Shanahan met with Bills for 7 hours over 2 days

Yes I do... What is the salary of the highest paid coach in the NFL right now? Is it 10 million? Is it close to 10 million?

By going through the process and getting the offer Shanahan has now set his price for every other team in the league. "WELL Buffalo will pay me 10 million so if you want to talk the starting point is 10 million." Dan Synder and Jerry Jones have to be pissed.

Shannahan now has leverage and has driven his salary up by 3-4 million a year. 7 hours of talking worth 3-4 million a year to you?

You were wrong on several different fronts. The first being that Dallas has not, and probably will not fire their coach. Secondly, we're the only team shopping right now. He took the meeting because he is on the market. It would be silly for him not to.

Thridly, the report of 10 million per year stems from a crappy vic carruci article. I'm willing to bet they didn't talk money. They probably explained that "money is not an obstacle" or gave a bit on how Shanny will be getting paid more in Denver, but it makes no sense to talk money at this stage, when his agent isn't involved, and no other teams are on the market.

Lastly, if you think Shanny is netting 14 million next season you're probably not the most credible member on this board.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You were wrong on several different fronts. The first being that Dallas has not, and probably will not fire their coach. Secondly, we're the only team shopping right now. He took the meeting because he is on the market. It would be silly for him not to.

Thridly, the report of 10 million per year stems from a crappy vic carruci article. I'm willing to bet they didn't talk money. They probably explained that "money is not an obstacle" or gave a bit on how Shanny will be getting paid more in Denver, but it makes no sense to talk money at this stage, when his agent isn't involved, and no other teams are on the market.

Lastly, if you think Shanny is netting 14 million next season you're probably not the most credible member on this board.

I am sorry where did I say he is netting 14 million next season? Where did I say what he will make? I am saying that he took the meeting to generate an interest and LEVERAGE. I said that he and his agent can tell future positions that will come open whatever they want with regards to the meeting with Russ. I am saying he played his cards the way many of us interview for jobs when we are unemployed. You take every appointment even if you are not interested. Crappy article or not it is out there. And it gives Shannahan leverage.

And oh geez being called not credible on a football chat board really really hurt my feelings. I may cry. Jesus.

Yes I do... What is the salary of the highest paid coach in the NFL right now? Is it 10 million? Is it close to 10 million?

By going through the process and getting the offer Shanahan has now set his price for every other team in the league. "WELL Buffalo will pay me 10 million so if you want to talk the starting point is 10 million." Dan Synder and Jerry Jones have to be pissed.

Shannahan now has leverage and has driven his salary up by 3-4 million a year. 7 hours of talking worth 3-4 million a year to you?

Not close to $10 mill. Link 1 - coacheshotseat.com Link 2 - forbes.com

However, I think you have to ask yourself. If Belichick or Fisher hit the market, what would they command? I'd propose quite a bit more than their current salary of roughly $5mill/yr. Also, I think it important to remember that the numbers thrown out so far - $10mill/yr + partial ownership + - are pure speculation. So until Shanahan is hired and the actual numbers come out, I think it important to not get too drawn into the numbers. Other than to say, price does not seem to be an issue with Ralph.

"I was really impressed with Russ Brandon and everything he had to say. We're going to stay in touch and see what develops."

That means no. He isn't going to turn down 10mill per year in hand right now if he wasn't looking at other jobs. So we can strike him off the list. Unless others don't want him, we aren't getting him.

I absolutely disagree .... while I am obviously not a party to the discussions, this is not simply about the money. Shanahan has plenty enough to get through life. It would be easy to assume he is also considering how much room he will have to operate, how much money will be available for staff, how free agents might be handled, what the state of the franchise really is, etc. Not to mention, his wife may not want him working 70+ hours per week again.

I am sure he is thinking about the situation but at the end of the day if he does not have fire in his gut to do the job then the Bills do not need him.

I absolutely disagree .... while I am obviously not a party to the discussions, this is not simply about the money. Shanahan has plenty enough to get through life. It would be easy to assume he is also considering how much room he will have to operate, how much money will be available for staff, how free agents might be handled, what the state of the franchise really is, etc. Not to mention, his wife may not want him working 70+ hours per week again.

I am sure he is thinking about the situation but at the end of the day if he does not have fire in his gut to do the job then the Bills do not need him.

correct bb. let's dissect the rumor. shanny is offered $10m per seasona and ownership interest in a near-billion dollar franchise and declines after 7 hours of consideration?

the leverage angle is a bad one. he's one of a handful of coaches on the market that would appear to command a sizable contract to come back and coach----what leverage did he need beyond that? would it surprise the other 31 teams in the league that he would be in demand? assuming he was offered all that and a bag of chips, i guess i'd figure he wasn't the right guy if he turned it down.

in the end, i'd think it was a mistake to read too much into what happens over the next month or so. those that feel brandon is a rube who can't get it done are selling him a bit short. the business of football is an entirely different thing than the game of football. i'm hoping they see the sense of the marriage of business and the game for all we long suffering fans.

Yeah but this is a liiiiiitle bit different than selling Bills fans season tickets by signing TO :lol:

He's sold a lot of everything related to the Bills in his time here. He managed to sell Ralph on spending 10 million a year on a coach..impressive enough ;)

There was absolutely no chance Shanahan was agreeing to coach the Bills today. 1.) the rooney rule. 2.) Both MS and the Bills will explore all options before coming to an agreement. Do I think MS will end up with the Bills, probably not. But do I think that the fact he did not get hired today reduces the chances. No.

You are right on the money with this!!!

"....in the end, i'd think it was a mistake to read too much into what happens over the next month or so. those that feel brandon is a rube who can't get it done are selling him a bit short. the business of football is an entirely different thing than the game of football. i'm hoping they see the sense of the marriage of business and the game for all we long suffering fans."

Thank you. And I don't think Brandon is going anywhere. All the info I've read about him indicates that he is considered a rising star in the business/marketing end of the league. Actually I'm not sure how many football decisions he has really made. From my understanding, the GM position was going to be a "by committee" thing, with Modrak/Overdorf/Guy/Brandon making decisions as a group. Obviously it didn't work, so Ralph will bring in a football guy and Brandon will go back to concentrating exclusively on the marketing end. I would think that if anyone or any group of people should be worried about their jobs, it would be Modrak, Overdorf and Guy. Personally, if i were Ralph, I would question Modrak's committment, since he doesn't even live in the city. Maybe for a scout it's not really necessary, but I've always thought the arrangement was odd.