Andy Levtre

Webster Guy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agree. He's been Buffalo's best O-lineman this season, starting with the NE game in week 1. And yes, that includes Eric Wood when he was healthy.

No I have seen Levitre beat many more times than Wood, but I am not OL coach either....both are our two best lineman though.

The most over rated player is Hangartner. He is terrible. He gets bowled over every other play. He is responsible for multiple rushed throws and a sack+ every game. I dont even want to know how many assignments he misses in the run game. If he is starting next season fans will start to hold him in the same regard as Preston/Fowler. He is awful.

Levitre has been completely overpowered numerous times and to say he's better then Wood is simply not true in my opinion.

The whole O-line is pathetic and saying one person is better than another doesn't really say much does it.

They are two different kinds of players dog. Wood is a monster, road grader type. Levitre is more of an Eric Steinbach who is agile and will be a very good pass protector. He played LT in college and has great feet.

I saw a little bit of Levitre before the draft and to be honest, I didn't know so much about Wood until I heard a guy on Sirius raving about him. I would have been fine with Levitre at #28, and I even sent PMs a couple of true experts on this board about him (which indicates that I need a life).

Let's just hope that Wood comes back the same kid because if he does, we are going to have a pair of truly fine OGs for once. :ph34r:

Guest dog14787
They are two different kinds of players dog. Wood is a monster, road grader type. Levitre is more of an Eric Steinbach who is agile and will be a very good pass protector. He played LT in college and has great feet.

I saw a little bit of Levitre before the draft and to be honest, I didn't know so much about Wood until I heard a guy on Sirius raving about him. I would have been fine with Levitre at #28, and I even sent PMs a couple of true experts on this board about him (which indicates that I need a life).

Let's just hope that Wood comes back the same kid because if he does, we are going to have a pair of truly fine OGs for once. :ph34r:

Levitre does look he's best at LT and I hear you on the feet.

Levitre has been completely overpowered numerous times and to say he's better then Wood is simply not true in my opinion.

The whole O-line is pathetic and saying one person is better than another doesn't really say much does it.

I think its tough to judge the line play overall with how many injuries they've had at OT. I think Hangartner is an upgrade over any Center we've had in a long time. He has looked bad since Wood went down, but that is to be expected. I think the interior of the line is set with Wood, Hangartner and Levitre (assuming Wood is healthy). I also think that Brad Butler add depth and competition to the interior O-line and miight give them the fleibility to try Levitre at OT permanently. They need to sign starting quality OT and one depth guy and draft a few add depth.

I still think they could find a player out of either Meredith or Bell, so the line if not that far off from being decent if they can get healthy and stay together for a while. We've played 12 games and had 9 different starting combinations.

** I also think that a halfway decent QB would make this line look much better than they are.

Levitre does look he's best at LT and I hear you on the feet.

He might be the best of this sorry bunch at LT, but he is best suited to be a LG in this league. He isn't a huge guy and doesn't have long arms. I think that if he stays healthy, he will command huge bucks when his contract is up ala Steinbach. He was a great pick, for a change.

The fact is that our 2 best O-Lineman this season have been our rookies. AL and EW have been very good for the most part. Butler was pretty good at RT for the short time he was in there, but it wasn't much to go on. Our other OTs have been very bad for the most part and the Hangman is still not the answer at C. He has been better than what we have had the past several years, but that isn't saying much.

Anyway, if they really want to improve their OL, they have to make a couple changes. Wood needs to be moved to C. He was the top rated C coming out of college and he has the size and strength needed at that position to excel. He is probably the best C on this team and didn't get a chance to play there all year. He was also good at G, but this O-Line needs to put people in better positions to excel.

So, we need a new LT, Levtre is good at LG, move Wood to C, put Butler back at RG, and find a new RT. This way the interior of our line is set. We just need to find some bookend Tackles (should be easy enough....HA!)! Bell may be a decent Tackle someday, but he may be better at RT sooner.

Anyway, we have some of the pieces on the team, but we need more help. I just don't want Guy and Modrak trying to find these guys.....especially Guy.

Ross Tucker says that RG is the most important interior spot and your best guy should go there. I had wondered why they wanted Wood at RG, but this article filled me in. It's Tucker's opinion, but seems credible.

Rating the offensive line positions based on difficulty

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ings/index.html

In no way was he better than Butler before he was injured. Not even close.

