Name a CD

ieatcrayonz

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

adding two more, both by The Drive By Truckers

"Brighter Than Creation's Dark," which is one of the strongest albums put out in the latter half of this decade

and

"Decoration Day," which i just picked up, but came out in 2003.

and of course there's a 'Mats connection. Peter Jesperson, the guy who discovered and gave The Replacements their start now has a hand in the DBT's. boy, howdy.

jw

i have heard good things about them...haven't given them a listen yet, but i definitely will

I just saw the Gaslight Anthem Live last Friday in New Jersey. They were excellent live (A rarity these days) and really had a good time being back in their home state. The crowd (A sell out crowd of about 3000 and change) was really into the show and they even played a new track off of their upcoming 2010 album.

"Brighter Than Creation's Dark," which is one of the strongest albums put out in the latter half of this decade

and

and of course there's a 'Mats connection. Peter Jesperson, the guy who discovered and gave The Replacements their start now has a hand in the DBT's. boy, howdy.

jw

DBT's are great and those are both fine albums, but I still think their best is "Southern Rock Opera", which came out before Decoration Day

and

jw

Hey jw, I appreciate your love of the Replacements...I think they are the last rock -n' roll band I really loved. I remember going to see them at September's, way back when "Color Me Impressed" was their newest "hit". Much as I love them, I have been very underwhelmed by Pal's solo career. It got to the point where I just stopped buying his solo stuff, and, alas, finally just lost track of him. What do you think of his post-'Mats stuff? Any gems I am missing out on?

Love DBT, saw them earlier in the year...man do they rock the house :unsure:

and

jw

ok old school:just a quick few I luv listening to...

thin lizzy-jailbreak

deep purple-perfect strangers

ac/cd-back in black& for those about to rock & of course highway to hell

night ranger-midnight madness

countless others-love the ipod invention, takes the best of all great albums

and makes a hell of a playlist.....

Hey jw, I appreciate your love of the Replacements...I think they are the last rock -n' roll band I really loved. I remember going to see them at September's, way back when "Color Me Impressed" was their newest "hit". Much as I love them, I have been very underwhelmed by Pal's solo career. It got to the point where I just stopped buying his solo stuff, and, alas, finally just lost track of him. What do you think of his post-'Mats stuff? Any gems I am missing out on?

really, someone mentioned AC/DC? am i that old? ok, i'll bring up "Exile on Main Street." fer crying out loud. or how bout, "London Calling"

in a piss-poor mood, after another long week and a job that now involves two coaching searches. scoop: UB hopes to have a press conference by next week. have a dark-horse candidate, but sworn to secrecy ... sorry spartacus. another blow for the fifth estate. we're doomed. goddamed doomed, i tell you.

but now to the topic at hand.

buftex, i hate to tell you, but in my opinion you are missing out.

"Stereo/Mono" by Paul (i'll ignore your reference to "Pal," as an honest mistake :lol: tee,hee).

and for those who missed it, Mr. Westerberg put out what I consider to be the album of the decade (though that's not saying much considering the crap that's come out lately, including Springsteen and Green Day's latest contributions to the baloney bin). and Paul's epic was called 49:00, which was out for about two weeks on Amazon before it was pulled because of apparent copyright infringements because it featured a medley of songs that likely wasn't going to pay the royalty freight because the album was selling for under a buck.

he made up for it by putting out 5:05, in which he told the lawyers to go do something with themselves.

and buftex, i'll, tell you the same thing i had said to a colleague of mine recently. if you want to appreciate the vibrancy of Paul post-Mats, give two songs a listen:

"Fugitive Kind" (and you have to get through the prologue, you'll get what I mean when/if you hear it)

"Gunshy"

if there was a bizarro world for rock and roll hits and what should be on the radio (which is why i've not listened to radio for about 20 years), then this would be it.

Mats Rule!!!!!!

the one time i allow myself to be a fan.

jw

everyone complains about Chinese Democracy, but its a good album... not old GNR, but dont expect it to be.

stop that. hey, Tommy Stinson's on it, and considering he's a former member of the The Replacements, and someone whom i've interviewed, i wouldn't suggest that this album is anything more than an over-produced penis-envy ode to someone who used to be good, but no longer is because his ego got the best of him.

hell, it's no better than the crap rod stewart put out last year. ouch.

jw

Tim

Let it Be

Pleased to Meet Me ...

must i go through the entire Replacements catalogue?

jw

Yes, all essential.

Mannequin Men: Use Your Illusion, Too

Guided By Voices: Under the Bushes, Under The Stars

Japandroids: Post Nothing

Dinosaur Jr: Farm

Lucero: 1372 Overton Park

Dark Meat: Truce Opium

The Fresh & Onlys: Grey Eyed Girls

And, apart from the GBV, all from this year. Go forth and rock

That last album Stinson put out as "Perfect" is pretty great. Westerberg has put out some real solid solo jams, personally I dig "Come Feel Me Tremble" the most