OK....I have been defending Maybin and I am not ready

Its not that Maybin is bad, although I don't see him as a dominant player by any stretch of the imagination. Its that we went into the draft knowing that the weakest spot on the team and the one most critical to be filled was the left tackle position, there were five outstanding tackles avaible in the draft and two of them were available when we picked. Baltimore picked Oher who started at right tackle and made a very successful move to left tackle. On those rare occassions when I actually see Maybin on the field I think about what a dumb move the front office made. This makes me more and more certain that we should make it our first order of business to get us a good GM BEFORE we go after a coach.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not that Maybin is bad, although I don't see him as a dominant player by any stretch of the imagination. Its that we went into the draft knowing that the weakest spot on the team and the one most critical to be filled was the left tackle position, there were five outstanding tackles avaible in the draft and two of them were available when we picked. Baltimore picked Oher who started at right tackle and made a very successful move to left tackle. On those rare occassions when I actually see Maybin on the field I think about what a dumb move the front office made. This makes me more and more certain that we should make it our first order of business to get us a good GM BEFORE we go after a coach.

I don't think Oher was very successful at LT. They shuffled him over there when their starter Gaither was nicked up, and scooted Oher back to RT when Gaither was a go.

I'm not knocking the kid, but I did watch the two CIN - BAL games, and to me, it seemed they were giving him a fair amount of help. IIRC, in the 1st game they switched him back to RT mid-game.

Still, no doubt he shows a lot of promise.

His swim move upfield with no secondary move is starting to irritate me a bit......

I have coached DE's.......I have a son that plays DE.....I know a little bit.....

- Having a quick first step is a great thing to have....BUT....you have to change up your pass rush to keep the OT guessing

- Maybin swims up field.....and keeps swimming.....right past the QB then he tries to work his way back behind

- The OT's are just slid protecting, using lateral movement, and are stronger so they keep their hands on him to keep him from getting the edge

When the OT's are doing this Maybin MUST use a reverse spin move when he has worked his way past the QB. The OT's are so concentrated on their effort to keep him from gaining the outside edge on the rush he would probably spin right into sacks and make the OTs look ridiculous in the process

THEN you can capture the outside edge because the OT will now be uncertain of your next pass rush move and not fully commit to the wall off pass protection.

Well I hope you noticed all of these tendencies when he was in college - because they were very evident - and were as unhappy with the selection as I.

Actually, Oher was much worse at LT than RT. Sensational RT, though. May become a good LT with time, but he's just not there now.

According to the stats on profootballfocus.com, Peters may be getting healthy again, because he had a very good e v a l last game and jumped up two spots. Oher's cumulative score stayed the same, as he got a total of 0.0 last game, but he's done better since returning to RT.

I will be happy with Maybin if he looks good next year or the year after. It seemed obvious to me that he would be a situational player his first year, and that was before his holdout. A huge majority of DEs look bad their first year. If Maybin doesn't pan out, though, passing on Oher will look worse and worse as time passes.

Jason Taylor?

Jason Taylor vs. Aaron Maybin.

Different situations, whatever. I'm sure Taylor probably played more and therefore had more chances to succeed, and so I'll give Aaron one more year. Regardless, no comparison can really be made. Taylor had 5 sacks in his rookie year, with 2 forced fumbles. Maybin has 6 tackles.

Jason Taylor is 6'6 260. Maybin is more like 6'4 240.

Funny, I didn't think this guy got on the field enough for the TSW Scouting Dept to have a full read on him. Now, you might be on to something with moving him to OLB, somebody should have thought of that months ago, and continued to post about it everyday since.

Maybe, just maybe, somebody associated with actually making team decisions has noted the points found on this board. It is hard to imagine though, because Jauron was very innovative and thought outside of the box all of time... If this guy was ever going to be good, I am sure it would have been in the combined two quarters he has actually been on the field. Pretty safe to say that he peaked and is only destined to decline from here. Age is also a factor. There are no really good DE's over the age of 21 in this league...He will be 22 come next season.

