Not as enamored with a big name coach anymore

zow2

I must be coming down from my post-Jauron high. I'm not as enamored with the "big name" as I was a couple weeks ago. I'm not saying Perry is THE GUY, but he has shown that the right amount of coach-interaction, attitude, personnel moves and motivation can light a fire.

I'm much more concerned about player personnel and getting the right people in here. I mean do you really think Jim Caldwell and Sean Payton would be undefeated in Buffalo? of course not. Any GM that's capable of being in the NFL will know they need to fortify the trenches. Look what Cincinnati has done with a much improved O-line and D-line.

Above all else, the Bills really need to make a smart decision about QB. Fitz is showing in spurts how beneficial it is to have a QB that can recognize defense and coverages. That play where he scored the 31 yd TD, he knew the play was designed to flow left so when he got flushed, no one would be on the right. That's smart QB'ing. So was the audible for the long TO touchdown pass (2 weeks in a row).

Speaking of QB, I've done a total 180 on Tebow. For most of this season I just figured he'd be an average pro or below. He isn't the greatest passer, doesn't have the best arm, etc... Now I've come around to see that he's smart, a winner and has a ton of confidence. He's just one of those players that will refuse to be average. I don't care who is around him. He will probably be drafted in the top 10, so if the Bills keep winning they may not get a shot. If they did take Tebow, I would not be disappointed at all.

Obviously I want to watch how Fewell does over the remainder of the season before really making up my mind about him. However, if the team continues to perform as it has the last two weeks - I'm not sure what an old man big name coach can really bring you that he can't (assuming we still address the football operations side of things).

He inspires, they play much more disciplined, he makes the calls that require guts.

I guess it shouldn't have been too surprising. Over the past 3 seasons his defenses have never quit despite comatose offenses giving it no support, and little prospect of victory. They've been really the only reason we've even been competitive under Jauron

In 2 weeks, we've seen a different Bills team on the field. I think we should all wait until the end of the season and see how the team finishes. I do think at a minimum, we need a GM that can get the right guys in here and a new strength & conditioning coach.

Instead of comparing Fewell to just Dick(less) Jauron, compare him to Wade Gump, Greggo and Meathead as well. When was the last time we've seen a Bills team fired up to play like this? There's still 5 more games so no need to make any decisions yet.

PTR

I must be coming down from my post-Jauron high. I'm not as enamored with the "big name" as I was a couple weeks ago. I'm not saying Perry is THE GUY, but he has shown that the right amount of coach-interaction, attitude, personnel moves and motivation can light a fire.

I'm much more concerned about player personnel and getting the right people in here. I mean do you really think Jim Caldwell and Sean Payton would be undefeated in Buffalo? of course not. Any GM that's capable of being in the NFL will know they need to fortify the trenches. Look what Cincinnati has done with a much improved O-line and D-line.

Above all else, the Bills really need to make a smart decision about QB. Fitz is showing in spurts how beneficial it is to have a QB that can recognize defense and coverages. That play where he scored the 31 yd TD, he knew the play was designed to flow left so when he got flushed, no one would be on the right. That's smart QB'ing. So was the audible for the long TO touchdown pass (2 weeks in a row).

Speaking of QB, I've done a total 180 on Tebow. For most of this season I just figured he'd be an average pro or below. He isn't the greatest passer, doesn't have the best arm, etc... Now I've come around to see that he's smart, a winner and has a ton of confidence. He's just one of those players that will refuse to be average. I don't care who is around him. He will probably be drafted in the top 10, so if the Bills keep winning they may not get a shot. If they did take Tebow, I would not be disappointed at all.

Look around at most of the good teams, and I think you'll find that they benefit greatly from Free Agency pick-ups. Right now, most decent free agents wouldn't give Buffalo a thought - and that's because of the front office and Head Coaching situation. I think we need legitmate names for GM and HC in order to bring in decent players.

I think, if nothing else, Fitz has shown that he is our backup QB of the future. That's no small role. He's a career backup, so it's not like there will be any controversy ... of course, unless T.O. sticks around (hightly doubtful).

Drafting Tebow would be a typical Ralph/Russ move, because it would generate the excitement necessary to sell season tickets. I like Tebow. I don't think you'll find a player in this draft with more heart than Tebow. I go back and forth with myself deciding whether or not I think he's an NFL QB. I think he's an NFL player, but most of me thinks he's a TE. But other than McCoy, I don't see anyone that is going to be an immediate difference maker.

If we draft Tebow, I'll be excited about it, no doubt. I just don't know if that's the answer. But looking at free agent QBs, I'd have to say, "why the hell not take a chance on Tebow?" Who's better? Billy Volek? Be real.

I'm still holding onto hope that Shanahan will be in the mix somehow, someway. Either as GM, coach or both. If we keep hiring 1st time GMs and coaches, no one will want to play here, and we'll suck forever.

I'm still holding onto hope that Shanahan will be in the mix somehow, someway. Either as GM, coach or both. If we keep hiring 1st time GMs and coaches, no one will want to play here, and we'll suck forever.

