Kyle Williams: We are a ''stupid'' team

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick, this is what I think. IMO, the subtext of what Kyle Williams was saying was that there are some stupid players on this team. The stupid mistakes of some of these players have cost us at least two games.

The plays that Roscoe and McKelvin made (that you cited) were plays born out of stupidity or low football IQ.

This team has drafted other stupid players before and I don't think these players are going to change their spots. They're stupid football players who make stupid decisions.

If you want to blame the players (like your examples of Roscoe and McKelvin), IMO you have to blame:

1) Poor coaching (for not drilling basics into their heads until it is second nature)

2) Poor drafting (drafting stupid players)

Seeing as Roscoe hasn't developed at all since he came into the league and McKelvin seemed to have regressed from a somewhat promising rookie year before his injury indicate to me that these players don't have the football sense to become good players.

I don't think it is the work ethic of these players as you suggest in your original post, that is in question. I don't second guess the work ethic or dedication of most football players...I think most of these guys are dedicated and feel the pressure to produce that they receive from their salaries, their teammates, the media, the fans, and coaches.

So in my opinion, your assertion that these guys are "not putting in the time and effort to make themselves better football players" is a misguided belief. I believe that they are mentally limited and shouldn't have been entrusted to perform critical "roles" on this team. IMO it is not a failing of the players. It is a failing of the organization.

:ph34r: wayyy to play the retard card

Stupid is not seeing you would need to fire your offensive coordinator earlier than 6 days before the regular season.

Stupid is trying to improve pass rush with a one season wonder who is a lightweight DE tweener.

Stupid is Marshawn Lynch. Get a limo driver.

Stupid is drafting another California quarterback.

Stupid is having a history of not drafting linemen, and drafting Mike Williams when you do.

Stupid is not using bump coverage for years.

Stupid is drafting players, then switching their positions.

Stupid is letting Rusty Jones and Bill Polian get away.

Stupid is building a finesse team in a cold-weather climate.

Stupid is doing the same thing, and expecting different results.

So in other words' "Stupid is as stupid does."

Good article, from 1 Bill who is worth retaining.

Truly, this team needs a clean sweep of every crevasse of the organization so that not a single dust mite remains.

The problem with this front office is that they keep miscalculating and misjudging talent. I am a late one to this, but watching Orakpo basically drive back the Saints LT this past Sunday, and then speed rush around him a play later, it is clear to me that atleast at this point, Orakpo is a much more imposing and difference making player than Maybin.

Another player is Cameron Wake. He was only 1/2 responsible for the final play against the Pats this Sunday (he was the one sacking Tom Brady), but he is another one that we were rumored in being interested in that should not have gotten away.

Selecting Whitner instead of Ngata.

Their simply too numerous to list.

My point is that this front office is always chasing its tail, always playing catch-up with itself. And it is always playing catch-up because of poor draft decisions, and terrible free agent acquisitions.

At this point, I am beyond the "big name" head coach. I want the "big name" GM and remade front office.

As a stupid person, I take offense at that! They can't attribute their play this year to stupidity...it makes all of us stupid people look bad. Nope...they lack cohesiveness, character, will to win, and commitment to excellence. There are a lot of stupid teams still in the hunt. Brains are very over-rated. What this team needs is balls and heart.

Stupid is not seeing you would need to fire your offensive coordinator earlier than 6 days before the regular season.

Stupid is trying to improve pass rush with a one season wonder who is a lightweight DE tweener.

Stupid is Marshawn Lynch. Get a limo driver.

Stupid is drafting another California quarterback.

Stupid is having a history of not drafting linemen, and drafting Mike Williams when you do.

Stupid is not using bump coverage for years.

Stupid is drafting players, then switching their positions.

Stupid is letting Rusty Jones and Bill Polian get away.

Stupid is building a finesse team in a cold-weather climate.

Stupid is doing the same thing, and expecting different results.

If I may add one

Stupid is having your "football guy" basically phoning it in from his home in Philly rather than being with the team year round

It's about time the political speech from many players just plain stops. First Schobel right before DJ was fired and now Kyle Williams. I only wish Williams would expand on this comment and who it included. IMO, totally revamping your OL and installing a no-huddle is the definition of stupid, but that's in the past. Now, it's time to scrap the C2.

