Do you travel for Christmas, do your kids come home?

mead107

Our daughter and her husband come in from Boston,and our son who is currently In Iraq on business is flying back to the states on Monday and will be able to come home from Reston VA. We do Christmas Eve dinner and my sister is doing Christmas day dinner. Then the following weekend my wife's family comes in and we do 2nd Christmas.

I'm 45 years old, and have not lived in Buffalo since going off to college - but have literally gone back to Buffalo (Lancaster) for Christmas every single year of my life (seems kind of freaky to say it now and think about it).

My wife is also from the area and we've always gone back to split time at our parents' houses - usually all our siblings also come in for some part of the holiday from all over the country which is actually a pretty impressive feat.

My kids are 11 years old - they actually have never been in our actual house for Christmas day. We have always had 'our' Christmas before we left for Buffalo (Santa always came to our house early), then had Christmas eve at my wife's parents house, then Christmas day at my parents. My kids have never known anything different and never thought anything of not being home on Christmas day - if anything they always liked having three Christmases :lol: - and being around their grandparents, cousins, aunts/uncles - nothing beats being around extended family for the holidays - and getting together with old friends still in the area or who also still come back.

We're going to our daughter/Soninlaw and grandchildrens home in Jax, FL. Last year, they and our son came here to the 'Nooga. My parents are WNY/Winter Haven Fl snowbirds, and will be there as well.

As wifey and I do not have any kids, it seems that we are "expected" to travel to our families for the holidays. This Thanksgiving was the first without any other family. We will be headed to Jax as well for Christmas. Parents will be coming over from The Villages.

We havent traveled in years. Its a 12 hour drive and after everyone else goes home to their families being stuck in a hotel on christmas eve and day is not my idea of a nice holiday.

You travel 12 hours to see your kid(s) and do not stay in their house/apartment?

Three of mine are local and one drives in from Connecticut (and stays with us).

When we go to CT, we bring an inflatable queen size mattress, since her living is limited. She offered to let us sleep in her bed, and she'd take the couch, which is nice.

We will have 30-40 people at our house Christmas day. :wallbash:

You travel 12 hours to see your kid(s) and do not stay in their house/apartment?

Three of mine are local and one drives in from Connecticut (and stays with us).

When we go to CT, we bring an inflatable queen size mattress, since her living is limited. She offered to let us sleep in her bed, and she'd take the couch, which is nice.

We will have 30-40 people at our house Christmas day. :wallbash:

Directions? With so many folks I'm sure you wouldn't mind a few more.

Our daughter and her husband come in from Boston,and our son who is currently In Iraq on business is flying back to the states on Monday and will be able to come home from Reston VA. We do Christmas Eve dinner and my sister is doing Christmas day dinner. Then the following weekend my wife's family comes in and we do 2nd Christmas.

Parents almost never consider traveling to a child's home. Be it local, or be it far-flung.

People can get mad if their kids can't afford to make the journey, and say regrettable things, lay some guilt on, that can never be taken back.

Like the ringing of a bell - it can't be retracted. Done and over.

Parents almost never consider traveling to a child's home. Be it local, or be it far-flung.

People can get mad if their kids can't afford to make the journey, and say regrettable things, lay some guilt on, that can never be taken back.

Like the ringing of a bell - it can't be retracted. Done and over.

Interesting. Not so in my family. Now a 'grand', we're traveling to see the kids and grandies and my folks Great-Grandies) are as well. They -my parents- came to our Florida home for 14 years. We just decide somewhere through the course of the year where Chrisdtmas will be and we all meet there.

This may come to end now, though, as our Grandies are 4 & 2 yrs. old and their parents prefer to have Christmas at their home now..

As for the bolded part, yep, my Mom works that schit all the time. It bothers my sisters, but I just blow it off.

I'd love to go home for Christmas, but airfare for the 4 of us would be nearly 2K and I just put 1700$ into my jeep. Had to, not fun stuff.

It's going to be a record high today somewhere in the mid 80's. Anyway, house lights are up and on, and I can pretend.

The important thing is that the nuclear family will be together.

It depends... Our (my wife and I) parents are well into their 70's... I don't expect them to travel during the winter months. With me it is just my Father... He is in his late 70's too and losing his eyesight... He hasn't driven or traveled in almost 7 years.

This is the first Christmas that my Kids and us may not all be together. My son became a full time ski instructer in Massachussetts, (Jiminy Peak) and he is working the holiday, My wife is asking that we get a place for the weekend so we can all be together. (his 21st Bday is the day after xmas). Still looking for hotels