Fewell on Maybin

CountDorkula

IF AM turns into a Freeney type player, will we really care about a rookie year when he was 21 years old?

Of course not, but I think the odds of that happening are remote.

I also think the narrow focus by the FO on pass rush was misplaced. The lack of sacks gets the headlines, but the inability to stop the run is what keeps this team from having any hope of sustained success (and keeps them tentative on the pass rush). They are on pace to allow 2750 yard rushing this year! That is 50% worse than the NFL average -- and average still doesn't make the playoffs.

They should not be drafting undersized guys for the front 7, period.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
When I heard Goodell say "With the 11th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the Buffalo Bills select DE Aaron Maybin" I punched a baby in the face.

I would punch me to if I were you.

Guest dog14787
That statement just flushed any cred you had left down the loo.

PTR

PTR you know how I feel about Trent Edwards, but he's useless behind our O-line. Losman runs well and throws on the run well, although I realize that's another thing we disagree on.

Is it possible to disagree without someones credibility coming into question, if there's one thing I'm not , its dishonest...

PTR you know how I feel about Trent Edwards, but he's useless behind our O-line. Losman runs well and throws on the run well, although I realize that's another thing we disagree on.

Is it possible to disagree without someones credibility coming into question, if there's one thing I'm not , its dishonest...

Whatever. Believe anything you want. I'm surprised people don't lobby to bring back Rob Johnson and Todd Collins for that matter.

PTR

Maybin is an LB. Why not start him now?

Since the bill are not getting any production out of him at DE, I guess it could not hurt to try him at OLB. He is not however, a LB. Many bills fans feel that OraKpo should have been the bills selection at 11, and while he has looked better than Maybin, he has really struggled. True nfl fans know that he has lost a lot of playing time recently and has been exploited by opposing defenses. Many big plays have gone against Washington with him on the field, especially in the running game. Maybin has not played LB and would struggle like Orakpo at that position. The bills best bet is work on his strength and technique. Many talent evaluators commented that Maybin was a major talent, but one that needed development. He left Penn State after his sophomore year and played at 225 pounds. While it is to early to give up on him, there is reason to have concern. The bills really need a pass rusher, so let's hope for the best.

Many bills fans feel that OraKpo should have been the bills selection at 11, and while he has looked better than Maybin, he has really struggled. True nfl fans know that he has lost a lot of playing time recently and has been exploited by opposing defenses. Many big plays have gone against Washington with him on the field, especially in the running game. Maybin has not played LB and would struggle like Orakpo at that position.

+1

Orakpo is better than Maybin yes, by alot probably but he to is a project for them. Just an easier one. They neede a stud LB to help POZ out. The nock on POZ is he is a terrible LB but when teams plan around him what do you expect, who is his help. When we get another stud linbacker in here you can bet your :ph34r: that POZ will be good.

Guest dog14787
Whatever. Believe anything you want. I'm surprised people don't lobby to bring back Rob Johnson and Todd Collins for that matter.

PTR

Our organization has shown total disregard for its players by not granting them new contracts when they succeed or just kicking them to the wayside when they fail. By all means though, judge Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Ryan Fitzpatrick and every QB right on down the line for a decade of losing. It seems to be a popular belief around here and one I used to share, but not any more,

Lack of proper management is the problem with this Buffalo Bills Football team...

"It took (Maybin) awhile to understand what we wanted and how we wanted it," Fewell said Wednesday. "He really turns it up a notch in practice and he's really been practicing well for us. That hasn’t always transferred to the game.

Translation: Maybin has had successes against the Bills' chump offensive line, in practice, but hasn't been able to get it done against the real offensive linemen he's faced in games.

That's not necessarily a knock against Maybin, as it often takes rookie DLs a while to adjust to the NFL game. At least he's already succeeding against the our current sorry group of tackles, which is, at least, a beginning.

Translation: Maybin has had successes against the Bills' chump offensive line, in practice, but hasn't been able to get it done against the real offensive linemen he's faced in games.

That's not necessarily a knock against Maybin, as it often takes rookie DLs a while to adjust to the NFL game. At least he's already succeeding against the our current sorry group of tackles, which is, at least, a beginning.

