Ellis Lankster

Big Turk

Lankster was all over the place in the pre-season, but I haven't heard his name mentioned for a long time. Has he been hurt or has he fallen out of favor with the coaching staff? It is hard to believe the Bills would rather have Whitner continuously getting smoked by the slot receiver if they had better options at corner...I know they were thin at CB with McGee and Yobouty out, but it is hard to believe Lankster isn't a better option than Whitner, a safety who has issues trying to cover half the TE's in this league, let alone faster WR's...

Lankster was all over the place in the pre-season, but I haven't heard his name mentioned for a long time. Has he been hurt or has he fallen out of favor with the coaching staff? It is hard to believe the Bills would rather have Whitner continuously getting smoked by the slot receiver if they had better options at corner...I know they were thin at CB with McGee and Yobouty out, but it is hard to believe Lankster isn't a better option than Whitner, a safety who has issues trying to cover half the TE's in this league, let alone faster WR's...

This post hints that you didn't pay a lot of attention in preseason. The reason that Lankster was all over the place is that he was frequently out of position. If he were put in live situations against real NFL WRs, he'd be destroyed at this point in his career.

This post hints that you didn't pay a lot of attention in preseason. The reason that Lankster was all over the place is that he was frequently out of position. If he were put in live situations against real NFL WRs, he'd be destroyed at this point in his career.

Yes because Donte Whitner is always in great position. Out of position=big plays. In position=tasered and no big plays.

Maybe your the one who needs to pay more attention. Im sure since Jauron got fired the tears in your eyes have been impairing your vision.

Lankster needs to be on the field so we can get the liability off of it.

You mean, like Reggie Corner? You may be right but the fact is that now Corner is literally playing out of position - he was moved outside last week and the week before - and the results have been disastrous. I can't imagine Lankster would be that much worse at this point, probably worth a look.

Yes because Donte Whitner is always in great position. Out of position=big plays. In position=tasered and no big plays.

Maybe your the one who needs to pay more attention. Im sure since Jauron got fired the tears in your eyes have been impairing your vision.

Lankster needs to be on the field so we can get the liability off of it.

The only reason Lankster looked "good" in preseason is that by being out of position, he was in the right spot to catch tipped balls. He looked totally lost in many of his assignments.

Coach Tuesday

You mean, like Reggie Corner? You may be right but the fact is that now Corner is literally playing out of position - he was moved outside last week and the week before - and the results have been disastrous. I can't imagine Lankster would be that much worse at this point, probably worth a look.

Yeah, isn't that something. Corner, who's a far more experienced and competent CB is lost in space, and Lankster would do a better job? Lankster's main attribute was good recovery speed. But his instinctive cover skills weren't ready because he bit too easily on the fakes. As Rich pointed out, Corner released the WRs too soon. That's probably more of a miscommunication between him and the safety. But now way is Lankster ready for the big leagues yet.

Good idea! Roscoe has all but become pathetic and I don't like using Freddy on returns.

too true...roscoe caught the dante hall syndrome....and freddy is too valuable at this point to risk injuring during high speed collisions. im not one for preseason watching, but did lanskter handle any returns?

Of course not. A 7th round pick, 5'9".

He sure was a good player for WVA. No reason to beat on the youngster - he might turn out to be a ST ace, or improbably, a big noise in the backfield. Ya never know...

No. He was actually a liability often for WVU. The notion that he was some stand-out college corner that fell to us in the 7th round is ridiculous. He isn't playing because he's awful. Just because you catch a couple of crappy tosses by a crappy third string quarterback doesn't mean you're NFL material. He had a lucky little preseason and will have a great story to tell his kids and grand-kids through the years. I'd probably bet money that Lankster never starts a game in the NFL.

The only reason Lankster looked "good" in preseason is that by being out of position, he was in the right spot to catch tipped balls. He looked totally lost in many of his assignments.

Yeah, isn't that something. Corner, who's a far more experienced and competent CB is lost in space, and Lankster would do a better job? Lankster's main attribute was good recovery speed. But his instinctive cover skills weren't ready because he bit too easily on the fakes. As Rich pointed out, Corner released the WRs too soon. That's probably more of a miscommunication between him and the safety. But now way is Lankster ready for the big leagues yet.

Youre right don't question the coaching 4-8!

so the better option is putting a guy who has no prayer of physically being capable of covering a WR in the slot??

Whitner just doesn't have the speed or agility to cover slot receivers---he has the slowest hip turn I have ever seen among DBs I think. He gets smoked by half the TE's in the league. It reminded me of playing pickup football and the WR always getting the ball thrown to him because he is being covered by the fat kid(Whitner) who is nowhere close to covering him...