Andy Levtre

Webster Guy

I'm not qualified to grade out offensive lineman, but if you have the Jets game TIVO'd, check out the two plays where Lynch gets the long run and the the TD run right after that. Both runs were big holes and Levitre was the reason they both happened.

On the long run he sets his guy up with a quick chest hit and then shoots a takedown block at the guys waist and drops him. He did it so well that the DT's feet shot back into the linebacker and held him up from sliding over to the gap. Marshawn takes the huge hole for a big gain.

On the TD run he completely pancakes his guy to the outside and Lynch scores.

The reason I bring this up is that I've felt he was kinda struggling in the beginning of the year and that we might have overrated the guy. There were some plays where he just looked like he was underpowered (for lack of a better term).

Its encouraging to see this kind of progress.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not qualified to grade out offensive lineman, but if you have the Jets game TIVO'd, check out the two plays where Lynch gets the long run and the the TD run right after that. Both runs were big holes and Levitre was the reason they both happened.

On the long run he sets his guy up with a quick chest hit and then shoots a takedown block at the guys waist and drops him. He did it so well that the DT's feet shot back into the linebacker and held him up from sliding over to the gap. Marshawn takes the huge hole for a big gain.

On the TD run he completely pancakes his guy to the outside and Lynch scores.

The reason I bring this up is that I've felt he was kinda struggling in the beginning of the year and that we might have overrated the guy. There were some plays where he just looked like he was underpowered (for lack of a better term).

Its encouraging to see this kind of progress.

100% agree. He's been Buffalo's best O-lineman this season, starting with the NE game in week 1. And yes, that includes Eric Wood when he was healthy.

Completely agree. I thought the same thing early on this season. But this guy has really come around. I think we need to grab another Guard or Center in rounds 2 or 3. And I really hope Wood is ok, because he was really starting to come around also. Meredith or Bell could end up being good RT's down the line. Butler should go back to Guard, but he can't be depended on to last a full season. The big question mark is Left Tackle.

Guest dog14787
100% agree. He's been Buffalo's best O-lineman this season, starting with the NE game in week 1. And yes, that includes Eric Wood when he was healthy.

Levitre has been completely overpowered numerous times and to say he's better then Wood is simply not true in my opinion.

The whole O-line is pathetic and saying one person is better than another doesn't really say much does it.

Levitre has been completely overpowered numerous times and to say he's better then Wood is simply not true in my opinion.

The whole O-line is pathetic and saying one person is better than another doesn't really say much does it.

So has every other player on the line, so that's pretty much a moot point.

Go back and watch every TD Buffalo scored from inside the red zone this season, and on every single one you'll see Levitre making the key block.

I've seen Wood make some plays, but not nearly on as consistent a basis as Levitre.

It's just my opinion, and since the OP started a thread about Levitre, I decided to provide it.

The fact is that our 2 best O-Lineman this season have been our rookies. AL and EW have been very good for the most part. Butler was pretty good at RT for the short time he was in there, but it wasn't much to go on. Our other OTs have been very bad for the most part and the Hangman is still not the answer at C. He has been better than what we have had the past several years, but that isn't saying much.

Anyway, if they really want to improve their OL, they have to make a couple changes. Wood needs to be moved to C. He was the top rated C coming out of college and he has the size and strength needed at that position to excel. He is probably the best C on this team and didn't get a chance to play there all year. He was also good at G, but this O-Line needs to put people in better positions to excel.

So, we need a new LT, Levtre is good at LG, move Wood to C, put Butler back at RG, and find a new RT. This way the interior of our line is set. We just need to find some bookend Tackles (should be easy enough....HA!)! Bell may be a decent Tackle someday, but he may be better at RT sooner.

Anyway, we have some of the pieces on the team, but we need more help. I just don't want Guy and Modrak trying to find these guys.....especially Guy.

He's definitely improved through out the season and that's a great sign. hopefully a full year in strength program will improve his play even more. I also thought he did a respectable job filling in as a LT given his limited snaps at the NFL level at the position. Never hurts to have versatile o-linemen.

If Wood can come back from his injury, we have the foundation of a very good interior for years to come.

