Is Brohm the future or do the bills go for another?

zer0vette

I have never really understood why so many people say don't play him because our offensive line sucks and it might somehow damage him. Yes he will probably get the crap kicked out of him, but as long as he is not seriously hurt, one would think the playing time would only help him understand the speed and dynamics of the NFL game and give the fans and more importanly the coaches and future FO (hopefully) a better gauge to see if he is anything.

I understand that not playing him last week as the Pats game was a big deal for Fewell and the organization but now it is really just like an early pre-season. I still want the Bills to win, as I don't think any "real" fan cheers for their team to lose for draft picks, but lets see who might be worth keeping in 2010.

this season is over. bills, pls lose out. I want a top 10 pick. again, the draft is the highlight of the bills season.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Fewell came out and said Brohm wont play this season after joining after mid season shows they expect him to be an option and to compete for the job. They never at any point said squat about Hamdan or addressed whether he would ever see the field despite how bad our QB's have played.

People forget just 3 years ago he was projected to be the #1 pick in the draft but chose to stay in school. His Sr. year he was even better than his Jr. year but slipped behind Flacco and Ryan after his team finsihed 6-6 because the defense at Louisville couldnt stop a high school offense that year.

If Brohm was in the draft this year he would likely be the top QB taken. I would be utterly shocked if we took a QB early in this years draft unless some big name fell to us in the 2nd round or something. I really think Brohm was brought here as a guy with big upside and they will give him every opportunity to win this job. Going with Brohm gives us so MUCH more flexibility in the early parts of the draft where we can address our lines in the first 2 rounds.

this is a good post. If Brohm comes out after his jr. year he is the first QB taken, no doubt. so what's changed in two years? nothing. in fact, the guy is better able to come in as a "rookie", having been around an NFL team for two years. I say go with the kid assuming you had 1st round marks on him when he was in college. he is not damaged goods.

The fact that Fewell came out and said Brohm wont play this season after joining after mid season shows they expect him to be an option and to compete for the job. They never at any point said squat about Hamdan or addressed whether he would ever see the field despite how bad our QB's have played.

People forget just 3 years ago he was projected to be the #1 pick in the draft but chose to stay in school. His Sr. year he was even better than his Jr. year but slipped behind Flacco and Ryan after his team finsihed 6-6 because the defense at Louisville couldnt stop a high school offense that year.

If Brohm was in the draft this year he would likely be the top QB taken. I would be utterly shocked if we took a QB early in this years draft unless some big name fell to us in the 2nd round or something. I really think Brohm was brought here as a guy with big upside and they will give him every opportunity to win this job. Going with Brohm gives us so MUCH more flexibility in the early parts of the draft where we can address our lines in the first 2 rounds.

this is a good post, a great post. thank you. If Brohm comes out after his jr. year he is the first QB taken, no doubt. so what's changed in two years? nothing. in fact, the guy is better able to come in as a "rookie", having been around an NFL team for two years. I say go with the kid assuming you had 1st round marks on him when he was in college. he is not damaged goods. we need more lineman. Stroud is tired, LT is empty, etc etc. do not draft a QB.

When I first read this I said NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO !!

I've seen him play on TV many times and he's never looked very good. I think he's a checkdowner like Trent. But, his starts are way better than I though. 53 TDs 37 Ints and 82.2 QB rating carreer.

I'd probably rather have Tavaris Jackson. I'd defintely make strong run at Kyle Orton. You never know. If Denver falls out of playoffs you never know what that goofball coach of theirs will do. He traded Jay Cuttler. Maybe Duante Culpepper or Chad Pennington if our doctors think he's fit to play. See what Jeff Garcia's up to. I'd also see if Washington would take a 3rd rounder for Todd Collins and pull the trigger if yes. Everytime I've seen him play he's looked very good. He is 38 but well rested and in good shape because he hasn't played much.

None of these guys would be the long term answer, but so what? I'm tired of losing and have no interest in a 3 year rebuling program.

As far as Broehm goes, I have no idea what he can do. I've never seen him play. Let him compete for the starting job in training camp next year. We've got a full off season of OTAs and Training camp to see what he can do. Play him this year only in the case of an emergency.

Shoring up the O Line through draft and FA is number one priority.

If at all possible we need a real QB. I'm tired of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs.

Dude what the heck are you smoking? Todd Collins for a 3rd round pick? I don't think I would want him if he was an unrestricted free agent and came for the minimum salary, much less a high pick. You must be enjoying this decade of futility, it would only get worse with Collins.

Prepared to be shocked.

Three years ago, Jamarcus Russell WAS the #1 pick. If the Raiders released Russell today and the Bills picked him up, would you expect them to ignore other QBs because we acquired 2007's #1 pick? No you wouldn't because what Russell did in college is irrelevant now that he's a bust in the NFL. At this point Brohm is a guy who wasn't good enough to make a team's roster and we picked him up on a flyer-just like if we picked up Russell, it would be on a flyer.

One other thing you're forgetting-the guys who were responsible for bringing Brohm here won't have anything to do with the on-field Buffalo Bills football operation next season. Brandon is being kicked upstairs to concentrate on what he does best-managing and marketing-not making football personnel decisions. The new guys won't care what the losers they replaced were thinking when they brought in Brohm. As a result, nobody except guys who have already proven they can play will be considered anything other than another body on the roster.

There is a huge difference...Brohm is in his second year and never played a down in the NFL or with a first team offense. Russel has all the first team reps for 3 years and has blwon on just about every snap he has taken. Brohm was stuck behind one of the top 5 qb's in this league and a fellow draftee who the Packers love and felt was more ready to play if Rodgers got hurt.

