a solid front office team both have a major hand in it.

I know. I'm merely pointing out that Norv Turner took over an excellent team from one of the better coaches in league history. Its difficult to determine who is ultimately responsible for the Chargers' success this decade, but certainly, Schottenheimer and a solid front office team both have a major hand in it.

The chargers success this decade may have a little something more to do with the luxury of having had not 1 but 2 franchise quarterbacks. I mean the team got rid of a franchise quarterback and replaced him with a franchise quarterback. How many teams can say this?

The chargers success this decade may have a little something more to do with the luxury of having had not 1 but 2 franchise quarterbacks. I mean the team got rid of a franchise quarterback and replaced him with a franchise quarterback. How many teams can say this?

That's certainly part of it, but again, that goes back to the front office that brought them in and the coaching staff that maximized their talent. The truth is, the Chargers are an example of an organization that has done pretty much everything the right way: a good front office, good coaches, a franchise QB, a HOF RB, and the list goes on.

The point I was trying to make isn't that Norv Turner is an elite coach but that with a good front office making proper personnel decisions and hiring the right staff is the most important piece towards turning a franchise around.

A good head coach is certainly important to the success of a team but without the right man leading the organization it will never produce anything but a mediocre also ran.

I have to laugh at this, and I am not comparing real life to Madden, but... I fired Richard Jauron at the end of season 1...hired Norv Turner, and have gone on a 3 SB winning streak on All-Madden. The GM, of course, was me. This proves two things... 1. The OP is absolutely right 2. I should be the GM.

Again before somebody blows a gasket about Kool-Aid and young fans and Madden, I am fully aware that Madden is not real life, and am not comparing it to real life. I just imagined there were some fellow Madden players out there that might enjoy that.

Further proof Madden is nothing like real life: I won two straight super bowls with Trent. He was the MVP both seasons.

That means 1. The OP is still right 2. i should control Trent with a magical PS3 controller

This is 100% the reason for their success.

You can have an idiot coach and an idiot GM, and marginal talent elsewhere, but if you get lucky and strike gold on a franchise QB, then you have the recipe for success in the NFL.

Also, being a great GM doesn't mean that you'll hit a homerun on a franchise QB; a lot of that is just lucking out on the right guy at the right draft slot.

I think most agree that we either bring in a good GM and let him pick the HC and rest of the FO or we bring in an elite coach who would be in charge of everything and bring in his own FO to support him. The latter options are quickly dwindling so the Bills will probably go with the GM first. I don't think they can just bring in a hot young coordinator as HC and keep the current FO. I think even RW realizes that.