Ellis Lankster

Big Turk

Youre right don't question the coaching 4-8!

No matter what you think of the coaching, the DBs are not the reason that this team is 4-8. Unless Lankster can miraculously protect Fitzy's blindside and then come back and rush the opponents' QB out of the pocket, his presence in the game will be useless.

so the better option is putting a guy who has no prayer of physically being capable of covering a WR in the slot??

Whitner just doesn't have the speed or agility to cover slot receivers---he has the slowest hip turn I have ever seen among DBs I think. He gets smoked by half the TE's in the league. It reminded me of playing pickup football and the WR always getting the ball thrown to him because he is being covered by the fat kid(Whitner) who is nowhere close to covering him...

I don't know too many safeties who can cover a slot WR either. I also don't recall Jets' TEs having a huge game vs Bills. I also don't recall any TE having a monster game vs Bills this year, outside 2 catches that Watson had in the opener. Don't know how Whitner got into the discussion, but someone must be passing around the good stuff if you think that throwing Lankster to the wolves now will solve anything.

Really? I watched him play some college games. I thought he played well.

Oh well - fry a late choice if you like...

I don't know what that means, and I'm sorry if I'm coming off as ridiculous for "frying a late choice"... but we obviously didn't need another DB with our depth, and having seen him play about 5 times a year when I was at WVU, witnessing this "play-maker" cost the Mountaineers some games those two seasons he started, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that we don't need this guy running around getting beat by legit receivers.

I don't know what that means, and I'm sorry if I'm coming off as ridiculous for "frying a late choice"... but we obviously didn't need another DB with our depth, and having seen him play about 5 times a year when I was at WVU, witnessing this "play-maker" cost the Mountaineers some games those two seasons he started, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that we don't need this guy running around getting beat by legit receivers.

Well...that trumps my few observations of him. :ph34r:

As to using that 7th on *another* db - the world is a mysterious place.

I don't know too many safeties who can cover a slot WR either. I also don't recall Jets' TEs having a huge game vs Bills. I also don't recall any TE having a monster game vs Bills this year, outside 2 catches that Watson had in the opener. Don't know how Whitner got into the discussion, but someone must be passing around the good stuff if you think that throwing Lankster to the wolves now will solve anything.

That's the whole issue..they can't cover slot WR's, which is why you don't put them in the position to do it...

Lankster was all over the place in the pre-season, but I haven't heard his name mentioned for a long time. Has he been hurt or has he fallen out of favor with the coaching staff? It is hard to believe the Bills would rather have Whitner continuously getting smoked by the slot receiver if they had better options at corner...I know they were thin at CB with McGee and Yobouty out, but it is hard to believe Lankster isn't a better option than Whitner, a safety who has issues trying to cover half the TE's in this league, let alone faster WR's...

On a similar note...where's Steve Johnson. Another guy who showed good potential in limited playing time.

Oh that's right....it's the Bills! They subscribe to The Marcellus Wiley Plan. It's more commonly used for defensive backs in the Bills system, but it can be applied to almost any player.

That's the one in which they spend all the time and money bringing raw players up to their own lofty standards, and then generously set them free to the free agent market once they're bonafide starters. They restock in the next draft and the cycle starts all over again. Quite ingenious.

They'll"ease" Steve Johnson into the lineup, finally get some regular playing time next year, and if all that protracted grooming pays off and he shows some talent, he'll be ready to hit the free agent market in the following year! Brilliant!

Same with Hardy. They'll spend millions on him, get him all rehabbed and groomed, and it's off to FA-land.

Ellis may be in that same program. God bless the Buffalo Bills.

That's the whole issue..they can't cover slot WR's, which is why you don't put them in the position to do it...

My guess is that with the CBs injured the coaches feel that Donte is still a better choice to cover the slot than Lankster, because the downside is a 1st & 4 conversion as opposed to a slant TD.

Point still is, Lankster was not that impressive in preseason in his coverage skills.

On a similar note...where's Steve Johnson. Another guy who showed good potential in limited playing time.

Oh that's right....it's the Bills! They subscribe to The Marcellus Wiley Plan. It's more commonly used for defensive backs in the Bills system, but it can be applied to almost any player.

That's the one in which they spend all the time and money bringing raw players up to their own lofty standards, and then generously set them free to the free agent market once they're bonafide starters. They restock in the next draft and the cycle starts all over again. Quite ingenious.

They'll"ease" Steve Johnson into the lineup, finally get some regular playing time next year, and if all that protracted grooming pays off and he shows some talent, he'll be ready to hit the free agent market in the following year! Brilliant!

Same with Hardy. They'll spend millions on him, get him all rehabbed and groomed, and it's off to FA-land.

What exactly did Marcellus do on the football field after leaving Buffalo? If the plan is to have a player for his only four productive years in the league and then letting him go, I'm all for it.

Johnson practices every week. The Bills' staff may not be the sharpest talent evaluators, but wrs are relatively easy to judge IMO.

I'm surprised that they haven't tossed him over to their PS. I would...he was a 7th round pick, so there is no big $$$ tied up in him. I need linemen, I need lbs on the team, and he takes up a roster spot. How often has he been active this season?