LOST...Season 6

duey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. The donkey wheel represents the Buddhist wheel of life.

It's also known as the Wheel of Dharma. The spokes symbolize the Noble Eight Constituent Path (sammavaca, sammakammanta, samma-ajiva, sammavayama, sammasati, sammasamadhi, sammaditthi, sammasankappa).

like the Gilmour avatar, btw. One of the most under-appreciated guitarists, imo.

Thanks...I'm a huge PF fan so going that route for a post-Lost avatar was a no-brainer. And I agree...he's an amazing guitarist who does seem to kind of slip through the cracks in discussions of great guitarists.

Oh...and in regards to the last scenes of the wreakage on the beach, here is this explanation from ABC. Amazing how after six years the network still really had no clue about their viewers...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/26/lost-fin...cenes-wreckage/

So, raise your hand if you’ve spent the past three days obsessing over what was purgatory, what was real-life, for the past six years on Lost. No doubt, for many of you, a big part of your understanding has included an interpretation of the series’ final scenes of plane wreckage strewn across an empty beach, nothing but the white noise of crashing waves cutting through the deadly silence. Well, turns out ABC just threw those final scenes in there as a “visual aid,” and they didn’t actually have anything to do with the show’s plot. ABC told the LA Times that the network – and not executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse — added those shots of the beach simply to soften the transition from the emotional ending of the series finale to the 11 p.m. news and didn’t realize that viewers who had been obsessing over every detail of every scene of every episode might have considered the series’ final images as having some meaning. “”The images shown during the end credits of the Lost finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news,” an ABC spokesperson told the Times.

I, for one, initially interpreted those images as a sign that everyone died in the crash, which meant everything in the entire series was some kind of purgatory. When I suggested this in EW’s live, post-finale chat, there certainly those who said no, the Island was real but the Sideways World was purgatory. But it was also clear that I was far from the only one who, in trying to figure out just why the show ended with those images and how they fit into the story, came away with that assumption. I’m glad ABC cleared it up, so in my post-show reflection/depression I can just remove those images from the equation entirely. But still, Lost is hard enough to piece together and fully grasp. Kind of a weird move to end the entire saga with incidental footage.

Oh...and in regards to the last scenes of the wreakage on the beach, here is this explanation from ABC. Amazing how after six years the network still really had no clue about their viewers...

I had assumed it was not part of the show (I posted the below on about page 44 or so)....admittedly I thought it was more than transitional filler......and still believe it had impact in showing the "structure" of events without the human activity.

Kind of like when you move out of a house that held a lot of memories and yet when you go back in to triple check you did not forget something, the empty house evokes a lot of memories and strong emotions; while not being active at that moment.

Plus the relative silence (albeit white noise) just amplifies those emotions......not sure how they did not see that coming (actually causing more emotion than not)...anywho.....a great way to end.....

(e) I think the scene with the aircraft wreckage, after the light, was not really part of the show.....I think it was a panning shot from the 'show' to 'us' - with no link to the storyline........a powerful 'nod' to the imaginations of all for us to ruminate over in perpetuity - for us to make our own story.

Some items....

- The MIB's name has apparently been revealed as "Samuel." Link. This is going around the Internets based on the casting scripts. Judging from the number of people who either don't think it matters, thin it doesn't count b/c it's not LOST 'canon,' or actually prefer that he be/remain called "Man in Black," just shows Darlton made the right call. It probably would have made for too much of a biblical diversion that wouldn't really have gone anywhere. Also, as one person alluded, that was the Boy in Black's name... when the Smoke Monster / Cerberus inhabited his consciousness, "Samuel" was altered.

- Jacob could travel off-island and not worry about MIB getting off also, b/c the Light had to be shut off in order for MIB to leave. Jacob / the Island Protector is the only one who has access to the Light's area. It is apparently somehow hidden to others, except by invitation/accompaniment of the Protector.

- Also, this sounds like a very reasonable explanation of Eloise Hawking's character in the Sideways world. She is Island Enlightened, knows it's not real, and doesn't want to let go. (And, I would add that "how she knows what would happen in the original timeline" was that she had Daniel's journal. After Dan started flashing back, that was it, and why "for the first time in a long time, I don't know what happens next." That seemed pretty self-evident after "The Incident" when she got Dan's journal.)