Yes by far the Buffalo Bills best offensive lineman is Brad Butler. Solid and consistent. How many holding penalties or false starts. How many sacks given up?

Butler at RT, Hang (w/ Levitre and wood at g's he is more than avg) at C. Wood RG, Levitre at LG. You pick up a LT in 1st round or FA. You have Meredith (who I think has more potential than Bell - b/c i dont think Bell will pan out), Bell, and Scott as backups --> not too bad backup crew I think. I would still draft OL later in the draft b/c these guys get hurt so much during the season.

Absolutely can not have Fitz as your starting QB beginning next season. I don't think they will be able to get Locker or Clausen - maybe Bradford. You go out and try and find a legit starting QB in FA - knowing that your real "starter" whom you will groom until the starter sucks or the rookie is ready is the guy you draft.

i am thinking about Vick - 2 yr contract, 8 mill. Done. he is wayyyy better than anything we have (hes not a franchise QB) but you have two good RBs, good enough WRs - I would sign TO 1 yr 5-6 mill too, and presumably a good OL. Offense should be good enough to take run at the playoffs - plus we have bradford or pike learning.

The D- we need LBs and DTs. And we need playmakers at those positions. Mcclain ILB from bama. Mccoy DT from Oklahoma. Or the OLB from TCU who is a great pass rusher. These guys are top ten picks - so LT may have to wait. i say if OKung is off the board you go d-fense (assuming clausen, locker are off the board).

So has every other player on the line, so that's pretty much a moot point.

Go back and watch every TD Buffalo scored from inside the red zone this season, and on every single one you'll see Levitre making the key block.

I've seen Wood make some plays, but not nearly on as consistent a basis as Levitre.

It's just my opinion, and since the OP started a thread about Levitre, I decided to provide it.

and when his rookie contract is up, he will leave, just like everyone else who has learned the game at the bills expense...

The fact is that our 2 best O-Lineman this season have been our rookies. AL and EW have been very good for the most part. Butler was pretty good at RT for the short time he was in there, but it wasn't much to go on. Our other OTs have been very bad for the most part and the Hangman is still not the answer at C. He has been better than what we have had the past several years, but that isn't saying much.

Anyway, if they really want to improve their OL, they have to make a couple changes. Wood needs to be moved to C. He was the top rated C coming out of college and he has the size and strength needed at that position to excel. He is probably the best C on this team and didn't get a chance to play there all year. He was also good at G, but this O-Line needs to put people in better positions to excel.

So, we need a new LT, Levtre is good at LG, move Wood to C, put Butler back at RG, and find a new RT. This way the interior of our line is set. We just need to find some bookend Tackles (should be easy enough....HA!)! Bell may be a decent Tackle someday, but he may be better at RT sooner.

Anyway, we have some of the pieces on the team, but we need more help. I just don't want Guy and Modrak trying to find these guys.....especially Guy.

Hey, I like this!

An interior of Levitre, Wood, and Butler. I was really bummed about Butler when he went down. Same with Wood. I think we should trade to move up and grab a late 1st round pick to snag a LT. I like a DT pick with our first #1. Wood and Butler have that nasty attitude that has been needed here.

Also, I would agree that our best offensive linemen have been rookies. For all of the bumbling in the front office, this one was done right.

And I don't want Guy & Modrak associated with the franchise after this house cleaning.

Hey, I like this!

An interior of Levitre, Wood, and Butler. I was really bummed about Butler when he went down. Same with Wood. I think we should trade to move up and grab a late 1st round pick to snag a LT. I like a DT pick with our first #1. Wood and Butler have that nasty attitude that has been needed here.

Also, I would agree that our best offensive linemen have been rookies. For all of the bumbling in the front office, this one was done right.

And I don't want Guy & Modrak associated with the franchise after this house cleaning.

Sounds good to me... only who takes Butler's spot when he gets hurt again?

Everyone is talking about moving Wood to center and finding TWO tackles in the offseason. We have more pressing needs. Keep Hangartner at Center. Put Butler at RT (he's great - when he is healthy). Offseason Needs:

1. QB - clearly needed

2. LT - clearly needed

3. LB - I think we keep Scott at LB and keep Poz, dump the rest.

4. DT - Stroud has clearly lost a step - need a new Big man in the middle

5. DE - We have Maybin (I am assuming he comes around) and... we have Maybin - Schoebel is done and the Kelsay/Denney two headed monster needs to go.

