LOST...Season 6

duey

What's funny is Damon uses the mida-chlorine thing as an example of what to avoid. He gives the same logic you just did as to why the prequels sucked and worked his ass off to avoid doing the same with LOST.

Again, I can't say too much, but I don't think anything about the light was explained in that episode. It's just the power of good. The force if you will. Which was really all we knew about it before that episode (that the island had powers ... powers to heal, powers to skip time, powers to move locations). The only thing this episode did was show us what that power looks like. Light.

So I don't really know why people are saying the light is lame. We've already seen the light on the island countless times (every time they skipped through time etc). They didn't explain it or break it down. We just "saw" it.

And I know I'm coming at this from a totally different perspective, so I'm not bashing you or anything. I'm just kind of shocked that people are so upset about the "light". I expected there to be more outrage over adam & eve's identity than the light. Just never saw it coming.

As I referenced, how many people seemed this peeved over the bright light in "Pulp Fiction"? Does it really matter to the story of Vincent and "Bad Mother F----" Jules what's in the briefcase?

It's not like it's a 60-watt incandescent down there. Like radioactive material is warm, that warmth is not the most important property. Light is just the visual of what it looks like from 40 feet away. As you say, we've seen the light plenty of times before, only not as close, and now some people are complaining that we didn't get to see it from an inch away. Well, people aren't meant to see it closely. Bad things happen to those who see it closely. It's a kept secret for a reason, and I can understand if it stays that way.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I referenced, how many people seemed this peeved over the bright light in "Pulp Fiction"? Does it really matter to the story what's in the briefcase?

It's not like it's a 60-watt incandescent down there. Like radioactive material is warm, that warmth is not the most important property. Light is just the visual of what it looks like from 40 feet away. As you say, we've seen the light plenty of times before, only not as close, and now some people are complaining that we didn't get to see it from an inch away. Well, people aren't meant to see it closely. Bad things happen to those who see it closely. It's a kept secret for a reason, and I can understand if it stays that way.

I like the Pulp Fiction reference. Great movie.

And I know I'm coming at this from a totally different perspective, so I'm not bashing you or anything. I'm just kind of shocked that people are so upset about the "light". I expected there to be more outrage over adam & eve's identity than the light. Just never saw it coming.

Maybe it would have worked better if they hadn't used Thomas Kinkade as a set designer...

lol, I don't know how any mortal male can resist that long-haired, mediterranean goddess look <_<

Well there are a few men like Tom Friendly who could resist but certainly not me. I hate to say it but right after she gave birth to Jacob my first thought was MILF.

Well there are a few men like Tom Friendly who could resist but certainly not me. I hate to say it but right after she gave birth to Jacob my first thought was MILF.

<_<

As it looks now (and i hope it changes in the last 3.5 hours) we are left with some major themes, such as Dharma and the numbers, that have been largely ignored.

The numbers were explained. Each one corresponded to a candidate written on the cave and MIB (or someone) said Jacob had a "thing for numbers".

What if the MIB is the island protector, and Jacob was just made to believe that he was by the fake mother? It would stand to reason that the only way to destroy the village and kill all of those people, as well as fill in the well had to be done by the smoke monster. Perhaps the fake Mom was the smoke monster all along, and it was all a set up to make sure that the MIB was the true protector of the island, and not Jacob?

Perhaps the true mystery of the island is how it keeps getting all these super-gorgeous ladies to hang out on it. Electromag-daddy!

Nah...the true mystery of the island is now Hurley hasn't lost a friggin' pound after being on the island for all that time. <_<

Nah...the true mystery of the island is now Hurley hasn't lost a friggin' pound after being on the island for all that time. <_<

a few years ago he said in an interview that they don't pay him enough to lose weight...

Wow. Quite a list. Some of those have answers of a sort, some whose answers are speculation, and some don't have answers (at least, not yet).

The point of the last six seasons was showing the progression ("everything that happens until then is just progress") of how the 815 survivors were shaped by what they experienced on and off the island; by their past, by their present, by the past that was their present.... They needed all of it to pare down who would be the candidate. A long, unpleasant, death-filled interview for a job that doesn't have too many perks.

The Others did some of their own things, but they also acted on Jacob's lists and generally protected the Island from various invading peoples. They also aided Jacob pushing the candidates along the paths they had to travel. Had they not cleared the runway on Hydra Island, where would Ajira 316 have landed?

The best theory I've seen is that the Jughead bomb directly underneath Dharmaville caused some kind of reproductive anomaly. Either that or babies just aren't meant to be conceived and born on the island, as one of the rules. Ethan seems to be the exception... and it was because his future self directly impacted a candidate, and then he was killed when his purpose was done.

The Others could leave and return, ostensibly by ships e.g. whatever that Army unit arrived on, the boat took Walt and after the Purge, on the submarine. Richard Alpert said he went off-island three times (and thence, I wonder why he still said that the Island was Hell a few weeks back...). Twice for Locke, and once for Juliet. He was checking out Locke to see whether his claims of being the next Others leader had any veracity. Richard said he never saw anything special from Locke during these visits.... Combined with the time-traveling stuff, I seriously wonder what Young Locke needed to do in order to get Richard's attention, what with the drawings of the smoke monster, etc. But, then again, at that point, Richard had been on-island for ~ 100 years, and even now, he seems pretty clueless as to what's happening.

I'm not sure they controlled those events. They could have. But you have to listen to Eloise Hawking about those things; the universe course corrects. With some give and take, what needs to happen, happens. If you're not needed anymore, the universe will kill you or won't go to any trouble to save you.

