Gruden

BADOLBILZ

Gruden is a guy that can do more with less. Specifically with regard to the QB position. He turned Rich Gannon from a journeyman QB into an MVP. He won a SB with Brad Johnson. He made the playoffs in Tampa with nobodies at QB. A head coach who can win without a great QB, and make mediorcre QB's play like good ones, is invaluable(if not for the tuck play in NE maybe he wins a SB in the AFC as well).

He runs the ball. He's passionate and blue collar fans can relate to that(Shanahan, not so much). He's still young and energetic, which statistically has proven important when hiring HC's. He has that advantage over all the other big names. Who knows if he'd even consider the position, but he's clearly the right guy for this job.

Gruden is a guy that can do more with less. Specifically with regard to the QB position. He turned Rich Gannon from a journeyman QB into an MVP. He won a SB with Brad Johnson. He made the playoffs in Tampa with nobodies at QB. A head coach who can win without a great QB, and make mediorcre QB's play like good ones, is invaluable(if not for the tuck play in NE maybe he wins a SB in the AFC as well).

He runs the ball. He's passionate and blue collar fans can relate to that(Shanahan, not so much). He's still young and energetic, which statistically has proven important when hiring HC's. He has that advantage over all the other big names. Who knows if he'd even consider the position, but he's clearly the right guy for this job.

A friend here at work told me Gruden just signed a tv contract with someone. So I assume he's out because of that.

Guest dog14787

Jon Gruden has basically taken himself out of contention by extending his contract already with MNF.

A friend here at work told me Gruden just signed a tv contract with someone. So I assume he's out because of that.

Yeah, he signed an extension but people walk away from those deals to return to the league all the time. I think he probably sees that he has a chance to get mega-rich following in John Madden's shoes, but if he really loves coaching he will be back.

You clearly know nothing of Gruden other than myths and chucky doll stuff...he went to TB, won a SB in his first year with essential Dungy's team that was already one of the bigger SB favorites that year, then he didnt make the playoffs in his second season and had only back to back winning seasons ONCE in the next 6 years and in only one of those winning seasons he made the playoffs.

His draft history was horrid, his management of QB's is worst than the Bills, and by far most importantly he literally lost the trust of his team and locker room who no longer belived they could win with him which is why he was fired.

Would he better than DJ, of course, but there are far better options out there than Gruden (who just signed a long extension with MNF by the way, so he isnt coaching anyone next year).

You clearly know nothing of Gruden other than myths and chucky doll stuff...he went to TB, won a SB in his first year with essential Dungy's team that was already one of the bigger SB favorites that year, then he didnt make the playoffs in his second season and had only back to back winning seasons ONCE in the next 6 years and in only one of those winning seasons he made the playoffs.

His draft history was horrid, his management of QB's is worst than the Bills, and by far most importantly he literally lost the trust of his team and locker room who no longer belived they could win with him which is why he was fired.

Would he better than DJ, of course, but there are far better options out there than Gruden (who just signed a long extension with MNF by the way, so he isnt coaching anyone next year).

I was in Tampa visiting family when Chucky got the axe. It was a celebration similar to ours this week. He was just absolutely hated by all. Even his character was attacked, which is more than DJ got.

I think he has found a nice cushy and lucrative gig on MNF. He's good at it and would be crazy to let it go.

Gruden inherited a team that Dunghy built and won the Super Bowl. After that each year the team dropped lower and lower. Prove to me that he built a team!

Finally a bit of wisdom among all the craziness. Chucky was an absolute disaster in Tampa.

Yeah, he signed an extension but people walk away from those deals to return to the league all the time. I think he probably sees that he has a chance to get mega-rich following in John Madden's shoes, but if he really loves coaching he will be back.

Except that this deal is repordidly for around what he would get if he took a job as a Head coach, and he has less work being on ESPN. He isn't coming back to coaching with this deal, that was the whole point of ESPN making this deal, I wouldn't be surprised to find out there is a penalty for leaving it early

Gruden's teams also are a disaster when he leaves them, because he builds for the right now every year and has a terrible record of developing young players, wanting veterans instead of rookies at every turn. At some point that catches up to you and look how the Raiders and Buccaneers have fared in the seasons since he has left with the mess he left behind...

He is like a good chef in the kitchen at night that leaves the kitchen looking like a disaster for the breakfast crew the next morning. Eventually no matter how good he is at cooking dinner, he is gonna get fired for leaving the place a disaster...

Gruden's teams also are a disaster when he leaves them, because he builds for the right now every year and has a terrible record of developing young players, wanting veterans instead of rookies at every turn. At some point that catches up to you and look how the Raiders and Buccaneers have fared in the seasons since he has left with the mess he left behind...

He is like a good chef in the kitchen at night that leaves the kitchen looking like a disaster for the breakfast crew the next morning. Eventually no matter how good he is at cooking dinner, he is gonna get fired for leaving the place a disaster...

The crap is getting pretty deep, now. Just because Raheem Morris can add a Kellen Winslow to virtually the same team Gruden nearly took to the playoffs last season, and barely WIN A SINGLE GAME....Gruden must have trashed the team. If the fans of Tampa were celebrating his departure, they are getting what they deserved. Truth is, he won with less, and when he left, his successors could not.