I'm not qualified to grade out offensive lineman, but if you have the Jets game TIVO'd, check out the two plays where Lynch gets the long run and the the TD run right after that. Both runs were big holes and Levitre was the reason they both happened.

On the long run he sets his guy up with a quick chest hit and then shoots a takedown block at the guys waist and drops him. He did it so well that the DT's feet shot back into the linebacker and held him up from sliding over to the gap. Marshawn takes the huge hole for a big gain.

On the TD run he completely pancakes his guy to the outside and Lynch scores.

The reason I bring this up is that I've felt he was kinda struggling in the beginning of the year and that we might have overrated the guy. There were some plays where he just looked like he was underpowered (for lack of a better term).

Its encouraging to see this kind of progress.

You mean Lynch actually runs through holes when they are open? Amazing!!! I was almost starting to buy into the "he's not a starter", " he dances too much" crowds arguments. LOL.

Good for Levitre. We need to start seeing something to build on for the future. Too bad about Woods and Butler. Every snap for our guys is critical. Hopefully next year we won't have to build the wheel again from scratch.

True but I'm a bit more forgiving as I realize that this was a huge undertaking and the line is incredibly raw that will need a lot of playing time on the field AND playing together to gain experience and become a strength instead of a liability.

That being said the lines performance right now is NOT good. It is below average. I know, I know everyone wanted to pump up the line and say how good it was going to be with the rookies, free agents and practice squad guys. They hated Peters and then Walker, because he couldn't replace Peters, so much that they thought that that collection of guys was going to somehow magically turn into a great line and our proven performers were fat and lazy.

Yes by far the Buffalo Bills best offensive lineman is Brad Butler. Solid and consistent. How many holding penalties or false starts. How many sacks given up?

Butler at RT, Hang (w/ Levitre and wood at g's he is more than avg) at C. Wood RG, Levitre at LG. You pick up a LT in 1st round or FA. You have Meredith (who I think has more potential than Bell - b/c i dont think Bell will pan out), Bell, and Scott as backups --> not too bad backup crew I think. I would still draft OL later in the draft b/c these guys get hurt so much during the season.

Absolutely can not have Fitz as your starting QB beginning next season. I don't think they will be able to get Locker or Clausen - maybe Bradford. You go out and try and find a legit starting QB in FA - knowing that your real "starter" whom you will groom until the starter sucks or the rookie is ready is the guy you draft.

i am thinking about Vick - 2 yr contract, 8 mill. Done. he is wayyyy better than anything we have (hes not a franchise QB) but you have two good RBs, good enough WRs - I would sign TO 1 yr 5-6 mill too, and presumably a good OL. Offense should be good enough to take run at the playoffs - plus we have bradford or pike learning.

The D- we need LBs and DTs. And we need playmakers at those positions. Mcclain ILB from bama. Mccoy DT from Oklahoma. Or the OLB from TCU who is a great pass rusher. These guys are top ten picks - so LT may have to wait. i say if OKung is off the board you go d-fense (assuming clausen, locker are off the board).

I think this is exactly what the BIlls do at QB. Draft one in Rd1 or 2 (Bradford, McCoy, Locker or Pike) and sign Vick. I don't think they bring TO back. 1.) he quits way too often when the ball is not coming to him. 2.) His behavior would be worse in year 2. 3.) Evans has been a good soldier this year and get quiet. I don't think he would stay silent next year.

Build the offense around Vick and a strong running game. Re-sign Reed and sign a veteran receiver, they are always available.

He's definitely improved through out the season and that's a great sign. hopefully a full year in strength program will improve his play even more. I also thought he did a respectable job filling in as a LT given his limited snaps at the NFL level at the position. Never hurts to have versatile o-linemen.

If Wood can come back from his injury, we have the foundation of a very good interior for years to come.

I hope your right but I do wonder what it is on the field that you see that gives you hope that our poor offensive line is going to be very good in the interior for years to come? Currently we are bad and we definitely can't run up the middle. It is perhaps unfair but when I think of lines that have hope of being good for years to come I think of lines that have guys like, Jake Long?, Joe Thomas, and others who get critical acclaim and make it to probowls potentially in their rookies years.

I'm not saying any of our guys are "bad" but in the situations with the others I am comparing them to their lines got significantly better with their addition and didn't take a turn for the worse like ours did. I want our line to be great too but I have to maintain some degree of objectivity.