If Wood can return next season and beyond, without lasting impact from his injury, I am actually pretty optimistic about the interior of our O-line. I think you'll see a significant improvement from the rookies, and if can get decent play at the tackle spots, that will help the interior as well. I agree with the poster who suggested moving Wood to center and Butler back to RG, and I think the Bills view Wood as their Center of the future, but his injury might delay that move another year. I even like Bell and Meredith as back-up Tackles, bc they both have the potential to be quality players. But that obviously leaves us two tackles short. So for next year, I think we should expect the same line that started the season, but with a new LT (coming from where (FA or draft), I don't know). In other words, Levitre at LG, Hangartner at C, Wood at RG, and Butler at RT. Hopefully the move of Wood to C happens the following year. And hopefully we spend our #1 pick on a LT if the QB we want is not there. If not, take the LT second, assuming somebody is close to value at that spot.

I don't understand the dismissal of Hangartner as not being a quality starting center. I think the guy has held his own this year.

He's done okay. But man, did he ever get blown up by Ellis on that last drive against the Jets for the sack that pretty much ended it for us. Nothing like a three-man rush overpowering your five-man offensive line.

He's done okay. But man, did he ever get blown up by Ellis on that last drive against the Jets for the sack that pretty much ended it for us. Nothing like a three-man rush overpowering your five-man offensive line.

I thought a big reason that sack happened was Simmons looking right and then back left at the last second, allowing for no guard assistance as the 2 gapping NT tried to rush...

I thought a big reason that sack happened was Simmons looking right and then back left at the last second, allowing for no guard assistance as the 2 gapping NT tried to rush...

I could be thinking of a different play, but I recall Hanny getting bull rushed onto his back one-on-one with Ellis. Not sure if Simmons had anything to do with it, but Hanny didn't exactly hold up his end of the bargain.

I think with the rest of the line in place, Hangartner is acceptable. I would love to see Okung, Levitre, Hanny, Wood, and Butler for the opener next year, with Fitzy holding down the fort for 2nd rd pick Pike for another year.

And on the topic of the OP, I like Levitre alot. Versatile, durable and he's gotten better as the year has gone on. Good pick, we hit on 3 of the top 4 with the jury still out on Maybin.

If Wood comes back healthy, then we have a very solid foundation for the interior O-line with Wood, Levitre and Hangartner.

No doubt in my mind that Wood was by far the best lineman we had this year followed by Hangartner and Levitre. The tackles oth have been terrible. I would say that Jamon Meredith and Bell are both still projects, and that we desperately need to fill both tackle spots. We should definitely go after a prime tackle this year and make it priority number #1 in the offseason, apart from the coach of course.

Pretty much my thinking as well. I suppose that you could say that Levitre and Wood both have potential and have shown flashes of good play throughout the year. Being that they are rookies, there's a reasonable chance that one or both of them will develop into solid NFL lineman in the next year or two. Everyone else on the other hand...

Completely agree. I thought the same thing early on this season. But this guy has really come around. I think we need to grab another Guard or Center in rounds 2 or 3. And I really hope Wood is ok, because he was really starting to come around also. Meredith or Bell could end up being good RT's down the line. Butler should go back to Guard, but he can't be depended on to last a full season. The big question mark is Left Tackle.

That is defintely a positive this season. He has played very well as a rookie. Two things stand out from our draft this year. One, we traded up to get Levtre in the second round which has proven to be a good move. The second was also in the second round after the Patriots picked. Our selection if I remember correctly took no more than one minute and I thought it was around 15-30 seconds. That was where we got Byrd, who has been another positive for this season. As for the other picks, it still remains to be seen and it is unfortunate what happened to Wood who looked to be a very good player, but obviously there is potential there.

Didn't Bell play some guard last season? Perhaps he could man the RG spot until Wood is healthy and Wood could be the long term answer at center, where pulling and mobility would be of less importance. Regardless, with Levitre, Wood, Bell, Butler and Meredith there is some potential for a good offensive line down the road.

Thursday:

3 sacks, 9/23, ineffective rb runs save a 2 run pop by a rb in the 2nd qtr. A qb taking off and running 5 times.

Yep, that's what happened. And I too hope the Bills play Levitre at LT.