Although I am sure Shanahan can exhume some former All-Pro to come in and take the position. Whatever we do, it needs to be fast...Schobel only has 25 years left on his contract, and Kelsay's is up after 2011.

Honestly, I agree we need more pressure form our front 7, but in regards to Maybin, he was a project pick. I didn't agree with taking on any more projects, but he's here. I agree with the move to OLB, I think it solves two problems: A. Maybin's ineffectiveness against NFL OL, without forcing him to add 30 lbs, which is a tall order B. Our need for a strong fast OLB on the left side. I would have to believe that anybody that is a true football guy would be willing to make the change, barring the fact that AM shows up 30-40 lbs heavier at camp next year. We set expectations pretty high for him, which wasn't helped by his holding out. It is unfair to expect him to produce at his position with lack of PT, and his lack of size/strength.

Jauron was like a black-hole, wasting talent, and at this point, Perry is fighting for a job. Besides, it is way too late in the season to put him at LB now, when he doesn't know the position. Patience, my friends. The guy is fast, and obviously has some talent. We need a coach to bring him along, and we may actually be happy with the pick (some of us anyway...some will not be happy with a significant contributor to the greater whole of the D, see Whitner, Donte.)

Yes but Maybin is also young.....

I didn't have a problem with the pick because I knew we were not doing squat due to the coaching and upper mgt situation.....

Now if Maybin comes out next year with another 15 pounds of muscule on him and a second pass rush move......everybody will try to forget how much they were bagging on him.....

By the way.....I haven't commented on Oher but I saw one game of him and was impressed......even if it was at RT.

Actually, Oher was much worse at LT than RT. Sensational RT, though. May become a good LT with time, but he's just not there now.

According to the stats on profootballfocus.com, Peters may be getting healthy again, because he had a very good e v a l last game and jumped up two spots. Oher's cumulative score stayed the same, as he got a total of 0.0 last game, but he's done better since returning to RT.

I will be happy with Maybin if he looks good next year or the year after. It seemed obvious to me that he would be a situational player his first year, and that was before his holdout. A huge majority of DEs look bad their first year. If Maybin doesn't pan out, though, passing on Oher will look worse and worse as time passes.

Oher stepped in and played well at LT but when Gaither got over his injury moved back to RT. In fact he was a stellar LT in college in the SEC, so I believe there is no reason to think he wouldn't be a very very good LT. As far as we were concerned at the time of the draft a very good RT would have been great. Sign Peters for left, Oher at right.

I feel bad for Maybin as every time I see hime (which isn't all that often) I think how we could have gotten what we needed. I'm poulling for the guy to be a great player over time.

The guy is built like a WR. Tall, lean, and thin. How can anyone expect him to push thru an offensive lineman even if can put on 30 pounds of muscle? The only chance he has to even play is as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. As a DE, Modrak wiffed on this one big time.

I dont understand it. Where does this notion of him playing as a 3-4 OLB come from? As a OLB in a 3-4, he will be expected to "push thru an offensive lineman " He will effectively play the exact same role of pass rusher. He hasnt been able to get any kind of pressure rushing against the LT as a DE, but he is somehow magically going to be able top get pressure rushing against the LT as a OLB?

IMO his only chance of being able to see the field is as a OLB in the 4-3. He is quick sure, and looks athletic, but he cannot generate any kind of push/rush. He will rarely take on an OL in a 4-3, and if he is blitzed there is a high chance a back or TE picks him up. IMO he only has a chance at LB in a 4-3 because he wont be expected to rush the passer against NFL O lineman. Hopefully he has the strength to play the SAM, but I think he will be a WILL - if he ever starts.

I dont understand it. Where does this notion of him playing as a 3-4 OLB come from? As a OLB in a 3-4, he will be expected to "push thru an offensive lineman " He will effectively play the exact same role of pass rusher. He hasnt been able to get any kind of pressure rushing against the LT as a DE, but he is somehow magically going to be able top get pressure rushing against the LT as a OLB?

IMO his only chance of being able to see the field is as a OLB in the 4-3. He is quick sure, and looks athletic, but he cannot generate any kind of push/rush. He will rarely take on an OL in a 4-3, and if he is blitzed there is a high chance a back or TE picks him up. IMO he only has a chance at LB in a 4-3 because he wont be expected to rush the passer against NFL O lineman. Hopefully he has the strength to play the SAM, but I think he will be a WILL - if he ever starts.

Christ....he is a UNDERCLASSMAN who hasn't finished growing yet!

Can we at least wait to see if he gets naturally stronger?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&statisticCategory=SACKS&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_COMBINE_TACKLES&experience=0&d-447263-n=1&season=2009&Submit=Go&qualified=true&tabSeq=0&d-447263-p=2

THE MAN HAS 2 MORE TACKLES YTD THAN GLEN COFFEE, THE ROOKIE RB FOR THE 49ERS?!?!?!?

Are you kidding me?!?

Being undersized and not getting around OTs that outweigh him by 60+ lbs is one thing; the guy is never around the ball! He's played in 8 games for Christ sake!!! Football is football - especially on defense - especially on the defensive line! That's the one position you usually see rookies that have had success in college experience succeed the earliest because of the lack of reads and now situational substitutions for passing downs!

He's only got 2 ASSISTS for crying out loud!!! Get in on some plays son!!! Special teams???

Some of you guys want to give him credit for "hustle" - if you've ever played any team sport you've heard coaches talk about "false hustle" or hustle after the whistle... That's what I see when I watch him play. That's good in Pop Warner - it is meaningless and a con in the NFL.

Now I will say, some of the blame for his lack of productivity should fall on the coaching staff and, yes, Fewell. Only way this guy gets any better is with live rounds in games. Maybe Perry sees this and knows it too and just doesn't feel he can count on him?? We'll see how this plays out??

But do yourself a favor before you respond and just look at the list I linked above and read some of the guys in front of him and see what they HELD OUT FOR and where they went in the draft. It's early but this man has the strong resemblance of a bust and a horrible pick and allocation of funds by Modrak and our brass.

(Not completely dogging them mind you - really think the other picks this year have been solid and will be strong players for several years. God, please watch over Eric Wood and help him along!)

GO BILLS! SMACK THE JETS! C'mon Freddy!!!

Completely agree.

Maybin needed one more year of college seasoning.

He's raw but very talented. There just has to be patience with him and good coaching.

Luckily for us and him, pass rush moves can be taught and muscle can be built. He has the talent. As long as he brings the work ethic, he'll be a good one.

Christ....he is a UNDERCLASSMAN who hasn't finished growing yet!

Can we at least wait to see if he gets naturally stronger?

So are you saying that as he gets older, he will become a better 3-4 OLB than 4-3 DE? I still dont get the 3-4 OLB thing....

Great advice for a DE. The only problem Maybin is an OLB. The Bills FO needs to recognize it before they ask him to add twenty pounds and force him to try and stop the run. Aint never going to happen. Needs to play in a 2 point stance behind Schobel. Let's hope we see it today...

Great advice for a DE. The only problem Maybin is an OLB. The Bills FO needs to recognize it before they ask him to add twenty pounds and force him to try and stop the run. Aint never going to happen. Needs to play in a 2 point stance behind Schobel. Let's hope we see it today...

Size wise sure, but what makes you think he can play OLB when his entire high school and college career he played DE?

So are you saying that as he gets older, he will become a better 3-4 OLB than 4-3 DE? I still dont get the 3-4 OLB thing....

OLB's play in space.......think back to Bryce Paup

The reason why Aaron might be a better OLB is because of the space he has to operate in BEFORE he gets to the offensive linenmen (I just worry about pass coverage skills)

When you are a down linemen you make contact almost immedietley with the opposing OL....he gets his hands on you......if you are weaker then you are beat unless you posess an array of pass rush moves that make a OL worry about getting off balance and beat.

Maybin doesn't posess those moves yet......and he isnt strong enough yet....but the way a OLB plays and DE plays when it comes to the OL men is totally different.