The Flame station, which Mikhail ran, was equipped with a satellite dish. Perhaps it was linked up with the Others who were off-island. Also, the remote camera shot with Richard showing Juliet's sister wasn't out of the realm of reality, nor require Island magic. It's video.

The 305 bearing appeared to be a small break in whatever kind of energy that surrounded the Island, and which caused the temporal shifts in some people.

Ben Linus had an apparently sizable network of off-island Others who ran front businesses. The people he had Sayid kill were Widmore's people. Ostensibly Ben did this so he could control the island, and probably as payback for the mercenaries that killed Alex. When Ben went to kill Penny, he lost his nerve, especially once he saw young Charlie.

That's an unanswered question about Jacob leaving the Island. We don't know how he was able to do that, or why he needed to leave when it seemed that many others had been "pushed" to the Island without being touched. Can theorize though. Perhaps the Lighthouse had a larger function than just viewing the candidates. Perhaps Jacob could manipulate the mirrors to appear in those various times. Or, one could argue that Jacob couldn't leave the Island if he was the Island. Something in what Mother said there after he drank from the cup, "You and I are the same now."

Re: the Lamp Post station, it's my belief that Daniel Faraday, during the '74-'77 time-jump when he became a black-suit in DHARMA, was heavily involved. It was he who found the Island for Widmore in 2004; stands to reason he'd know how to go about doing it again. Eloise Hawking seemed overly... proud.... when she explained that a "brilliant man" had constructed it.

Dharma was just another in a large number of groups of people who came to the island and snooped around at its properties; only, their work was more advanced than any previous group. I'm not sure if they were all that important other than to, as I wrote above, be part of what pushed certain of the Candidates to where Jacob needed them to be and do what they needed to do.

Are these from the show or your conjecture? 4+ seasons we are shown hints and clues about the mysterious Dharma Initiative only to have them disappear in season 6? That's weak! But like Tgregg says, there's still 3.5 hours to go so I'll withhold final judgement.

PTR

Are these from the show or your conjecture? 4+ seasons we are shown hints and clues about the mysterious Dharma Initiative only to have them disappear in season 6? That's weak! But like Tgregg says, there's still 3.5 hours to go so I'll withhold final judgement.

PTR

the show REQUIRES that the viewers use some guessing and detective work. thats the point!

and what more do you want/need to know about the Dharma Initiative? honestly, ask away and I'll try to get you answers, because I believe they are already out there.

PTR

Well, if you read them, you'll see it's a mix of facts and some conjecture that is based on what we have seen. E..g the off-island Others ran a butcher shop, a legal office, etc.

This isn't really a show that expects you to sit back, shut your brain off and be entertained. It never was. They expect you to use your gray matter. I guess some people have a problem with that.

As I wrote, in the big picture, DI and the Others both existed to push the candidates to where they needed to go, what they needed to do. Can't say it much plainer....

If you're looking for a 'DI/Others saved the world' definitive answer, the answer is yes, they did and no, they didn't. They kept the status quo going, they were part of the set-up to the fulfillment of Jacob's plan, his 20-moves-ahead strategy. They played an important part (and with Ben still aboard, they still are). But it's the candidates who are the main points of focus.

You're losing sight of the forest by looking too closely at a couple of the trees.

the show REQUIRES that the viewers use some guessing and detective work. thats the point!

and what more do you want/need to know about the Dharma Initiative? honestly, ask away and I'll try to get you answers, because I believe they are already out there.

I appreciate the fact that you're defending the show and all, and honestly this debate we're having is a lot of fun so I can understand better what I've missed over the past six years, lol. But don't you think you're having to use that line just a little too much? I can understand that here and there we have some minor details and plot points that we just need to accept and not worry about mindfukking, but doesn't it seem like we're having to say that about a LOT of stuff? And isn't a lot of that stuff really IMPORTANT stuff? Dangling a carrot here and there for the viewer is great....it adds to the fun. But I think we're at the point now where we have a damn SHIITLOAD of carrots dangling out there and not a whole lot of resolution.

And I know, we still have 3.5 more hours....I can't wait!

I appreciate the fact that you're defending the show and all, and honestly this debate we're having is a lot of fun so I can understand better what I've missed over the past six years, lol. But don't you think you're having to use that line just a little too much? I can understand that here and there we have some minor details and plot points that we just need to accept and not worry about mindfukking, but doesn't it seem like we're having to say that about a LOT of stuff? And isn't a lot of that stuff really IMPORTANT stuff? Dangling a carrot here and there for the viewer is great....it adds to the fun. But I think we're at the point now where we have a damn SHIITLOAD of carrots dangling out there and not a whole lot of resolution.

And I know, we still have 3.5 more hours....I can't wait!

and what im saying is that there really ARENT a lot of dangling carrots left if you have been an active participant in the show as a viewer.

UConn explains it well in his post just above. That is the type of show this is. You will have to draw some conclusions yourself. And they have provided PLENTY of information to do so.

what "major plot holes" are left really? id be happy to discuss anything :thumbsup:

and what im saying is that there really ARENT a lot of dangling carrots left if you have been an active participant in the show as a viewer.

UConn explains it well in his post just above. That is the type of show this is. You will have to draw some conclusions yourself. And they have provided PLENTY of information to do so.

what "major plot holes" are left really? id be happy to discuss anything :thumbsup:

Well, if you guys have that solid of a grip on wtf is going on, then I'll shutup for a while and just watch the finale....lol I still see a helluva lot of carrots!