Maybin really needs to spend this offseason and next year in the weight room and depending on the new regime, practicing the position they will use him in - either OLB (edge rusher) or DE....... he really should be a SR in college this year. If by the end of next year and start of his 3rd year he still isn't doing anything then we whiffed big time.

The F.O. had no business taking a project like him with all the holes on this team. Oher or Cushing should have been taken.

I hope Maybin does work out and becomes a stud but with the track record of the FO we should all be worried he is Eric Flowers pt. 2

Maybin really needs to spend this offseason and next year in the weight room and depending on the new regime, practicing the position they will use him in - either OLB (edge rusher) or DE....... he really should be a SR in college this year. If by the end of next year and start of his 3rd year he still isn't doing anything then we whiffed big time.

The F.O. had no business taking a project like him with all the holes on this team. Oher or Cushing should have been taken.

I hope Maybin does work out and becomes a stud but with the track record of the FO we should all be worried he is Eric Flowers pt. 2

Reading what he said on the TBD page, the BN article - he's comfortable with his weight.

Don't know if it was that article, but IIRC he pocked 14M - guaranteed. To me he's looking more and more like a guy cashing in thanks to a dumb FO biting with a high pick on a fellow that had 10 starts with PSU.

And watching PSU football is like watching the movie Weekend at Bernie's - everybody knows the guy is dead, but everybody pretends...the local tv powers here served up at least 7 of their games for my viewing pleasure.

:ph34r:

Not really. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-t...y-round-input:1 Of the top 15, who is really lighting it up? Cushing is having a great rookie year and Orakpo is playing well. But LB is one of the easier position to transition too. DEs always take a lot of time and the guys ahead of Maybin are stronger and better right now.

Maybin may never live up to his draft status. But the lack of patience for a 21 year old is kinda pathetic.

Of the top 15, only Raji, Andre Smith, Maybin and Malcom Jenkins aren't listed as starters. I believe Raji and Jenkins are both seeing significant playing time in their rotations, leaving Maybin and Smith the only non-contributors.

Our organization has shown total disregard for its players by not granting them new contracts when they succeed or just kicking them to the wayside when they fail. By all means though, judge Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Ryan Fitzpatrick and every QB right on down the line for a decade of losing. It seems to be a popular belief around here and one I used to share, but not any more,

Lack of proper management is the problem with this Buffalo Bills Football team...

Yes ... lack of proper management is what has brought crappy QBs in one after another. But you can't dispute that they've all sucked. Especially Losman and Edwards. Fitz is what he is ... a backup, and a good backup. Crappy starter. As far as kicking players to the wayside when they fail ... what other course of action would you suggest? You think the Seahawks were wrong for dumping Alexander? Or the Colts for dumping James? Every team dumps their dead weight.

Of the top 15, only Raji, Andre Smith, Maybin and Malcom Jenkins aren't listed as starters. I believe Raji and Jenkins are both seeing significant playing time in their rotations, leaving Maybin and Smith the only non-contributors.

Raji is a beast. He is not just playing but starting to really dominate.

In that case he should have just declined the interim job because, using your logic, you want him to lose every game, thereby nullifying any hope of him getting a HC job with the Bills, or any other NFL team. There is no point in taking a bullet for the Bills. Whoever is the new GM or coach will decide on players like Maybin and Brohm. It's Fewell's right...it's his job...to win games NOW. I say he's a much better coach than people give him credit for.

PTR

ok this is getting scary right about now. i was thinking the same thing.

And here's a quote of Fewell from Tim Graham's blog. It's SCARY how much he sounds like Jauron. Not good.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...2010-for-maybin

"I think he's going to be a dynamic player for us. It's very tough to play in this league, and I think he will get better, and he’ll be a top-flight pick. Maybe not at the end of this season, but he’s going to be a top-flight pick for this football team."

"Top-flight" picks PLAY their first year. So, either Maybin is not REALLY a top-flight pick or he is and his talent is being wasted. In either case, if he hasn't really contributed greatly this far into the season, the guy simply cannot be referred to as a "top-flight" pick -- only a high pick.