Beer vs. Wine

BillsFanNC

I Just read an article how these down times will be a boon for cheap wine.

I read that too and I hate the word cheap. Sounds like you have to drink it out of a paper bag in the doorway of an abandoned building. I prefer the word inexpensive and recently I've discovered some great inexpensive wines. Mostly from Spain.

I Just read an article how these down times will be a boon for cheap wine.

I know a gentleman that samples wines at the Harris Teeter (high end) supermarkets here. He said that until the downturn he would sell people $20.00 bottles of wine by the armful. People would throw them into the cart without hesitating. Now, the price points have dropped to the $5-$6 dollar range. He knows his stuff and as Chef said, he has recently discovered some good inexpensive wines, I believe he was referring to Brazilian.

I know a gentleman that samples wines at the Harris Teeter (high end) supermarkets here. He said that until the downturn he would sell people $20.00 bottles of wine by the armful. People would throw them into the cart without hesitating. Now, the price points have dropped to the $5-$6 dollar range. He knows his stuff and as Chef said, he has recently discovered some good inexpensive wines, I believe he was referring to Brazilian.

Sometime ago Cincy got me onto: "Three Buck Chuck." @ Trader Joe's.

:thumbdown::rolleyes:

Funny though I bought a $45 bottle of French wine a couple of weeks back. Now when I buy the inexpensive stuff I usually buy wine with good reviews and 90 points but when we tried that $45 bottle (which I think was a 90 pointer too) my wife looks at me and says "wow, you can really tell the difference on a more expensive bottle." That whole point thing can be a scam but it helps sometimes.

all of us.... the winner is all of us BillsFanNC.

I have absolutely nothing against wine, so I agree. My point, and the point of this contest was to showcase how fine craft beer can compete with and exceed wine as a choice with a gourmet meal. Beer in fact has more complexity to offer to compliment a meal in my opinion.

Sometime ago Cincy got me onto: "Three Buck Chuck." @ Trader Joe's.

:thumbdown::rolleyes:

I guess that's inflation. A few years ago, I was introduced to Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's. Pretty good wine. But $3!?! Is it 33% better now? <_<

Not too many beer countries out there.

I agree with your basic point but there are some good beer "countries" out there and the list is not that much shorter than wine countries - where there is great difference is in the sub-regions associated with wine. If you take the list to that level no doubt that the quantity of top flight wine producing regions will blow away beer.

Here are what i believe to be top tier beer countries

Belgium

Germany

England

Ireland

Are arguably "top tier" beer countries lines up with top wine countries:

France

United States

Australia

Chile

Next tier beer countries

United States

Canada

Japan (lack craft beers - but their everyday stuff is very good)

Lines up with next tier wine countries:

Germany

Spain

Italy

Wine is fine but beer sometimes hits the spot. Burger and beer is very good. Baked fish with beer not so good. Fine dinning and wine go together. Pub food best with beer. I just like wine any time.

If you are talking macro lagers which most people think of as all 'beer' then the above is true, but if you account for all styles of beer then nothing can be further from the truth.