Was watching ESPN earlier..what was so special

BeastMode54

Sure he was small. But he didn't lead his team back from 4 Td's down or anything miraculous like that. He just threw a ball as far as he could and the WR caught it. I've seen that a number of times. Kordell Stewart against Michigan comes to mind, but no one does a piece on that throw. What makes Flutie's so special. I say nothing, but I'm interested in others opinions

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That throw came in the middle of Flutie Mania and thrust him even deeper into the national spotlight. I believe the game was on nationwide, so everybody was watching. Not to mention the fact that it capped an amazing game.

ok, right. but why do we still talk about it, let alone have a piece done about it on ESPN. He didn't even play regularly in the NFL until the twilight of his career. I just don't get it. A prayer in the dark throw makes him a legend? I don't get it

Sure he was small. But he didn't lead his team back from 4 Td's down or anything miraculous like that. He just threw a ball as far as he could and the WR caught it. I've seen that a number of times. Kordell Stewart against Michigan comes to mind, but no one does a piece on that throw. What makes Flutie's so special. I say nothing, but I'm interested in others opinions

beat the vaunted canes

It's also because Boston College was at the time mainly a school for locals and commuters (think of a slightly larger Canisius College) and they were playing Miami. The game really led to a change in the nature of BC which went on to become the school you know today.

It's also because Boston College was at the time mainly a school for locals and commuters (think of a slightly larger Canisius College) and they were playing Miami. The game really led to a change in the nature of BC which went on to become the school you know today.

I think Flutie was helping change the nature of BC even before that game, but the Hail Mary helped enhance it. Plus, Miami was the defending national champ and (I think) ranked #1 at the time.

E$PN was parlaying this as how the Hail Mary changed how college football was covered/televised. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but we certainly have several Friday-after-Thanksgiving games now. I remember watching most of the game and wanting Miami to lose. The stunning ending is what I'll always remember.

Lots of reasons:

Miami was the defending nat'l champion, and even though they were not having a great season after dropping some close games, where considered among the new royalty of college football and were still ranked in the top 15.

BC was having a great season -- best in school history. They were in the top 10 and I believe finished the year 10-2 or thereabouts.

Flutie was not a one game wonder -- he left BC as the all time passing leader in college football history and was already the front runner for the Heisman.

The game was nationally televised over Thanksgiving weekend, had a huge audience and the game itself was incredible; easily one of the 5 best college football games ever. Flutie and Koser were both unstoppable, throwing for over 900 yards between them.

Miami scored the apparent winning TD with less than a minute to go. Flutie got the ball on his own 20 with 28 seconds to go. Just getting to the 50 to set up the Hail Mary was impressive.

The play itself. How many big-game winning Haily Mary's can you remember in your life? I can remember 3: this one, Kordell/Westbrook and Staubach/Person.

This play is the anti-Wide Right. It has always lived up to the hype.

Lots of reasons:

Miami was the defending nat'l champion, and even though they were not having a great season after dropping some close games, where considered among the new royalty of college football and were still ranked in the top 15.

BC was having a great season -- best in school history. They were in the top 10 and I believe finished the year 10-2 or thereabouts.

Flutie was not a one game wonder -- he left BC as the all time passing leader in college football history and was already the front runner for the Heisman.

The game was nationally televised over Thanksgiving weekend, had a huge audience and the game itself was incredible; easily one of the 5 best college football games ever. Flutie and Koser were both unstoppable, throwing for over 900 yards between them.

Miami scored the apparent winning TD with less than a minute to go. Flutie got the ball on his own 20 with 28 seconds to go. Just getting to the 50 to set up the Hail Mary was impressive.

The play itself. How many big-game winning Haily Mary's can you remember in your life? I can remember 3: this one, Kordell/Westbrook and Staubach/Person.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Im with you BM54. I like DF for a very short time when he was with the Bills then realized quickly what an egotistical POS he is. I dont get anything the guy has done really. Some say he saved the bills franchise from moving when we couldnt sell out tickets. It was just more of the crap we deal with today. Ralph saying he cant keep a team here and make money. Its a scheme to make money or he would have left years ago. It all comes down to Ralph holding the fans hostage by making comments like he will move the team.

Doug never did anything fantastic. Throws like that one are made all the time and we dont get that excited over them. I guess if you factor in that hes a midget, it was BC, and they were playing agaisnt the Miami powerhouse its something to rewind the DVR over, but not much more then that.

My opinion might be tainted because I actually hate him as a person, but thats my take.

Lots of reasons:And for all the talk of his weak arm. The ball travels almost 65 yds in the air. If you saw the game live you would understand.

How many big-game winning Haily Mary's can you remember in your life? I can remember 3: this one, Kordell/Westbrook and Staubach/Person.

Don't forget Joe Ferguson's last second hail mary pass to Roland Hooks in the early 80's.

He's the MAGIC FLUTE. This play served as further evidence as to why everyone must pay homage to THE MAGIC FLUTE. Greatest... QB... Ever.

Did you even see the whole game?? It was simply a great game with a great finish.

Go stick your nose back in Jason Peter's a$$--and think of something more bright to say before you next surface for air.

And for all the talk of his weak arm the ball travels almost 65 yrds on a rope. If you saw the whole game live, you would understand. It was a fantastic game start to amazing finish.

Several people have posted specifics about Miami v. BC. All I remember was...I watched it ...remember it like it was yesterday and couldn't help but jump off my couch at the time. To be in Buffalo watching a horrible Bills team all season you could only hope that they would "Draft Doug Flutie" as the buttons everyone wore said.

The guy was short. The guy is an ass. The guy wins.