Aaron Schobel

Aaron Schobel is what he is- a very good football player, but in order for him to be a difference maker- and by that, I mean someone who opposiing teams scheme against, he needs to have a hall of fame type player opposite him. I would package him with a couple other players- maybe including Evans and/or Lynch with our top pick and try to move up to get Suh. Ndamukong Suh is a hall of fame caliber player that you can build around.

When his piers voted him into the Pro Bowl they all said it was because he was a guy they always had to gameplan for and was the one they worried about on gameday...he didnt have a HOF player next to him...

Its been said by opposing coaches many times before that they have to gameplan for Schobel every game and yet he has never had a "HOF type player opposite him" in his career.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ripping Schobel is just bizarre. He has been a really good player for this pathetic franchise, over the last decade of losing. The lack of winning that has gone on here has nothing to do with his play. In fact, it's entirely possible that he would have had better numbers and more accolades on a real NFL team. His career numbers are very similar to Julius Peppers. Peppers is supposedly one of the premiere DEs in the league and has played on far more talented d-lines over the years.

If Schobel retires, the team just has another gaping hole. As it stands, DE is a weakness even with Schobel. The guy is 32 years old and playing hurt but is the only DE on the team that even matters. We can't even rotate our ends because of how inept the talent is. I don't blame Schobel for wanting to retire.

Without Schobel, would there be a more pathetic group of DEs in the league? The Kelsay experiment has failed. He is not much better than Denney and Denney is a borderline backup. Chris Ellis has flat out stolen money from this team. He makes Maybin and McCargo look like studs. At this point Maybin is no where near capable of being a starting DE. What a mess that position would be. :worthy:

Byrd? I don't think he is quite ready for this list just yet. I agree that he had a great year, or fraction of one, and look forward to seeing great things to come from him, but to put him on this list is a bit premature.

No- the other Byrd! I am blanking on his first name!

of all the misdirected criticism that we Bills fans dish out, the criticism of Schobel over the years has been by far the most stupid.

:thumbsup:

Aaron Schobel is what he is- a very good football player, but in order for him to be a difference maker- and by that, I mean someone who opposiing teams scheme against, he needs to have a hall of fame type player opposite him. I would package him with a couple other players- maybe including Evans and/or Lynch with our top pick and try to move up to get Suh. Ndamukong Suh is a hall of fame caliber player that you can build around.

That trade scenario is very flawed IMO. Why get rid of your best DE and your best receiver and one of the best back up running backs for a guy the Bills don't need nearly as much as a QB? The Bills will have a top 10 pick this year and hopefully a stud QB will be waiting for them.

All good players need other good players around them to be great but what a defensive end needs more than anything is to play with a lead more often than not. When offenses are one dimensional it's amazing how good defenses can be. I'll go out on a limb and suggest Schobel hasn't played much with a lead in his career. Add in the lack of another quality rush threat like you said and it's amazing that he's compiled the stats that he has.

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronschobel/ca...ts?id=SCH422487

If you remove last year because of his almost season long injury he's averaged 9.5 sacks a year over 8 years. IMO, that's amazing for a guy on a team that never made the playoffs during his tenure.

Schobel had a great game.....and there is no denying he has had a great career......but this is a what have you done for me lately game. most of his detractors, myself included, feel that his salary cap figure (approx $8-9 mil) does not match his recent productivity on the field week in and week out and especially going forward next year. my beef with him is his lack of strength or ability to simply bull rush his blocker. no doubt injuries and age have hindered his effectiveness of late, but he acknowledges himself that he questions his own desire and motivation......once someone starts talking about retirement, in their own mind, he partially already has.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse...amp;majteam=BUF

Aaron Schobel Defensive Lineman 8/24/2007: Signed a seven-year, $50.5 million contract. The deal contains $21 million guaranteed, including Schobel's first four base salaries. 2009: $3.5 million, 2010: $6.025 million, 2011-2012: $6.5 million, 2013: $8.5 million, 2014: Free Agent

Schobel is an absolutely average DE. The difference is that the rest of the defense around him is so putrid he looks like the best player on the team.

If you look close enough you'll see the contradiction in your words.

GO BILLS!!!

Anyone who hates on Schobel is an absolute moron. He has been one of the best 2nd round picks in Bills' history and has no legit pass rusher on the other side for his entire career. He is the 2nd best DE in Bills' history and it's a shame more fans don't apperciate him.

Anyone who hates on Schobel is an absolute moron. He has been one of the best 2nd round picks in Bills' history and has no legit pass rusher on the other side for his entire career. He is the 2nd best DE in Bills' history and it's a shame more fans don't apperciate him.

:doh: Nicely said.

Byrd? I don't think he is quite ready for this list just yet. I agree that he had a great year, or fraction of one, and look forward to seeing great things to come from him, but to put him on this list is a bit premature.

I think he means Butch Byrd, cornerback from the 60's AFL Champion teams. All time leader in INTs. Excellent punt returner too.

I totally agree with you on this. I would rank him 2nd all time, just ahead of Phil Hansen and Ron McDole. He is an excellent player that shows up every single week.

Corrected.

Some, of us have very much appreciated his play for the last 9 seasons.

Schobel is a quality player and here's to hoping that the coming changes (GM, and HC, etc)

will re-kindle his desire to play. That, and the commitment to field a complete team, unlike

the O-Line and LB disaster Jauron gave us this year.

What he said! :doh:

I think some Bills fans don't think a DE is good unless he's the second coming of Bruce Smith.

I totally agree with you on this. I would rank him 2nd all time, just ahead of Phil Hansen and Ron McDole. He is an excellent player that shows up every single week.

He's way ahead of Phil Hansen, IMO. If Schobel had played on the other side of Smith and Bennett he'd be a surefire HOFer.

your avatar is so fierce im afraid to disagree with you