religion

You were supposed to log in as Crayonz for that one.

Actually the last part is true - the guy across the street from me is named Jesus, and he did clean the gutters for me this fall.

The first part...would you really be surprised, with the popularity of Catholicism in Latin America, if there were images or icons of a hispanic-featured Jesus around somewhere?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the last part is true - the guy across the street from me is named Jesus, and he did clean the gutters for me this fall.

The first part...would you really be surprised, with the popularity of Catholicism in Latin America, if there were images or icons of a hispanic-featured Jesus around somewhere?

I am sure there are images like that. That doesn't really bother me and I find it odd that anyone would think an actual Jesus would care about what race he was depicted as, assuming it was respectful.

There is a certain stigma in this country that is associated with being an atheist. That's because the majority are idiots.

Hey Adam, it's more like the vast majority of religious folks are idiots. I mean, why stigmatize not believing in something for which there is absolutely no proof? I feel no stigma in being atheist. It empowers me, in fact. :lol:

I am sure there are images like that. That doesn't really bother me and I find it odd that anyone would think an actual Jesus would care about what race he was depicted as, assuming it was respectful.

As far as I'm concerned, Jesus can be a wealthy black lesbian athiest. Hell, for all I know he's the the Japanese maple that the neighbor's Sheltie pup likes to piddle on, or the left front brake pad on an '83 Mustang fastback in New Smyrna, Florida. He's friggin' God*, he can be whatever he wants.

I'm just perennially amused by the beliefs of some of his followers, that their image of God is the One True Image of God, because since God made us in his image, we then make him in ours. As though God would be so constrained.

*Yes, VABills, I know he's not really God, just a part of the Holy Trinity, hence one of three parts of God who himself is not God except inasmuch as he is. So let me give you a preemptive "shut the !@#$ up".

As far as I'm concerned, Jesus can be a wealthy black lesbian athiest. Hell, for all I know he's the the Japanese maple that the neighbor's Sheltie pup likes to piddle on, or the left front brake pad on an '83 Mustang fastback in New Smyrna, Florida. He's friggin' God*, he can be whatever he wants.

I'm just perennially amused by the beliefs of some of his followers, that their image of God is the One True Image of God, because since God made us in his image, we then make him in ours. As though God would be so constrained.

*Yes, VABills, I know he's not really God, just a part of the Holy Trinity, hence one of three parts of God who himself is not God except inasmuch as he is. So let me give you a preemptive "shut the !@#$ up".

Maybe we were all just created by god for his amusement.....and I am sure we provide plenty of that with our stupidity

I would agree with you for the most part, but I have noticed more and more hate coming from atheists the past few years. I have been a liberal for most of my life growing up. The liberals of my day are nothing like the liberals of today. I find it pretty funny they call Christians hateful, when all you have to do is read their posts. There seems to be a growing movement against anything Christian or Jewish. They would not dare to insult muslims, they don't have the guts.

Your little shot at my beliefs being misguided. You atheists just can't agree to disagree without throwing your little comments in. As far as having a bunch of Christians hating on you, I'm sorry, I'm not buying it.

There is a movement against religion in general, if you want to call that "hate" I would have a hard time seeing why you do. The most prominent members of this movement (the ones who write books explaining why they think religion is bad) are a bit aggressive, but they maintain that they have to be. For some reason, religion is this sore subject that can't be criticized or debated about in our society, and I think that should change. I look at it as I look at any other belief, in that it should be open for discussion among peers without someone having to feel insulted with no good reason to feel that way.

As far as my "little shot" goes, I think you got me wrong. I have no doubt in my mind that you think my non-belief is misguided, and seeing as how you have a contradictory belief, that comes as no surprise to me. I didn't mean to insult you, but it's just something else most atheists think when it comes to religions such as Christianity.

:worthy: Speaking of cheap shots, coming out and calling me a liar seems to qualify as one. And so,

If you really believe what you are saying, keep the cheap shots to yourself.

Oh, and one more thing: could you please stop lumping me in with liberals? I'm not liberal, at least not by today's standards.

He is fully God and fully man at the same time. He is the Godhead incarnate.

There is a movement against religion in general, if you want to call that "hate" I would have a hard time seeing why you do. The most prominent members of this movement (the ones who write books explaining why they think religion is bad) are a bit aggressive, but they maintain that they have to be. For some reason, religion is this sore subject that can't be criticized or debated about in our society, and I think that should change. I look at it as I look at any other belief, in that it should be open for discussion among peers without someone having to feel insulted with no good reason to feel that way.

As far as my "little shot" goes, I think you got me wrong. I have no doubt in my mind that you think my non-belief is misguided, and seeing as how you have a contradictory belief, that comes as no surprise to me. I didn't mean to insult you, but it's just something else most atheists think when it comes to religions such as Christianity.

:sick: Speaking of cheap shots, coming out and calling me a liar seems to qualify as one. And so,

Oh, and one more thing: could you please stop lumping me in with liberals? I'm not liberal, at least not by today's standards.

Sorry Levi, I hope I didn't insult you by calling you a liberal. Would you like it better if I called you an idiot? J/K :unsure::sick: