Did Dan Marino really say that?!?

Golden Wheels

In the CBS post-game show, Marino said in all seriousness this about the Dolphins/Bills game:

"The game was closer than the score would indicate."

:flirt:

I'm glad Dan said that. Maybe it will shut up the whiners in Myhammy that are accusing the Bills of running up the score at the end.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the CBS post-game show, Marino said in all seriousness this about the Dolphins/Bills game:

I'm glad Dan said that. Maybe it will shut up the whiners in Myhammy that are accusing the Bills of running up the score at the end.

It is professional football, there is no such thing as running up the score.

Where did this come from? When was the last time the Bills were accused of running up the score?

First, is Marino wrong? No.

Second, if the Dolphins can guarantee that they won't try to score, then the Bills should guarantee that they don't run up the score. Go for the jugular - a two-possession lead isn't surmountable (just ask that Jauron fellow about the Monday night game against Dallas in 2007).

Well, he wasn't wrong...until the fourth quarter. It's not like miami played lights out. I think he was "covering" for miami. They had a few good drives, but clearly were not the better team today...CLEARLY! (much to my chagrin, but that's another tread)

Well, he wasn't wrong...until the fourth quarter. It's not like miami played lights out. I think he was "covering" for miami. They had a few good drives, but clearly were not the better team today...CLEARLY! (much to my chagrin, but that's another tread)

Disagree...Miami was the better team through the first 3 quarters. The Bills couldn't stop the run and Miami was moving the ball down the field at will.

That said, the Bills were the better team in the 4th when it mattered.

Owens was not running up the score. Jackson was. They could have taken knees at that point.

Could have or should have ? I, for one, was glad we kept the aggressive till the game was decidedly put away. We have been at the other end of the whipping stick for far too long. No need for us to show any mercy to any team, especially the Dolphins. Also, no reason why we shouldn't put a 2 TD+ lead together.

As for the OP, I don't know the context of Marino's comments but the game was close for 3 quarters and then we, uncharacteristically and emphatically put it away.

Disagree...Miami was the better team through the first 3 quarters. The Bills couldn't stop the run and Miami was moving the ball down the field at will.

That said, the Bills were the better team in the 4th when it mattered.

Did you not read where I said "until the fourth quarter"? And the Bills were doing a decent job at moving the ball as well.

... seems like they ran up the score against us back in the day ... their coach can dish it out but can't take it ...

Owens was not running up the score. Jackson was. They could have taken knees at that point.

Actually I liked Jackson's score. Or more accurately, I like the attitude in going for the score. The Bills had their collective foot on Miami's throat and decided to stomp on it.

If the score were 31-14 before Jackson scored, I would have thought taking a knee might have been appropriate. But with a 10 point margin at the time, the Bill decided to go for it and end any fantasy the Dolphins might have had in staging a comeback.

Could have or should have ? I, for one, was glad we kept the aggressive till the game was decidedly put away. We have been at the other end of the whipping stick for far too long. No need for us to show any mercy to any team, especially the Dolphins. Also, no reason why we shouldn't put a 2 TD+ lead together.

As for the OP, I don't know the context of Marino's comments but the game was close for 3 quarters and then we, uncharacteristically and emphatically put it away.

If you could have, then it's running up the score. Running up the score isn't always a moral inquiry. Sometimes, it just is.

I would have, just because I think it's more satisfying to kneel on a 1st and goal than put another TD on the board.

Actually I liked Jackson's score. Or more accurately, I like the attitude in going for the score. The Bills had their collective foot on Miami's throat and decided to stomp on it.

If the score were 31-14 before Jackson scored, I would have thought taking a knee might have been appropriate. But with a 10 point margin at the time, the Bill decided to go for it and end any fantasy the Dolphins might have had in staging a comeback.

In the overall scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but if you take a knee Miami has no hope of any comeback - it was first down, they had no timeouts, and there was only 1:20 left. Their hope would really be a fumble on the play when Jackson is going in for the score. It worked out for the Bills, so great, but I hope the decision was made out of a desire to reward the team and try to instill a winning attitude rather than ignorance of the game situation.

If you could have, then it's running up the score. Running up the score isn't always a moral inquiry. Sometimes, it just is.

I would have, just because I think it's more satisfying to kneel on a 1st and goal than put another TD on the board.

Yes we heard your opinion on your postgame show, Mr.Schopp.