Peter King on WGR

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills are intent on going 3-4, I'd try to sign a FA NT (although if there's no new CBA, players will need at least 6 years in the NFL before they become UFA's). If that doesn't work, I'd go NT with the 1st round pick. Move Stroud and Williams to DE. Move Schobel and Maybin to LB. Find 2 ILB's. Denney and Kelsay can be backups or if they save enough money, cuts.

The qualities you look for in a Head Coach, in my opinion, are not learned as a coordinator. They are ONLY learned as a Head Coach. The guy with the entire team to manage, the guy with the FINAL say, the guy with the most to lose and the most pressure and the most media face time, is the Head Coach. Coordinators, even great ones, just don't have the COMPLETE resume to look at, IMO, and therefore are HUGE risks.

So when you compare guys who have been perennial Coordinators to guys who succeeded as Head Coaches, even at the NCAA level, yes, my vote will go to the Head Coach.

It was crazy to me how Jauron wanted to run a 4-3 in our division. I agree the 3-4 is much better, but it requires SIZE. You need to have a big nose tackle and linebackers who can really get a push on the O-line. The Bills as a franchise had a lot of success running it back in the day of Ted Cottrell.

Biggest reason I think a 3-4 is necessary is so you can move Maybin outside to be a blitzing line backer.

If I hear this again, I think I'm going to snap.

What in the world makes anyone think that Maybin can plan OLB in a 3-4? His primary responsibility would be to rush the QB against the opposing tackles. The exact same thing that he is failing at now. Maybe in a 3-4 he would occasionally face a RB or TE instead, but in exchange for this he would have to cover TEs and RBs once in a while too and I am skeptical of his ability to do this.

The qualities you look for in a Head Coach, in my opinion, are not learned as a coordinator. They are ONLY learned as a Head Coach. The guy with the entire team to manage, the guy with the FINAL say, the guy with the most to lose and the most pressure and the most media face time, is the Head Coach. Coordinators, even great ones, just don't have the COMPLETE resume to look at, IMO, and therefore are HUGE risks.

So when you compare guys who have been perennial Coordinators to guys who succeeded as Head Coaches, even at the NCAA level, yes, my vote will go to the Head Coach.

I have disagreed with you more times that I care to count, but you are spot on as far as this goes- great coordinators don't necessarily make good head coaches and great head coaches don't always make good coordinators. Completely different skill set

Has any 3-4 enthusiast figured how Schobel and Denney will fit in 3-4?

Yes. Cut them both, and they will fit perfectly. Schobel is overplayed and Denney is a career journeyman that has only had the fortune of playing a lot because of the team he is on.