OK....I have been defending Maybin and I am not ready

His swim move upfield with no secondary move is starting to irritate me a bit......

I have coached DE's.......I have a son that plays DE.....I know a little bit.....

- Having a quick first step is a great thing to have....BUT....you have to change up your pass rush to keep the OT guessing

- Maybin swims up field.....and keeps swimming.....right past the QB then he tries to work his way back behind

- The OT's are just slid protecting, using lateral movement, and are stronger so they keep their hands on him to keep him from getting the edge

When the OT's are doing this Maybin MUST use a reverse spin move when he has worked his way past the QB. The OT's are so concentrated on their effort to keep him from gaining the outside edge on the rush he would probably spin right into sacks and make the OTs look ridiculous in the process

THEN you can capture the outside edge because the OT will now be uncertain of your next pass rush move and not fully commit to the wall off pass protection.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His swim move upfield with no secondary move is starting to irritate me a bit......

I have coached DE's.......I have a son that plays DE.....I know a little bit.....

- Having a quick first step is a great thing to have....BUT....you have to change up your pass rush to keep the OT guessing

- Maybin swims up field.....and keeps swimming.....right past the QB then he tries to work his way back behind

- The OT's are just slid protecting, using lateral movement, and are stronger so they keep their hands on him to keep him from getting the edge

When the OT's are doing this Maybin MUST use a reverse spin move when he has worked his way past the QB. The OT's are so concentrated on their effort to keep him from gaining the outside edge on the rush he would probably spin right into sacks and make the OTs look ridiculous in the process

THEN you can capture the outside edge because the OT will now be uncertain of your next pass rush move and not fully commit to the wall off pass protection.

Can you teach this to Kelsay and Ellis as well?

Hopefully, whoever is coaching this team next season will change things on both lines of the ball.

He had a tackle...yay. Better then the past few weeks.

He needs work and honestly he looks like he is the size of a linebacker, not a DE. I will be interested to see if they try and bulk him up or make hima linebacker in a 3-4.

Despite his issues, and someone said it....effort is not the problem, he gives it his all...problem is his all just isn't getting it done. His first step may be great but if you can't get around the tackle what good is it? And from the looks of it he is not strong enough to push around the tackles, especially since they weigh at least 60 lbs more than him.

Coaches need to find a better way for him to attack.

Were I am opposing team, I'd break Maybin's little DE body into bite-sizes pieces if he irked me a couple of times with a dance routine.

I'll give him respect when he shoves one of my wide bodies to the turf, then races on.

John,

I agree with what you are saying... But I will also say that Maybin is one of those players that needs more time to develop... He came out after really only playing 2 years at Penn State and then missed the entire length of training camp... I think the 2010 season might give us a better gauge as to how his technique is evolving...

The guy is built like a WR. Tall, lean, and thin. How can anyone expect him to push thru an offensive lineman even if can put on 30 pounds of muscle? The only chance he has to even play is as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. As a DE, Modrak wiffed on this one big time.

John,

I agree with what you are saying... But I will also say that Maybin is one of those players that needs more time to develop... He came out after really only playing 2 years at Penn State and then missed the entire length of training camp... I think the 2010 season might give us a better gauge as to how his technique is evolving...

But guys like Mario Williams never needed time to develop, he just stepped right in and became a dominant DE after being taken #1 overall..................

The guy is built like a WR. Tall, lean, and thin. How can anyone expect him to push thru an offensive lineman even if can put on 30 pounds of muscle? The only chance he has to even play is as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. As a DE, Modrak wiffed on this one big time.

at his size, probably could play him at S.

But guys like Mario Williams never needed time to develop, he just stepped right in and became a dominant DE after being taken #1 overall..................

Mario Williams had 4.5 sacks and 35 solo tackles in his first year and started every game. That's hardly dominant in his first year. Good God man give Maybin some time. You say guys like Mario Williams "never" need time to develop, well you are almost completely wrong. Most guys need time to develop.

I agree. I had the good fortune of being on the field this past weekend for warmups and saw Maybin up close. I was stunned at how thin the guy is? don't get me wrong, he is chiseled and looks like an athletic freak. He's just somewhere closer to James Hardy size than a DE or even a LB. I'm normal build and 150 lbs and i guarantee my waist and rear end are a lot bigger than his! He is built like a track athlete. I'm not sure where you put him? he's a hybrid for sure.

The guy has great athletic ability and great attitude. He may indeed project better to an OLB as he has very good speed but give the kid time to develop. Not only is he a rookie but he is still very young. Only 21 yrs old so let him develop. Even if he gets to Schobel's size he will look better.