The Toronto Argos may move out of Skydome

Just Jack

Argos to leave Rogers Centre?

It is built, but will fans come?

One argument for the Bills not moving to Toronto, and also not having the Canada game earlier in the season, has been that the Argos play in Rogers Centre. But if the Argos move out of there, that would open up the Centre for an earlier season game from the Bills, and possibly make it more tempting to move an NFL team to Toronto.

Thoughts?

One argument for the Bills not moving to Toronto, and also not having the Canada game earlier in the season, has been that the Argos play in Rogers Centre. But if the Argos move out of there, that would open up the Centre for an earlier season game from the Bills, and possibly make it more tempting to move an NFL team to Toronto.

Thoughts?

I could see it opening up the ability for an earlier game, but clearly the Rogers Centre is not big enough to support an NFL team.

I could see it opening up the ability for an earlier game, but clearly the Rogers Centre is not big enough to support an NFL team.

Cripes. It's smaller than RWS, even in that all important corporate suite category.

Rogers Centre is a dump and a horrible place to watch football PERIOD. The reason the Argos are moving is because fans have constantly said that playing there ruins the game day experience. If it's not good enough for the CFL Argos, how is it good enough for the Bills?

After attending the game Thursday night I will say this: The worst sports venue I've ever attended. Dark, dreary, uncomfortable seats, bad sight lines, bad acoustics. Tons of wasted space in the lower corners. They have the first ten rowns or so of the lower sidelines tarped off, which makes absokutely no sense. The atmosphere at the game was embarrasing. Some fans know what's going on, but most have no clue. At times I almost felt embarrased getgting loud and into the game, because most the people around me weren't even paying attention.

The best was that many fans headed for the exits, just as the Jets were punting the ball to the Bills with 2+ minutes left in the 4th quarter. Either they were phsycic and knew Fitz would throw the pick to Revis, or didn't care enough to see a potentially game winning touchdown in the 4th. Overall though, this was the worst football game I've ever watched.

They have the first ten rowns or so of the lower sidelines tarped off, which makes absokutely no sense.

Actually, I finally figured out why after being there for three games. If people sat in those seats, they wouldn't see the field at all since the seats are so low. They'd be looking at the backs of everyone on the sidelines instead.

Actually, I finally figured out why after being there for three games. If people sat in those seats, they wouldn't see the field at all since the seats are so low. They'd be looking at the backs of everyone on the sidelines instead.

You are correct, they are not pulling a "Jacksonville"

That's smart. So seats that are normally prime seats in any other venue are useless at the Rogers Centre. Yet another reason the venue sucks. I still can't get over how crappy that venue was. I could still see the smoke (created by a few pyrotechnics pre game) during the 4th quarter. The whole place was so dark & dreary.

The venue was built for baseball, thats why it sucks for football.

It was meant to be adaptable for football, but the main use was supposed to be for the Jays. Baseball/Football venues are never great for one of the sports cause of the way the 2 fields are shaped

When it was built in the late 80's it was "State of the Art" and revolutionary with its retractable roof. Now, its out dated and many are wanting to see it replaced. It was one of the last venues built before all of the ball fields started to go more "retro" in look

That's smart. So seats that are normally prime seats in any other venue are useless at the Rogers Centre. Yet another reason the venue sucks. I still can't get over how crappy that venue was. I could still see the smoke (created by a few pyrotechnics pre game) during the 4th quarter. The whole place was so dark & dreary.

You can't see from those seats, they are for baseball.

All the above posters have it exactly right. Haven't been to any of the Bills games up there yet, but did go to the International Bowl that UB-UConn played in back in January. It was like a library in that place. Doesn't matter if Argos stay put or not, Toronto has no chance without building a NFL caliber stadium.

As it has been noted above Rogers Center (originally known as the Skydome) was buit for baseball even though it

was used for football and basketball (1995-1999). It is definately not a football stadium by any standard. As for the

NFL moving to Toronto I doubt it very much as long as the CFL Argos will be part of it. The NFL always made it a

point not to interfere with the day to day CFL operations - unless its stand changed lately.

With the showing by the fans (lack of attendance and interest) the past 2 years, I would have to think the NFL has changed their tune on putting a team there. It would be the Jacksonville Jags part deux.

Thoughts?

Luxury boxes with a great view....of the End Zone. There's my first thought. My second? Who cares? If they leave, they certainly won't take the name "Bills" with them, so at least I won't have to be reminded of their departure. It'll just be one group of really bad coaches and players leaving town. Big whoop.

Luxury boxes with a great view....of the End Zone. There's my first thought. My second? Who cares? If they leave, they certainly won't take the name "Bills" with them, so at least I won't have to be reminded of their departure. It'll just be one group of really bad coaches and players leaving town. Big whoop.

Maybe the lack of the "Bills" name won't remind you of their departure, but your almost 2,000 posts on a Buffalo Bills message board surely will.

With the showing by the fans (lack of attendance and interest) the past 2 years, I would have to think the NFL has changed their tune on putting a team there. It would be the Jacksonville Jags part deux.

The plan is not to use the Rogers Center for NFL football if a team moves to Toronto. What you are seeing is the research to determine the best way to make a team successful there. A number of mistakes have been made, which is why things are moving along slowly.

I'm certainly not knowledgeable about Rogers' plans, but my guess is he is not worried about establishing a fan base right now. The Toronto Argos almost went bankrupt in 2003, and they are in financial trouble right now. Even if they survive, they are bottom dwellers in the CFL and would be like a semi-pro team versus an NFL franchise.

Secondly, the Rogers Center will probably continue to be the home of the local baseball team for some time to come. Rogers is well aware that the real money to be made with an NFL franchise is to build a new domed stadium loaded with enough luxury boxes to accomodate the many large corporations in Toronto. The venue would probably also have more regular seats as well.

Finally, if they are paying attention to the fans (and what works in other NFL cities), they are also learning about the importance of the overall experience people attending the game expect. A sprawling parking area suitable for tailgate parties, a suburban location with supporting roadways that will allow fast entrance and exit for thousands of vehicles, geographical placement to lure the huge percentage of existing fans who would be coming from southern Ontario and the Buffalo area, etc. Thinking outside the box, marketing strategies could include lake crossing boating packages for folks coming from Rochester and beyond, as well as bus excursions from Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

I hate to admit it, but unless a white knight shows up soon, Bills fans best hope may be a regional team housed south of Toronto. But it still will not be the same, rooting for the Ontario Owls.