- paulv70, we can't really explain all of the sounds the Smoke Monster made. If you go back to the Nikki & Paulo ep (Expose), tho, you'll find that part of it (I believe the ticka-ticka-ticka) was comprised of the paralytic spiders. I suppose you'd have to chalk the rest up to the physics of rapid air movement, and metaphysics.

I'm one who initially put some interpretation stock into that. That was pretty ****ty of the network to do, especially w/o asking the producers. They wanted from the start to have the last, last, last image of the show be Jack's closing eye, and some stooge just had to ---- with it. Hope it's fixed in the DVDs.

It would've helped immensely to have put some kind of word mark there, a tribute, a thanks to the fans, a "THE END" etc. to really hit it home that the scene was separate from the storytelling/content of the series.

Sorry for the flood here, but also remember that some of the Temple survivors who went with FLocke and were not killed by Widmore's bombs were still on the island. I believe that included Cindy, the 815 stewardess and Zach & Emma. Suppose that Hurley would get them home, or would they stay on-island? It would be pretty difficult to resume their old lives b/c of the O6's public statements. But I suppose that Ben's network could hook them up with new identities if they wanted to leave.

It would be interesting for them to be part of the Hurley-reign storyline, tho. Also, I would like to believe Hurley sets up a Mr. Cluck's franchise on the island... or at least imports some more chickens. 0:)

Rose and Bernard apparently don't leave, and I would imagine that Vincent stays with them as he had been. And, I imagine that if/when Hurley finds Jack's body, they bury him on Boone Hill.

Well.....how megalomaniacal of ABC to exercise such ham-handed editorial license for our tender psyches! Jeezus H Christ on a Bicycle. Couldn't they sit the uck-fay down for once and just appreciate what they had for the last 6 years without stomping around in the wet cement like a bunch of 4 year olds?

Im one of the lucky ones that did not jump to any conclusions about the "Island Wreckage" footage. I guess it was because I was so exhausted at that point that I couldn't process anything else, but I took it as a nice quiet tribute to the show. Jack closed his eye, we got the "LOST" splash-screen, and I was done.

Once you know for sure that it doesnt mean anything, I think it was a nice addition, and I get what ABC was trying to do with supplying a buffer before jumping back to reality. It really showed how far the show, and the survivors had come. What started as a plane crash on a beach, turned into a time-jumping, Diety-killing rollercoaster of an adventure.

Rose and Bernard apparently don't leave, and I would imagine that Vincent stays with them as he had been. And, I imagine that if/when Hurley finds Jack's body, they bury him on Boone Hill.

I had this conversation literally 5 minutes ago. We were talking about Hurley and Ben finding and burying Jack, and what that must have been like.

I also added that it would have been nice (but way too cheesy and I understand it might have ruined the show) if they had Vincent come running in the church when Christian opened the doors to the light. But then all the cyber-fans would have thought that meant Vincent was God or something... Just thought it was a nice (but too cheesy) touch.

I have a few questions upon further reflection. (Please keep in mind, per my earlier posts, that I was in the too-many-unanswered-questions/complainer camp, but came to realize that the actual problem was me: I had not invested enough time and neurons to index all the facts and conjecture, so the questions seemed unanswered when they were actually resolved or resolve-able through inference.)

Anyway, here are a few things that still don't make sense to me:

1) Why did the smoke monster need to change human forms? And was one of his forms Christian Shepherd? And/or anyone else other than MIB and Locke?

2) What happened when Jughead was detonated? Why didn't the Lostaways die? Was there a time flash that took them away from the actual detonation? Or were they immune to it because they couldn't be killed by a non-candidate (Juliet)?

3) Why/how was Sayid revived from death? And why did Dogen subsequently tell Sayid that he had the "wrong kind" of energy based upon the torture test?

OK, that's it for now. I appreciate everyone's knowledge and wisdom, and have hereby sworn off claiming that there were too many unanswered questions!

Man, I can't stop thinking about 'The End.'

If Aaron's one of the castaway's moving on from the sideways world, how come he's still shown as a baby? And will Claire and Charley be changing dipers in Heaven for all eternity? Sigh...

I have a few questions upon further reflection. (Please keep in mind, per my earlier posts, that I was in the too-many-unanswered-questions/complainer camp, but came to realize that the actual problem was me: I had not invested enough time and neurons to index all the facts and conjecture, so the questions seemed unanswered when they were actually resolved or resolve-able through inference.)