The comparison isnt even remotely similar.

If you want a guy known for developing unknowns into leading QBs, look no further than...

Texas Tech quarterbacks under Mike Leach

How Mike Leach keeps producing prolific passers

I'd love to see what Leach could do with Brohm - and the Bills WRs.

See:

Well, see every QB that Leach has coached at TT if you want to get an idea as to how bad he prepares them for real football.

Come on Senator---where are all of these "leading QBs" that Leach has developed now?

There is a huge difference...Brohm is in his second year and never played a down in the NFL or with a first team offense. Russel has all the first team reps for 3 years and has blwon on just about every snap he has taken. Brohm was stuck behind one of the top 5 qb's in this league and a fellow draftee who the Packers love and felt was more ready to play if Rodgers got hurt.

The comparison isnt even remotely similar.

I guess there's always hope with a guy who has never taken an NFL snap, even though GB cut him & nobody in the league was even willing to claim the guy on waivers last September. 32 teams didn't think Brohm was worthy of a roster spot.

Also, what about the fact that the guys who brought in Brohm won't be here next year? He better show something if he plays the next 2 games because nobody is coming in and betting his future on a guy the losers who got fired brought in.

To give the job to Brohn without competition would be a huge mistake......they need to play him a lot to see what they have AND bring in a veteran QB.

And in the meanwhile make a real effort to improve this O line across the board AND bring in a blocking TE to complement Nelson. I actually like were we are at center and Guard......we need OT's......good ones.

I like Jason Campbell as a stopgap. He is playing half way decent this season and is still young. Washington is a flat out terrible situation for a QB, just like here.

If you can visualize him as a caretaker, it's not a bad choice. The team could then bring in a handful of young QBs to fight it out and hopefully develop.

I agree, either him or Tavaris Jackson, who is also young and has starting QB experience. Do you keep Fitzy as backup/mentor or go with Brohm and perhaps a mid round draft choice?

See:

Well, see every QB that Leach has coached at TT if you want to get an idea as to how bad he prepares them for real football.

Come on Senator---where are all of these "leading QBs" that Leach has developed now?

You have to ask has a college system QB ever made it in the pros? David Klingler, Andre Ware, Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons, Graham Harrell and even Colt Brennan. None have accomplished anything in the NFL. Now, someone with a Mike Leach hard on is saying Mike Leach is the answer. He could be, but judging from his QB's "accomplishments" in the NFL, I'd say no.

As far as Brohm being the future, as many are saying, he hasn't done much, and if someone wants to point to Brett Favre and the Atlanta situation as an example of a 3rd stringer, Jerry Glanville was an ass, and just had something against Favre. The Packers were fortunate picking Favre up and the rest is history. I doubt McCarthy had something against Brohm. It's just that he wasn't that good. Sure, give him another chance, and yes bring in a QB coach. Wasn't Sam Wyche brought in as a QB coach to help Losman? That worked well.

I guess there's always hope with a guy who has never taken an NFL snap, even though GB cut him & nobody in the league was even willing to claim the guy on waivers last September. 32 teams didn't think Brohm was worthy of a roster spot.

Also, what about the fact that the guys who brought in Brohm won't be here next year? He better show something if he plays the next 2 games because nobody is coming in and betting his future on a guy the losers who got fired brought in.

You are of course aware of 2 things. 1. The packers tried to keep Brohm by matching our contract offer. So thats a good sign right there. 2. Not every team uses there PS as a place for no talent chumps to sit and wait for there inevitable promotion due to injury. A lot of franchises use there PS as a place to hide guys who they beleive have a lot of talent but for one reason or another arent quite ready to play yet.

I don't think it makes a bean of difference. We need someone who can help develop a QB first. That's the one thing all the good QBs have. Even Kelly had Marchibroda. Manning has Moore. Brady had Belichik/Weis. Right now our staff couldn't develop photographs at WalMart.

C

Dont forget Losman had Sam Wyche!!!!!!

You are of course aware of 2 things. 1. The packers tried to keep Brohm by matching our contract offer. So thats a good sign right there. 2. Not every team uses there PS as a place for no talent chumps to sit and wait for there inevitable promotion due to injury. A lot of franchises use there PS as a place to hide guys who they beleive have a lot of talent but for one reason or another arent quite ready to play yet.

1)If the Packers were truly interested in keeping Brohm, they would have tried to EXCEED our offer, not try to match it.

2)I'm aware that you have to clear waivers to be on a practice squad and no team is going to waive a 2nd rounder in hopes of sneaking him on a practice squad unless he's bad enough to clear waivers. Unless the guy has been really awful, some team will claim him-just look at QB Kevin O'Connell a 1st day pick last year who was claimed by Detroit when the Pats waived him & then traded to the Jets.

2. Not every team uses there PS as a place for no talent chumps to sit and wait for there inevitable promotion due to injury.

The Bills don't even do that. They put guys literally nobody wants, including themselves regardless of how long the IR list gets, on their game day roster on their practice squad with but a few exceptions.

If we go into next year with Brohm as the starter, we are in big trouble once again. You really want to go into a season with a guy who was beaten out by a 5th round rookie in Green Bay, has 0 career regular season passes and looked totally lost in pre-season games?

And Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell were both relegated to being bench warmers and written-off as busts until they both decided that they actually wanted to play. Wasn't Russell recently beaten out by Gradkowski, a sixth round pick out of Toledo?

Point being that give Brohm a chance to play before you write the guy off. He wasn't going anywhere in GB anyways with Rodgers as starter.