Jake Locker - might be staying in school

OnTheRocks

I don't have a link - this is from sporting news daily - a daily PDF email I get from The Sporting News.

I don't think this means much...and I suspect Locker will go pro..I just thought you might be interested in this comment:

"Washington coach Steve Sarkisian told reporters Tuesday he's "very optimistic" that QB Jake Locker will return to the Huskies for his senior season rather than enter the NFL draft. Sarkisian met with Locker on Monday to discuss his draft prospects. Locker has submitted a request to the NFL for evaluation of his draft status. The deadline for players to enter the draft is Jan. 15."

I don't have a link - this is from sporting news daily - a daily PDF email I get from The Sporting News.

I don't think this means much...and I suspect Locker will go pro..I just thought you might be interested in this comment:

Hmm. Interesting and possible, though I doubt it will happen.

Anyway, thanks for posting it. It would have a big effect on the top part of the first round.

The one thing though is this...he is last years Mark Sanchez...

Given the current QB crop, he has the chance to rise to the top of the draft boards much like Sanchez did last year and staying in school is going to seem less attractive. Most pro scouts think his attributes project to the NFL better than just about every QB coming out this year. Its quite possible that after the combine he will be the top or 2nd highest graded QB in this years draft. Its going to be hard to pass that up...

So, I think anohter year in school would do him good, I just dont think that once all the dust settles he will see the chance to go early first round if he can have a strong combine and wont pass that up...

Good article. Only Locker himself knows if he is ready. But once he knows if he grades out as top 5-10 pick, I think it is very hard to pass up that kind of money and the challenge of the NFL. Then there are more questions than answers for scouts. Is he afraid/not confident enough? Does he like the college lifestyle too much? I think that you don't bother getting an evaluation from the Advisory Board if you are going to stay. It can only hurt you if don't leave when you grade out as a top pick.

The one thing though is this...he is last years Mark Sanchez...

Given the current QB crop, he has the chance to rise to the top of the draft boards much like Sanchez did last year and staying in school is going to seem less attractive. Most pro scouts think his attributes project to the NFL better than just about every QB coming out this year. Its quite possible that after the combine he will be the top or 2nd highest graded QB in this years draft. Its going to be hard to pass that up...

So, I think anohter year in school would do him good, I just dont think that once all the dust settles he will see the chance to go early first round if he can have a strong combine and wont pass that up...

You seem to be alluding to a weak QB class this year. I think Locker will grade out in the top 3, but I'm not sure how you can ignore Bradford as the number 2 rated QB. I also think Tebow will demand respect in the 1st round, despite the fact he probably grades out as a round 3-4 type QB. If McCoy takes the Heisman, there will be 3 Heisman winning QBs in the draft. I see that as a pretty deep draft class and I imagine that is why Locker might be balking.

Back to Bradford, why is everyone down on him all of a sudden? Yea he's injured his shoulder and had surgery (Claussen has had shoulder surgery as well), but the guy would have likely gone before Stafford in last year's draft had he declared. And if not, he definitely would have gone ahead of Sanchez. Why so down on him?+

By the way, He is 6-4 223. Clausen- 6-3 223. Clearly, those numbers likely have a margin of error of +/- 8, but the size differential is not there to the extent people think it is.

You seem to be alluding to a weak QB class this year. I think Locker will grade out in the top 3, but I'm not sure how you can ignore Bradford as the number 2 rated QB. I also think Tebow will demand respect in the 1st round, despite the fact he probably grades out as a round 3-4 type QB. If McCoy takes the Heisman, there will be 3 Heisman winning QBs in the draft. I see that as a pretty deep draft class and I imagine that is why Locker might be balking.

Back to Bradford, why is everyone down on him all of a sudden? Yea he got injured and had surgery (Claussen has had shoulder surgery as well), but the guy would have likely gone before Stafford in last year's draft had he declared. And if not, he definitely would have gone ahead of Sanchez. Why so down on him?

Clausen had elbow sugery to remove a bone spur. Found no mention of shoulder sugery anywhere. :thumbsup:

I think he comes out. Most guys who are unsure about whether to do so or not, usually come back to try an win a national championship. UW is not going to win one next year and if he grades out to a top 10 pick, why come back for a Sr year when you could jeopardize getting injured or underperforming, thus ruining your potential high draft status.

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Plus, this may be the last year there is no rookie salary cap, so even if he returns to school and improves his draft status as the #1 overall pick in the 2011 draft, he probably would make less money than if he were a top 10 pick this year.

Back to Bradford, why is everyone down on him all of a sudden? Yea he's injured his shoulder and had surgery (Claussen has had shoulder surgery as well), but the guy would have likely gone before Stafford in last year's draft had he declared. And if not, he definitely would have gone ahead of Sanchez. Why so down on him?+

By the way, He is 6-4 223. Clausen- 6-3 223. Clearly, those numbers likely have a margin of error of +/- 8, but the size differential is not there to the extent people think it is.

I didnt ignore Bradford...Bradford is going to be the #1 QB, and Locker will likely grade out to a #2 QB...Clausen probably 3 depending on combine.

Most pro scouts think Bradford and Locker are the two QB's who best project to the NFL and like Sanchez last year coming out early, with a strong combine he could easily secure the #2 spot, and maybe even #1 if Bradford doesnt show a clear indication of a full recovery.

Thats all I meant...like Sanchez last year, he has the choice to stay in school, but given the way this years QB crop is and how high scouts are on Locker at the next level, he could easily move into the top 10 in the draft.

Tebow may get first round consideration, he may not...what he wont do is leap frog Bradford, Locker, or even Clausen. I fully expect the top 3 QB's drafted to go in this order assuming Bradfords injury is a non factor and locker comes out...Bradford, Locker, then Clausen...after that, who knows...

I didnt ignore Bradford...Bradford is going to be the #1 QB, and Locker will likely grade out to a #2 QB...Clausen probably 3 depending on combine.

Most pro scouts think Bradford and Locker are the two QB's who best project to the NFL and like Sanchez last year coming out early, with a strong combine he could easily secure the #2 spot, and maybe even #1 if Bradford doesnt show a clear indication of a full recovery.

Thats all I meant...like Sanchez last year, he has the choice to stay in school, but given the way this years QB crop is and how high scouts are on Locker at the next level, he could easily move into the top 10 in the draft.

Tebow may get first round consideration, he may not...what he wont do is leap frog Bradford, Locker, or even Clausen. I fully expect the top 3 QB's drafted to go in this order assuming Bradfords injury is a non factor and locker comes out...Bradford, Locker, then Clausen...after that, who knows...

From today's ESPN discussion with Chris Mortensen:

I am told that NFL personnel folks who attended Locker's UW game vs. Cal on Saturday were blown away by his performance. Someone told me, "Taller Steve Young."

I am told that NFL personnel folks who attended Locker's UW game vs. Cal on Saturday were blown away by his performance. Someone told me, "Taller Steve Young."

We are talking about Chris Mortenson now. :censored: He was probably using the same pitch for his son last year. :lol:

We are talking about Chris Mortenson now. :censored: He was probably using the same pitch for his son last year. :lol:

Except then he said, "Taller Ryan Leaf."