1) Why did the smoke monster need to change human forms? And was one of his forms Christian Shepherd? And/or anyone else other than MIB and Locke?

2) What happened when Jughead was detonated? Why didn't the Lostaways die? Was there a time flash that took them away from the actual detonation? Or were they immune to it because they couldn't be killed by a non-candidate (Juliet)?

3) Why/how was Sayid revived from death? And why did Dogen subsequently tell Sayid that he had the "wrong kind" of energy based upon the torture test?

OK, that's it for now. I appreciate everyone's knowledge and wisdom, and have hereby sworn off claiming that there were too many unanswered questions!

hey UB, im glad you decided to join the discussion! half the fun was talking about the show and now its all we have left 0:) and these are some great questions. probably the best ive seen after i asked someone to list their remaining questions.

1. from what ive seen, he changed forms in order to manipulate people. as Dogan said, "he will be in the form of someone familiar and dead". what's an easier way to manipulate someone than showing up as a dead loved one and asking them to do something? plus, it seems the "rule" was that he could only take the form of someone dead and UNBURIED on the Island. I think this was why it was so important that Richard took the body of the Dharma leader back to his people. So they could bury it and know it was not Smokey visiting them.

2. Great question. not sure that we'll ever really know exactly what happened. what we do know is that when it detonated, the LOSTIES jumped back through time to present day, so we can assume that the release of that energy sent them through time instead of blowing them up in the explosion. This post has some pretty good ideas about the Alt timeline, and how the detonation created it, and what it meant to the LOSTIES.

3. "HOW" is going to have to be left up to faith, one of the show's main themes, as I can not tell you the science behind bringing someone back from the dead :w00t: I'll assume that the waters in the temple, were the same that ran to the Light Chamber. While it was never fully explained, we know that is where Richard took Ben when he was shot as a boy to be healed. NOW, I also believe it was pointed out that the fountain did not work for Sayid, and it was not the water that brought him back to life as he did not revive instantly. So this might mean that the MiB got to him somehow, just like he can get to other dead bodies left unburied on the Island, and that gave him the "wrong energy". There is a lot of grey area on this though. Great question.

I was thinking about things that were left unexplained last night, and thought about Dogan's test as well. It doesnt seem to relate to anything we saw.

Man, I can't stop thinking about 'The End.'

If Aaron's one of the castaway's moving on from the sideways world, how come he's still shown as a baby? And will Claire and Charley be changing dipers in Heaven for all eternity? Sigh...

Just read a theory which I posted in another reply, that says they were not all moving on to heaven or the afterlife, but that they were then finally able to move on with their lives. and that the ALT timeline was just that, an alternative place with no time, but space.

here is the theory with the information from Faraday's journal. kinda changes things a little if true.

http://theoriesonlost.blogspot.com/2010/05...rything-by.html

Smokey took the form of MIB, Locke, Christian Shepherd, Richard's wife and, I believe, Eko's brother. Sometimes I wonder of some of the dead people Hurley saw were smokey. I also wonder if Kate's horse was smokey.

a friend just messaged me the following thought:

If it was the Jughead detonation which caused the childbirth issues on the Island, then Juliet CAUSED the childbirth problem. The same problem she was brought to the Island to fix 30 years later, which then set her up to go back in time and again, cause the problem.... and so on.

Just thinking back to previous questions, not trying to cause trouble, more looking to wrap things up in my head.

The ash they used to spread to keep smokey away. Do we know what that was or where it came from? Why it was so powerful?

After a few days thought... Im not a fan of the ending, but it could be a lot worse... most of the time a finale doesnt come close to expectations and could even ruin a series (see Sopranos, The). I think the writers needed some sort of major event and/or major twist at the end. The whole "purgatory" thing was just fabricated from material introduced in the this season.

Also, if you look at the final conflict it is pretty unsatisfying. Like WTF was the point of Ben turning in the 2nd last episode? The final fight wasnt good at all, there were much better fights throughout the series. The final resolution to the whole thing was unplug a mysterious plug so light stops shining in a cave, throw the evil guy onto rocks, then plug the thing back in?

I saw much better conclusions written by fans on the internet over the course of the past few years. Pretty bad writing here iMO. The series (potentially one of the greatest serieses ever IMO) went out with a whimper. Also take into account that fans have been looking forward to a huge "mind f*ck" at the end for 6 years.