Wood

bills_red

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he will not "have his leg set and casted" - please, stop it with the Marcus Welby wannabe medical opinions. This will involve a surgery called "open reduction & internal fixation", which is invasive and will involve correcting any displacement & inserting hardware and possible bone graft.

"Setting it" and "casting it" is for an 8 yrd old who falls off his bike and breaks his arm, for example. The Wood injury was violently horrific.

from a Dr on another fourm

more from him.

If they have to do that what is the down side? What if it isn't settable? etc. etc.

Wood is having surgery to re-set the bones. He’s expected back in Buffalo on Monday.

no, not from Dr. Andrews - his specialty is soft tissue injuries...he does all the pro athletes blown shoulders/knees

My guess at this point is they'll get the best one in the area and then have him follow up with the team orthopedist and then possibly someone like Doctor Andrews to get recommendations on treatment and recovery.

I'm not watching that...saw it on replay. Without gruesome details, was it his leg or knee? I just can't see that again.

I saw it live...once. I refused to back up the TiVO to see it again. I remember saying to my wife as it happened, "OMG, he just had his ankle snapped in half or just completely shredded his knee." I felt a lump in the pit of my stomach. I knew it was serious but just couldn't watch it again. Partly because of the thought of who we'd just lost but mostly because of how horrific it looked the first time I saw it in real speed. The cart, the air splint, and the look on Wood's face confirmed for me that I didn't need to watch it again. I can't watch it slowed down. Good luck to you in your recovery, Eric, and get well soon. This is the biggest suck in a completely sucky season.

Can you post a video clip of the George Wilson INT by any chance? If you can start a new thread for it.... such a hilarious play. Anyone knwo what I am talkin about? I laughed for ten mins.

What am I missing. I just watched it and am not seeing what is so funny....

guys, while not downplaying the severity of his injury, i'm pretty sure fractures are less serious/career ending than blown ligaments/knees. Junior Seau's arm looked like that a couple years ago and he played again the next year. If it is a fracture, and no veins were disrupted (serious blood loss etc) I wouldnt be surprised to see him play again next year.

Correct me if im wrong, but arent bone breaks more easily treated than blown knees?

hey, i can't believe someone on here is actually not a complete retard. bone breaks are much easier to come back from than knee or ligament injuries. he has a broken fibula and tibia. he will be back mid-season at the latest next year. i will go as far as to say he could be working out in 3 months.

Allen Wilson at the Buffalo News is reporting a compound fracture and no timetable on his return to Buffalo. Not good, certainly. Early on the News site he said it "looked" like it but this story has a 9:27 p.m. time stampo on it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/870526.html

He is supposed to return to buffalo monday and probably be put on IR

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/11/22/w...having-surgery/

Leon Washington of the Jets had a compound fracture of the tibia/fibula against the Raiders on 10-25, including having the bloody stump poking out, teammates on the verge of hurling, etc...this is a pretty recent article that details his progress:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...e7J5eqy_CWXiHKg

It doesn't sound so bad (easy for me to say); in a nutshell, he says the risk of infection is the most serious obstacle, and at just less than one month, he is just about past that being an issue. And he was told he faces a 6-12 month rehab, with the six month target being very possible if he works his tail off.

Hopefully, Bad Santa will bring The Kid a Christmas present....being able to take a shower on Christmas morning.

My guess at this point is they'll get the best one in the area and then have him follow up with the team orthopedist and then possibly someone like Doctor Andrews to get recommendations on treatment and recovery.

There are some excellent Orthopaedic Surgeons in Jacksonvillle, including several at the Mayo Clinic. I'm not sure where he is but I'm sure he has access to excellent care.

Why couldn't it have happened to Levitre... wood was longterm, who knows now.

Whose available in FA?

In all the years I've been coming here I've read some pretty stupid things but this wins hands down. Dude wtf is the wrong with you?

I suppose somewhere tonight somebody will die in a fire or car accident. I hope nobody writes "Damn, why couldn't that have been Erie_Bills"?

More likely, no one will ever write anything about you because you're a freaking nobody.

hey, i can't believe someone on here is actually not a complete retard. bone breaks are much easier to come back from than knee or ligament injuries. he has a broken fibula and tibia. he will be back mid-season at the latest next year. i will go as far as to say he could be working out in 3 months.

Gee, thanks Doc. And to think all those years of med school went for **** and I'm still a retard.

Say, if I'm having any trouble with any cases in the future can I give you a ring for a consult?

no, not from Dr. Andrews - his specialty is soft tissue injuries...he does all the pro athletes blown shoulders/knees

I know Andrews is the soft tissue guy. what I said was, he'll see a guy like Andrews to get his options and opinion. Off the top of my head I don't know the name of the bone guys.

I don't want to read too much into this report from Chris Brown BUT:

Bills OL Eric Wood has a fractured tibia and fibula and is staying in Jacksonville tonight.

Wood is having surgery to re-set the bones. He’s expected back in Buffalo on Monday.

With six weeks left in the season its likely that Wood’s injury is season ending. We’ll get the official update Monday at Perry Fewell’s wrap up press conference.

Two things stick out at me if that report is accurate.

1. He's having the bones re-set and there is no mention of pins or rods.

2. If he's flying back tomorrow, I'm assuming it's not going to be a major reconstructive surgery. If it was he'd likely be in the hospital for a few days.

Let's keep hoping!