2009 Re-Do Draft Picks

RyanC882

Thats pretty interesting.....and frustrating. I'd still be okay with Wood at 28. I think he was excellent all year and if he can come back okay, we are in good shape at guard for awhile. We hit on 3 or the top 4 picks, but if we had taken Oher or Orakpo at 11, what a draft it would have been. Don't remember what overall pick Levitre was, but was Loadholt available? That would have been nice too.

Bills proved to be fairly big idiots by passing on the completely obvious best pass rusher/DE in the draft AND the best LT available who would not have been a reach at 11 by any means as he no doubt should have went before A.Smith and maybe even E. Monroe depending on who you talk to. Levitre has been very solid but as I remember there were other G prospects rated higher then him who I have heard have played well for other teams. The guys from Wisconsin (Ubrick?) comes to mind - he starts for the Steelers I think and the Texas Tech Vasques who starts for the Chargers come to mind. We could have landed one of those two without trading up.

The Bills had a solid draft - but in the NFL you have to be near perfect. Landing guys like Wood Byrd Harris and Nelson are what you have to do every season - but you can not miss with your top pick ie Maybin - I dont have to wait 3 years to tell you he will never be as good as Orakpo or Oher - or waste picks trading up for guys who may not warrant the trade up (this has been argued of the Poz pick as well). The Bills can never make up any ground on the top teir teams because for as many gems they find (McGee, Butler, K.Williams) they blow what should be the sure fire picks (M.Williams Losman, McGahee, Maybin).

Banks, who I like, has 1.5 defensive linemen (Orakpo is really a rush LB) and 3 OTs going in the first round. That's 4-4.5 linmen total out of 32. That's not how the real world works in the NFL. If the draft happened again today, it wouldn't play out like this.

Great points. Plus correct me if I am wrong isn't Oher playing RT for the Ravens. Noone drafts a RT that high. They only get moved to RT or G if they can't play LT ie. Robert Gallery.

Hmmm Orakpo is playing LB.... Why hasn't this board thought of that idea for Maybin before???? LOL. I still can come up with no reason why Maybin has not seen significant snaps at OLB. There has been plenty of time to teach him how frickin hard can it be. At least on a situational basis he should be more of a pass rushing threat than Scott, Draft, or palmer.

Hey why don't we draft like this every year, just re-do the draft after everyone is 100% on how good everyone is, the draft is just as much art as it is science, and just about as much luck. I hate these things they are stupid and pointless, with the coaching the Bills have(or had) who is to say that Orakpo isn't doing the same thing as Maybin.

Banks, who I like, has 1.5 defensive linemen (Orakpo is really a rush LB) and 3 OTs going in the first round. That's 4-4.5 linmen total out of 32. That's not how the real world works in the NFL. If the draft happened again today, it wouldn't play out like this.

Excellent point.

More evidence that when it comes to line play--the most important part of the game--reporters like Banks and Peter King don't know any more about the game than your average crazy fan. They can understand that someone like Orakpo has registered a lot of sacks--and therefore must be good--but beyond that, they are completely clueless and rely only on information they are fed by "insiders"--scouts and GMs who usually have an agenda. You can't tell me that Banks has spent a lot of hours grading out film on Oher and comparing it to the other O-lineman taken in the first round. He's just parroting what he's been told. Ditto for Peter King. One notable exception would be Paul Zimmerman of SI, who unfortunately is not writing any more because of health problems.

Hey why don't we draft like this every year, just re-do the draft after everyone is 100% on how good everyone is, the draft is just as much art as it is science, and just about as much luck. I hate these things they are stupid and pointless, with the coaching the Bills have(or had) who is to say that Orakpo isn't doing the same thing as Maybin.

How is it that Bill Polian built the best teams in the NFL everywhere he has been? The draft is most certainly not a crap shoot like everyone says it is. Anyone with an eye for talent who does their due diligence will be successful 80-90% of the time. Ive never heard Mike Mayock miss on a prospect, but idiots like Kiper and Modrak miss all the time. Its all about who is running your draft room - not art, science, or luck.