I agree with you 100%. It's the number one reason I cannot fully get behind Perry Fewell. I hate the cover 2 defense and it will stay if Fewell is the coach.

If you want a different style of defense, you need a new coach. Plain and simple.

Williams should have said this when they moved Scott to LB....

Rex Ryan said we are built to stop the pass instead of stopping the run.....which in today's NFL is stupid.

Not having depth at the LB position is stupid.

Not being able to stop the Jets run game when they ran the same plays is stupid.

Not having an QB that can move the chains....way past stupid. Semi insane.

Not have a front office that knows talent.....stupid.

The plays that Roscoe and McKelvin made (that you cited) were plays born out of stupidity or low football IQ.

If you want to blame the players (like your examples of Roscoe and McKelvin), IMO you have to blame:

1) Poor coaching (for not drilling basics into their heads until it is second nature)

2) Poor drafting (drafting stupid players)

Seeing as Roscoe hasn't developed at all since he came into the league and McKelvin seemed to have regressed from a somewhat promising rookie year before his injury indicate to me that these players don't have the football sense to become good players.

I agree with most of your post. But I think McK's fumble was a horrible play and not 'stupidity'. Roscoe is the one who has totally gone down the tubes this season in terms of performance and IQ. Till last year, he atleast was a good returner.

Not to be a contrarian, but I have a tough time going with the 'stupid' team proclamation of Kyle Williams. Yes we have had stupid plays at inopportune times but to blame the entire season's performance and record on 'stupidity' is carrying it too far. We have a myriad of problems starting with the frustrating injuries, poor talent at OL and depth at OL. I would say QB also but it would have been a fair to judge if we had a half way competent OL. And ofcourse, DJ's pathetic coaching philosophy.

I have no idea what you are talking about. That's the one thing this team does seem to have. They give up big plays then clamp down in the red zone. If they didn't give a f**k, would that happen?

PTR

You're overtly high on meth if you think this team has played hard this year, with exception to the home opener, Saints game thru 3 quarters, Jax game and 2nd Miami game. At least 4 games were given away this season for nothing less than lack of enthusiasm.

I'm so sick and tired of reading how this team plays hard... makes me puke.

You're usually on the mark with your comments, but not on the subject of enthusiasm. This is a team of flat egg layers.

Don't even know why I am going here but......The McKelvin kick return was not a stupid play, fighting for extra yards was the stupid part. He needed to bring it out to get to the 2 minute warning and allow the Bills to run down the clock and use up all of NE's timeouts. He just should have gone down and protected the ball as soon as he got to the 20. It's just bothered me all along that everyone (especially the MNF guys) piled on that it was wrong to bring it out.

Don't even know why I am going here but......The McKelvin kick return was not a stupid play, fighting for extra yards was the stupid part. He needed to bring it out to get to the 2 minute warning and allow the Bills to run down the clock and use up all of NE's timeouts. He just should have gone down and protected the ball as soon as he got to the 20. It's just bothered me all along that everyone (especially the MNF guys) piled on that it was wrong to bring it out.

Yep.

You always want your players to make plays. I don't blame him for trying, nor do I blame the Bills' staff for not evidently demanding he take a knee if the ko went into the end zone.

It's too bad about the outcome. Never tell a returner to play it safe. Ever. IMO.

To me this is more evidence that the players have lost confidence. And why not? I won't list the organizational screwups we have been talking about a lot. I'll just mention one trend that has hurt us.

I have lost count of the number of times the Bills have drafted a player and then changed the position he plays. Every team does it occasionally, and sometimes it is warranted (i.e. Jason Peters from Tight End to Offensive Tackle). But the Bills have done it way too often in recent years. Tackle to guard, end to linebacker, wide receiver to safety, safety to linebacker, etc. Done with such frequency, it is doomed to failure because you are asking a lot of players to learn a new position while trying to accomplish the hardest task of their football career: successfully adapting to the NFL. You end up with a bunch of good athletes who are removed from what they did best before arriving in Buffalo, and then we wonder why they are not playing up to the level they achieved in college. The organization follows up being guilty of misjudging who they should draft, with misusing the players they take. <_<