Weiss & Clauson

jahbonas

If the real top A-list guys dont commit...a Charlie Weiss could be available early with the college season ending soon.

Weiss being fired from ND is no reflection on his ability to coach - Urban Meyer turned down the ND job because he knew it was trying to win with 2 hands behind your back. Also Weiss' ND teams were lacking mostly on the defensive front 7...his offenses with Clauson produced. Weiss would find ways to get Lee Evans the football.

Weiss had success in the NFL at the highest levels - Ralph Wilson apparently likes him. Hiring a weiss at the $6mil range rather than 10mil could allow for paying a top football GM and assistants too.

ND did not have great success as a team this year = but their QB and head coach/OC did fine

Also the familiarity Weiss & Clauson have could allow Clauson to hit the ground running in a way most rookies can't. I'd like the fact that Weiss would know exactly what he'd be getting in Clauson if he decided to select him.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the real top A-list guys dont commit...a Charlie Weiss could be available early with the college season ending soon.

Weiss being fired from ND is no reflection on his ability to coach - Urban Meyer turned down the ND job because he knew it was trying to win with 2 hands behind your back. Also Weiss' ND teams were lacking mostly on the defensive front 7...his offenses with Clauson produced. Weiss would find ways to get Lee Evans the football.

Weiss had success in the NFL at the highest levels - Ralph Wilson apparently likes him. Hiring a weiss at the $6mil range rather than 10mil could allow for paying a top football GM and assistants too.

ND did not have great success as a team this year = but their QB and head coach/OC did fine

Also the familiarity Weiss & Clauson have could allow Clauson to hit the ground running in a way most rookies can't. I'd like the fact that Weiss would know exactly what he'd be getting in Clauson if he decided to select him.

Well sure, why not? He's had such success at Notre Dame - and gave the NFL Brady Quinn, to boot!

Hell, Cleveland had such success hiring former NE* coordinators Romeo Crennel, then Eric Mangini - I'd think Weis could surely be as successful as those two. :rolleyes:

Well sure, why not? He's had such success at Notre Dame - and gave the NFL Brady Quinn, to boot!

Hell, Cleveland had such success hiring former NE* coordinators Romeo Crennel, then Eric Mangini - I'd think Weis could surely be as successful as those two. :rolleyes:

Point taken...100% agree!

Why in the holy hell would the Bills want a HC/QB combo that could not win consistantly in freaking College? Even if it's (Weiss and Clausen) an OC/QB combo it's a stretch if you ask me...I just don't get some of the crap I read around here anymore...I really don't... :thumbsup:

If Weiss was any good as a head coach he'd be more successful at Notre Dame, and as such wouldnt be available to the Bills, because he wouldnt be getting his arse kicked off campus at the end of the season.

No reflection on his ability to coach???? HE COULDN'T BEAT NAVY!!!!!!! Now talk about a program that has two hands behind their back, that is NAVY!!!!!!!!!

If Weiss was any good as a head coach he'd be more successful at Notre Dame, and as such wouldnt be available to the Bills, because he wouldnt be getting his arse kicked off campus at the end of the season.

I'm not advocating for Weiss to be hired by the Bills (at all), but to say he's not a good coach because of what's gone on at Notre Dame is not entirely fair.

Notre Dame changed it's academic policies and shot its program in the head, not foot. Notre Dame can't recruit the best players because they can't get them through the admissions board. This is a policy that changed when Lou Holtz left (or perhaps in the last year of his tenure there).

No top HS players want to play for Notre Dame. Think about it. The best HS players in the country come from Florida, California, and Texas. Do those kids really want to travel to 1000 miles to South Bend where the girls aren't as hot as they are at UF, USC, UT (not to mention they're way smarter) only to play in a place where they won't have as much talent around them. Not to mention the campus is in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, Notre Dame has CBS TV rights. But they just can't compete with the packages USC, UF, Texas etc etc can offer.

The fact that Notre Dame gets the caliber players it does is astounding. They have lost every major recruiting battle the past decade to USC, UF and UT. And it's going to keep getting worse until Notre Dame goes back to letting athletes in.

If Shanahan was any good as a head coach he'b be more succssful at Denver, as as such wouldn't be available to the Bills, because he wouldn't be (have gotten) his arse kicked (out of Denver) at the end of (last) season.

I am not against Shanahan, just making the point that most coaches wore out their welcome somewhere...so you could plug any name into this scenario. The exception being Cowher, who said he doesn't want to make a decision till after the season., which when I decode that I end up with cheap old Ralph ramming the season tickets I just purchased up my arse because it was obviously a marketing ploy.

Breathe in, breathe out... I want a solution 6 months ago, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I don't think it's a train...

So coaching at ND is like "trying to win with 2 hands behind your back"? What nonsense. ND gets great recruits, has great facilities and tons of exposure and money. Yeah, they aren't USC, Florida or Texas. But otherwise nobody has it any better. Their academic standards are blamed, but we aren't talking about Stanford here, it's a catholic college not Ivy League.

Their problem is that they keep hiring bad head coaches. Which brings us to Weis. Nothing more than an OC, and an OC who apparently knew what his opponents were going to do by virtue of covert video taping of their signals. Real dubious character, IMO. It always struck me as odd that in Greggo's first season the Bills actually played the Pats really tough on both sides of the ball. Thereafter, it looked like the Pats knew exactly what the Bills were going to do on both sides of the ball. We assumed that was Belichick's genius, but offensively those Pats weren't loaded like these. Very curious.

if this actually happened, i would thank the Bills for letting me know right away to not bother watching the games anymore.

This.

Point taken...100% agree!

Why in the holy hell would the Bills want a HC/QB combo that could not win consistantly in freaking College? Even if it's Weiss and Clausen) an OC/QB combo it's a stretch if you ask me...I just don't get some of the crap I read around here anymore...I really don't... :lol:

And this.

And this.

Bills fans never learn. We just went through 4 years of a guy who had one good season. Now we want another one-season-wonder, and his hype QB too?

PTR

And this. PLEASE. GOD. NO.

p.s.--I guess the love affair between Notre Dame and the masses is alive and well in spite of the fact that they've sucked for so long.

Maybe (most likely not) I can bury this fascination with Charlie Weiss once and for all.

He's served as a coordinator for two Hall of Fame head coaches who control all aspects of the organization, Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. Remember that Ray Handley was the Super Bowl winning OC for Parcells. Either Parcells or Belichick could hire me or you as OC and still field an excellent team.

Weiss has been a positional coach for most of his coaching career.

Since coming to Notre Dame, his record is 35-26.

His first recruiting class in 2006 was a consensus top 10 class.

His 2007 recruits were consensus top 15.

His 2008 class was consensus top 2.

His 2009 recruiting class was consensus top 15.

This indicates that his team should be at very least a top 15 team. Especially seeing as he crowed about having a "schematic advantage" against opponents due to his experience as an NFL coordinator.

In 2005 (with Ty Willingham's recruits) Notre Dame finished ranked 9th.

In 2006 Notre Dame finished ranked 17th.

In 2007 Notre Dame finished unranked.

In 2008 Notre Dame finished unranked.

In 2009, Notre Dame is 6-5 and will probably finish unranked for the 3rd consecutive season.

In spite of improved talent, Weiss' Notre Dame team has gotten worse in each year of his tenure. Charlie Weiss is a mediocrity.

here's the simple reason I think Claussen will be very good - I keep wanting him to fail and be lousy each week, yet I can't help coming away impressed by the way he plays. He reminds me quite a bit of Matt Ryan.

bring in Golden Tate too - not sure where he's projected to go though