Really? Did you know that there are only 5 head coaches in the NFL with prior experience? The other 27 teams have first-timers. That includes 11 of the 14 teams in or tied for a playoff berth. If hiring experienced coaches meant automatic success you'd think more teams in the NFL would do it.

PTR

Fix the program first, then the players will come.

GM first to design the plan to win the superbowl. Frankly I'd give the young Pollian kid a serious look.

GM decides on the coach we need

Draft and free agency to fix the trenches first and linebacking this year. T"HERE IS NO PEYTON MANNING in the qb hunt this year. Build the lines and perhaps take a flyer on a qb in the third or fourth round, if that.

SIGN our "franchise" players. Hell...we could build a playoff contender with the players we let leave the bills over the last six or seven years.

Be aggressive in free agency.

That's how it needs to be done. We could have a playoff contender next year and be deep into the playoffs the year after if only we follow this plan.

Instead.....

Pick a used up big name guy whose best days are behind him...(hmm...Jauron, Chuck Knox, John Rauch)

Hamper the coach by creating friction with the non-support of the front office (Phillips, Mularkey, Williams)

Draft from the back up....Safeties and cornerbacks, receivers and running backs and ignore the offensive and defensive lines.

Let stellar players on board see you pay lesser players top dollars in free agency and let them "test the market" with the inevitable result that we lose them. (Washington, Fat Pat, Jason Peters, Clements, Winfield, Spikes, etc. )

Deming said if you have three men who fail in the same job, you have to look at the job itself. Time to reevaluate and rebuild. Phillips is a head coach and both Mularkey and Williams are hot prospects for a head coaching job right now. The problem may not be the coaching....

I agree with you 100%. $10 Mill per is a lot for a coach...especially if he gets 5 years. Then you have to think...what if the guy doesn't last 5 years? Then we owe another coach, who left us worse than we were, but we owe him $10 mil per.

My take, worthless as it is, would be this...if it isn't Cowher, it isn't worth the money. He, really, is the only coach I could justify ponying up that kind of scratch for. He was a fiery leader, has a boat-load of prestige, and is allergic to losing. Remember the end of the Chuck Knoll era? Cowher built that team back into a perennial contender, they always draft well (which doesn't mean an All-World player every pick,) and I am struggling to think of a time that he made a poor decision. I am sure some didn't end as he wanted, but at the time made sense and would put his team in a position to win. He wants $12 Mil, and a couple Sabres ducats, give it to him... slow-head or hand-release from the Jill of his choice...so be it.

Shanahan...although I was riding high on the prospect of the rushing game, and would have kissed the ring immediately after RW told DJ to "Step into my office." DJ: "Why" RW: "You're f#$king fired, that's why." I was not surprised by his being fired after finished 3 games ahead of Jauron, from 06-08, and he had an open checkbook. The team was in flux, but he held the purse.

Gruden, the end of his Tampa career is frightening. He is fiery, and sounds good on MNF, but if the fecal matter hits the oscillating air relocation device, he kind of snapped and it wasn't pretty....and we've been known to have a s@#t-storm or two in B-Lo.

So, after Richard has finally extracted Mr. Wilson's house shoe from his corn-hole, I have to say that it's big bucks for Cowher, or else we start looking real hard at other options. Other options being, Perry, or another up and coming coordinator, or the dude from the CFL, not some washed up failure of an NFL coach...we've done that. Somebody that is winning somewhere, and is a leader. With a very limited specimen, Per-Bear, has two check marks. I am not saying hire him, but time for serious consideration.

Tebow doesn't require the same diatribe. Tebow=Win Everything. Drink the Kool-Aide. This guy is going to be a great NFL QB if he has the right coach and the right scheme. I don't mean he needs to be in a spread...wouldn't hurt, but he is smart, and he will figure it out, because that's what he does. Haters keep on hating. That's fine. He's been getting it for three years and only responded by kicking all kinds of arse. UF loses, he rallies them and back they come. Stats are sick, his leadership is sicker. 3 years of total domination in the SEC...there are a lot of current NFL players that he has torched.

Cowher mentoring Tebow, who is way more athletic than Ben, uh-oh. Shanahan hoping for an Eway Jr.? Fun time to be a fan.

right now my semi-realistic ideal (assuming no dream scenarios of Cowher etc.) would be Fewell at HC, and if the Texans fire Kubiak, bring in Kubiak as a Offensive Coordinator. That second thing might take a lot of money and persuasion but I think his offense would be perfect for us.

GM first to design the plan to win the superbowl. Frankly I'd give the young Pollian kid a serious look.

Draft and free agency to fix the trenches first and linebacking this year. T"HERE IS NO PEYTON MANNING in the qb hunt this year. Build the lines and perhaps take a flyer on a qb in the third or fourth round, if that.

SIGN our "franchise" players. Hell...we could build a playoff contender with the players we let leave the bills over the last six or seven years.

