$9 million/year for a #2 receiver

bananathumb

Evans gets a free ride every year. We blame the QB, the Oline, the OC, we say he doesn't have a 2nd receiver to help him get open, then we get TO and the guy still isn't open. Last night's game was a perfect example.

The Jets coaches had a decision to make about which WR to put Revis on. They put him on every #1 receiver because he's so damn good. They picked TO, not Evans. And they were right, Revis shut down Owens and Lito Goddam Shepherd was left to cover Evans...single coverage all night. You saw what Evans did...one good catch. $9 million for this.

What's the excuse this time?

We are going to have to draft some WRs in April on top of all the other problems. Couldn't we at least see what Hardy and Johnson can do first?

Sorry for the rant, but Evans really pisses me off.

Put Evans in Indy, San Diego, Minnesota, or anywhere else that has a top notch NFL QB, that has an OL that actually blocks for that QB, and you would see Evans blowing up. Evans has put up solid #'s his whole career here with below average QB's and inconsistent OL's that give those below average QB's time to throw the ball. Is he overpaid? Maybe so, but he is a good player and one of the better on our dismal team.

If Fitz had time to throw the ball or was accurate when he did, then you'd have a gripe. For now, I'd suggest not putting any blame on the skill positions until the OL or QB is better.

+1...and btw "lito goddam sheppard" is a pretty good CB as well

Evans gets a free ride every year. We blame the QB, the Oline, the OC, we say he doesn't have a 2nd receiver to help him get open, then we get TO and the guy still isn't open. Last night's game was a perfect example.

The Jets coaches had a decision to make about which WR to put Revis on. They put him on every #1 receiver because he's so damn good. They picked TO, not Evans. And they were right, Revis shut down Owens and Lito Goddam Shepherd was left to cover Evans...single coverage all night. You saw what Evans did...one good catch. $9 million for this.

What's the excuse this time?

We are going to have to draft some WRs in April on top of all the other problems. Couldn't we at least see what Hardy and Johnson can do first?

Sorry for the rant, but Evans really pisses me off.

You can't totally blame Evans, in last nights game, I might have seen the worst game ever played by a Buffalo Bills quarterback and the worst ever by a Buffalo Bills offensive line. Evans was open a few times last night, and Noodle Arm couldn't come close to getting him the ball. The last interception that Fitz threw, Owens had the defender by at least a step and a half, and the ball landed about 5 yards short for an interception. The Line was pathetic as usual, they couldn't block a little league team. The only thing positive about last night, was compared to last years Toronto game, there looked like there were actually more Bills fans there than Jets fans, unlike the home-like game for Miami last season.

With all the needs on this team, I think it's fair to question whether we can afford that kind of contract for a player that (for whatever reason) isn't really consistently producing.

Evans may be one of the few pieces of realistic trade bait on the team, insofar as our new (<crossing fingers>) personnel department wants to blow things up and stockpile prospects.

I don't usually think it's good strategy to consider dealing away solid players; however, in our case I doubt that a turnaround of our team will start from the WR position.

Evans is a timing route WR much like Marvin Harrison and Tory Holt. They have great skill , coordination and speed but don't really make space with their strength. He was open on several occasions last night that would have resulted in long scores and on a couple crossing routes where Fitz didn't/ couldn't get him the ball because of accuracy and our putrid pass protection. 9 mil for Lee if he were on the Colts would be a bargain... Unfortunately the Bills cannot make full use of him right now.

I would look at it this way. T.O is gone come this Feb. Hopefully we'll spend our time strengthening our OL-DL whether it be through FA or the draft. An ideal case IMO, would be if we were somehow able to draft a QB and sign a good QB vet (Don't as me how). Let the rookie QB develop and groom him for the future. In the meantime, we would have a decent array of offensive/defensive weapons, some with veteran experience to hold their own next year, and developing talent for the future. We need Evans. As our number one next year, the least he could do is take pressure off of the other young WR's (Stevie, Hardy et al). TE will be gone as will Fitzy if he bombs the remaining games. Sorry if I made this post about everyone except LE.

You can't totally blame Evans, in last nights game, I might have seen the worst game ever played by a Buffalo Bills quarterback and the worst ever by a Buffalo Bills offensive line. Evans was open a few times last night, and Noodle Arm couldn't come close to getting him the ball. The last interception that Fitz threw, Owens had the defender by at least a step and a half, and the ball landed about 5 yards short for an interception. The Line was pathetic as usual, they couldn't block a little league team. The only thing positive about last night, was compared to last years Toronto game, there looked like there were actually more Bills fans there than Jets fans, unlike the home-like game for Miami last season.

I will admit, I do cringe every time he throws an out. Seems to take the ball f o r e v e r to get to where it's going.

Evans is a timing route WR much like Marvin Harrison and Tory Holt. They have great skill , coordination and speed but don't really make space with their strength. He was open on several occasions last night that would have resulted in long scores and on a couple crossing routes where Fitz didn't/ couldn't get him the ball because of accuracy and our putrid pass protection. 9 mil for Lee if he were on the Colts would be a bargain... Unfortunately the Bills cannot make full use of him right now.

This is a great post. Evans is what he is. He is not super physical & is not going to create tremendous separation. if you get a qb that actually knew what he was doing & hit him on some timing patterns he would put up some very good numbers. On this team, he is a waste of 9 mill.

Evans is an an average to good receiver. But he is not a difference maker and he is not worth 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 or 3M per year. Steve Johnson could perform just as well if they ever put him on the field. What did Steve do to get in the dog house, make plays? Play Hardy and Johnson and see what we have for the future. What difference does it make now. Also get rid of Roscoe, I puke when I see him in uniform. This team was exposed all night on both sides of the ball, the coaching staff and in the FO/ownership box for doing this Canadian deal. What a joke.

Put Evans in Indy, San Diego, Minnesota, or anywhere else that has a top notch NFL QB, that has an OL that actually blocks for that QB, and you would see Evans blowing up. Evans has put up solid #'s his whole career here with below average QB's and inconsistent OL's that give those below average QB's time to throw the ball. Is he overpaid? Maybe so, but he is a good player and one of the better on our dismal team.

Thanks for making my point. Football (offensive anyways) is about the OL and QB. It doesn't matter who you WRs are because as long as they are adequate, you can win games.

I love Evans, he is one of the best players on this team, but Id rather have a 9 Million dollar LT, and a guy like Kevin Walter from the Texans.

I've been saying this for a while now, he is a top notch #2 WR. There is no doubt that the inefficiencies of our OL and QB have capped his production capabilities, but that doesn't take away the fact that he is an average intermediate route runner. I don't know how many times where I have seen him run rounded routes, or where he was unable to get separation from db's. He has phenomenal speed, and is able to get separation on the deeper routes but not on the intermediate one's. Which baffles me, why in the hell are we not throwing the deep route to Lee Evans? Jesus, it seems like we never do, other than an occasional 35-40 yard lob. :sick:

Simply put, he's not worth $9 Million a year.