He was a demanding disciplinarian and players tend to love when those guys get replaced. See Parcells in Dallas and Reeves in Denver. Thank goodness for Wade! As much as those players come to resent Grudens' style and loved Dungy, they will all admit they wouldn't have won a SB without Gruden. Seriously, those Bucs were a whisker away from the playoffs last season and I thought their fans were going to rush the field a week back when they beat GB. Damn, how their expectations have fallen. Wait till they get a load of 5-7 years without sniffing the playoffs, then they will be begging for an encore.

As for the guy wanting veterans in the lineup, no more than "the Brown collector" Mike Shanahan who basically had a defense filled with retreads from the time he was actually winning SB's until the last few years when the WCO began showing diminishing returns around the league. In all fairness, the Broncos had been competitive the past 10 years mainly because their borderline dirty cut blocking system creates a running game, which always gives you opportunities to win. I'd love to see the Bills employing that tactic, but I don't think it's realistic that the Bills will be able to assemble an Elway/TD/Zimmerman type combo on their offense anytime soon.

Let me repeat....Gruden won a super bowl with Brad Johnson at QB. Michael Pittman at RB. Kenyatta Walker as a starting tackle. Yeah, Dungy was there first. But they were headed the other direction at that point with Dungy which is why he was fired and the team traded two #1 picks for Gruden.

Bum Phillips once said that what made Don Shula so great that he could take his team and beat yours, or your team and beat his. That is EXACTLY what Gruden did, and had he been coaching the Raiders in that SB against Dungy, Tampa would still have never won a SB.

The crap is getting pretty deep, now. Just because Raheem Morris can add a Kellen Winslow to virtually the same team Gruden nearly took to the playoffs last season, and barely WIN A SINGLE GAME....Gruden must have trashed the team. If the fans of Tampa were celebrating his departure, they are getting what they deserved. Truth is, he won with less, and when he left, his successors could not.

He was a demanding disciplinarian and players tend to love when those guys get replaced. See Parcells in Dallas and Reeves in Denver. Thank goodness for Wade! As much as those players come to resent Grudens' style and loved Dungy, they will all admit they wouldn't have won a SB without Gruden. Seriously, those Bucs were a whisker away from the playoffs last season and I thought their fans were going to rush the field a week back when they beat GB. Damn, how their expectations have fallen. Wait till they get a load of 5-7 years without sniffing the playoffs, then they will be begging for an encore.

As for the guy wanting veterans in the lineup, no more than "the Brown collector" Mike Shanahan who basically had a defense filled with retreads from the time he was actually winning SB's until the last few years when the WCO began showing diminishing returns around the league. In all fairness, the Broncos had been competitive the past 10 years mainly because their borderline dirty cut blocking system creates a running game, which always gives you opportunities to win. I'd love to see the Bills employing that tactic, but I don't think it's realistic that the Bills will be able to assemble an Elway/TD/Zimmerman type combo on their offense anytime soon.

Let me repeat....Gruden won a super bowl with Brad Johnson at QB. Michael Pittman at RB. Kenyatta Walker as a starting tackle. Yeah, Dungy was there first. But they were headed the other direction at that point with Dungy which is why he was fired and the team traded two #1 picks for Gruden.

Bum Phillips once said that what made Don Shula so great that he could take his team and beat yours, or your team and beat his. That is EXACTLY what Gruden did, and had he been coaching the Raiders in that SB against Dungy, Tampa would still have never won a SB.

So true...TBs amazing fall this year of course doesn't register in the minds of those who hate Gruden.And the best one is 'he won with Dungys team'...cough. Yeah he won the SB when Dungy couldn't.

I watched him very closely--being in the bay area at the same time he coached the raiders. He did a great job with the Raiders.

Gruden inherited a team that Dunghy built and won the Super Bowl. After that each year the team dropped lower and lower. Prove to me that he built a team!

The Raiders. Before Gruden, they were the Raiders of today. Not even debatable. In fact, extra points for degree of difficulty.

And yeah, he inherited Dungy's OLD team. That team was on their last breath which is why they gave up on Dungy in favor of a great coach. Dungy is not a finisher and while he deserves credit for certain, Rich McKay deserves just as much if not more for his draft work building that defense.

In Indy, Dungy had the best QB in the NFL and the best GM sustaining him for nearly a decade and barely eeked out one, uninspired SB victory over Lovie Smith. What's next....Jim Caldwell going 16-0 the first season without Dungy? Caldwell got fired at Wake Forest university and he's doing just as well as Dungy. Face it, Dungy was blessed with a lot of talent, not unlike one Marv Levy. If Marv had 5 or 6 more SB talented teams he might have won one too.

Gruden is a better coach than Jauron. But he isn't bullet proof, or anywhere near as good as shanihan, cowher, or holgrem. I watched Gruden for many years down year. The guy is a decent coach, but if you want him to produce a good QB you are **** out of luck. The guy juggles QBs like apples and each of them are a one trick pony.