That's how it needs to be done. We could have a playoff contender next year and be deep into the playoffs the year after if only we follow this plan.

Instead.....

Pick a used up big name guy whose best days are behind him...(hmm...Jauron, Chuck Knox, John Rauch)

Hamper the coach by creating friction with the non-support of the front office (Phillips, Mularkey, Williams)

Draft from the back up....Safeties and cornerbacks, receivers and running backs and ignore the offensive and defensive lines.

Let stellar players on board see you pay lesser players top dollars in free agency and let them "test the market" with the inevitable result that we lose them. (Washington, Fat Pat, Jason Peters, Clements, Winfield, Spikes, etc. )

Deming said if you have three men who fail in the same job, you have to look at the job itself. Time to reevaluate and rebuild. Phillips is a head coach and both Mularkey and Williams are hot prospects for a head coaching job right now. The problem may not be the coaching....

Couple days too late. He's done been looked at, and the golden child is the heir-apparent in the Indy.

GM with an up and coming coach is probably the best way. Cowher only guy I would give double duty to, but that may be short lived, there is a reason those are 2 very high paying positions.. They are both demanding, and high turn-around. Too much for one guy.

Really? Did you know that there are only 5 head coaches in the NFL with prior experience? The other 27 teams have first-timers. That includes 11 of the 14 teams in or tied for a playoff berth. If hiring experienced coaches meant automatic success you'd think more teams in the NFL would do it.

PTR

And how many of those 27 head coaches were coordinators/asst. coaches for legitimate head coaches? (eg. Tomlin under Cowher)

And how many of those 27 head coaches were coordinators/asst. coaches for legitimate head coaches? (eg. Tomlin under Cowher)

Tomlin wasn't under Cowher. He was under Childress as a coordinator and under Dungy as a Defensive Backs coach

I believe Fewell served under Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville and Lovie Smith in Chicago.

PTR

In 2 weeks, we've seen a different Bills team on the field. I think we should all wait until the end of the season and see how the team finishes. I do think at a minimum, we need a GM that can get the right guys in here and a new strength & conditioning coach.

Yeah, I agree. I posted on here a while ago that one of things that impressed me this year was how the defense, despite being ravaged by injury, could still keep us competitive in games when our offense was totally inept. Fewell now has brought life to the offense as well, so I am curious to how this team finishes the year.

If the decision was made today, I would still go with an established big time coach...but Fewell so far has made a very clear impact on this team and he should at least get the full remainder of the season to audition for the job. If he finsishes strong he should be given some real consideration.

Would still love to see a GM as well.

Instead.....

With very very few exceptions, QBs take two or three years to get ready. If you wait till next year to draft a QB, this team should be ready by, say, 2012.

They need to take a long hard look at the QBs this year. If there's a guy you believe in, take him.

If there's a guy they believe in next year, what's the guarantee that some team doesn't take him before we get the chance. There is none. When you see a chance to get a franchise QB, you always always take him. Your next shot at a franchise guy might come five or six years down the road.

Look around at most of the good teams, and I think you'll find that they benefit greatly from Free Agency pick-ups. Right now, most decent free agents wouldn't give Buffalo a thought - and that's because of the front office and Head Coaching situation. I think we need legitmate names for GM and HC in order to bring in decent players.

I think, if nothing else, Fitz has shown that he is our backup QB of the future. That's no small role. He's a career backup, so it's not like there will be any controversy ... of course, unless T.O. sticks around (hightly doubtful).

Drafting Tebow would be a typical Ralph/Russ move, because it would generate the excitement necessary to sell season tickets. I like Tebow. I don't think you'll find a player in this draft with more heart than Tebow. I go back and forth with myself deciding whether or not I think he's an NFL QB. I think he's an NFL player, but most of me thinks he's a TE. But other than McCoy, I don't see anyone that is going to be an immediate difference maker.

If we draft Tebow, I'll be excited about it, no doubt. I just don't know if that's the answer. But looking at free agent QBs, I'd have to say, "why the hell not take a chance on Tebow?" Who's better? Billy Volek? Be real.

I don't mean to sound contrarian, but the general consensus around the league is that the best teams become the best teams by drafting well and keeping their own free agents. Look at the Superbowl winners of the last 5 years...they're all stocked with home-grown talent.

As for whether or not guys will want to play here, don't be fooled. Free agents will go where the money leads them, and that's generally why the teams that are the most active in FA don't win anything.

Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis, even Minnesota and New Orleans, they all draft well. You never see Pittsburgh sign a bevy of free agents, is always one or two 2nd-tier guys that generally serve as role players. The impact guys are all draft picks (Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Holmes, Ward, Wallace, Miller, their whole starting OL, their whole starting DL, 3 of 4 LBs, 2 of 4 DBs). Same with the others.

Now, there's an occasional FA or 2 in that group (i.e. Brees in NO--which was a big risk at the time, ditto for Favre in Minnesota and Moss in New England), but predominantly, it's all about drafting well and keeping key players.

Just my 1 cent.