Why start Fitzpatrick?

Why would Fewell start Fitzpatrick? don't tell me it's give them the best chance to win? Plus He is not the future, nor will he bring back this teams to the playoffs? I hope Fewell doesn't think this head coach gig is anything but temporary? Does this move seal the fate of Trent as the starting QB? Or was that dye cast weeks if not months ago when they blew up the o-line or turfed Turk? The only coach that I can see thaty doesn't need to put a for sale sign on their front lawn is Bobby April. Time to call information and get Shanahan's number and give him a call, before Washington, Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Oakland beat's Ralph to the punch. :doh:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Fewell start Fitzpatrick?

As a defensive Coordinator, he wants a QB that can get some first downs consistantly and will keep the offense on the field as long as possible.

don't tell me it's give them the best chance to win?

It's the best chance to win, which is a very sad statement

Plus He is not the future, nor will he bring back this teams to the playoffs?

No, he is not the future. He is a backup QB at best.

I hope Fewell doesn't think this head coach gig is anything but temporary?

What difference does that make?

Does this move seal the fate of Trent as the starting QB?

Come on man...

Why would Fewell start Fitzpatrick?

As a defensive Coordinator, he wants a QB that can get some first downs consistantly and will keep the offense on the field as long as possible.

don't tell me it's give them the best chance to win?

It's the best chance to win, which is a very sad statement

Plus He is not the future, nor will he bring back this teams to the playoffs?

No, he is not the future. He is a backup QB at best.

I hope Fewell doesn't think this head coach gig is anything but temporary?

What difference does that make?

Does this move seal the fate of Trent as the starting QB?

Come on man...

Disagree. Edwards still looks better than Fitzpatrick. Fitz was absolutely horrible in his starts. So all in all not better chance to win.

Yes, this absolutely means they are turning the page on Trent Edwards.

Fitz is not the greatest, but he is pretty good at ball security. He seems to be more capable at reading defenses downfield and he has more experience in general. Can buy himself that extra split second in the pocket. Most of all, the guys like him and respect him as a leader.

Disagree. Edwards still looks better than Fitzpatrick. Fitz was absolutely horrible in his starts. So all in all not better chance to win.

It's close that's for sure, but not that much difference. I think the coaches believe they can implement a better game plan with a QB that won't check down as much. And he is 1-1, or does he get the win against the Jets as well?

How many of the check downs are the result of our QB getting his a$$ kicked behind one of the weakest lines in the NFL?

Would you guys rather that he throw it up for grabs so that you can complain about INTs?

As an aside, it is clear to me that Evans and Owens have decided to blame TE. I think that with Evans, part of it is personal given his relationship with JP. As for Owens, I had been a defender until I saw that he made absolutely no effort on the pass thrown to him immediately before the pick six. There is clearly something going on with him. He is a great player, but he does have a lot of dropped balls and chooses plays to take off.

In the end, I am on record regarding our line. I think Trent can be a very good QB in this league. I have no vested interest in him per se, I just want my team to succeed in this league. Unless and until the Bills stop kidding themselves about our piss poor line, it does not make any difference who our QB and other skill players are.

You start him because you've decided that a) RF is going to be your long term backup and part of the team's future, and b) Edwards is essentially done in Buffalo. If that's what they've actually decided, it makes sense to me. The players all seem thrilled about it, which suggests to me that Edwards isn't all that enthused about being an NFL player.

Guest dog14787

You fellas want to know the real reason why TE is benched and this is stemming from someone notorious for buddying up with players on the defensive side of the ball, probably because the offense can't stand him.

T.O.'s main reason for Fitz to start,

“I think Ryan, number one he is a veteran,” said Terrell Owens. “He has a lot more experience. (WTF, thats totally false)

To make a long story short T.O. then goes on to explain in his opinion the starting QB position was Fitzpatricks to lose based on his 2-1 start. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly what Fitzpatrick did against the Texans, lose his starting position.

Terrell Owens is trying to pave the way for Michael Vick to come into Buffalo and even willing to lie about it.

The S.O.B. strikes again. :doh:

The decision also tells me Fewell should not be in charge of this ball club, it should have been Bobby April :lol:

So another QB gets thrown under the bus by T.O...

You fellas want to know the real reason why TE is benched and this is stemming from someone notorious for buddying up with players on the defensive side of the ball, probably because the offense can't stand him.

“I think Ryan, number one he is a veteran,” said Terrell Owens. “He has a lot more experience. (WTF, thats totally false)

To make a long story short T.O. then goes on to explain in his opinion the starting QB position was Fitzpatricks to lose based on his 2-1 start. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly what Fitzpatrick did against the Texans, lose his starting position.

Terrell Owens is trying to pave the way for Michael Vick to come into Buffalo and even willing to lie about it.

The decision also tells me Fewell should not be in charge of this ball club, it should have been Bobby April :lol:

I think you and Peter are correct on this one. I too believe that TO has been undermining TE, not openly in pressers of course (that might cost him and Drew R money on his next contract) but in his interactions with other players, Reed and Evans notably, but also guys on the other side of the ball i.e. Wittner. For better or for worse, TO is a very heavy dude with tremendous presence, credibility and influence especially with younger players. He is a first ballot HOF with a very strong personality. Younger or less strong willed teamates will tend to follow him, and endorse his views and attitudes.

I can sort of understand TO's "frustration" with Trent (though he has ben less than perfect himself). I think we all share those frustrations. But in the end the fear that many observers, in Buff and elsewhere, had that TO might contribute to destroying a young QB have sort of come true. Recruiting TO was a briliant marketing ploy, but ultimately a dumb football move.

In spite of his obvious difficulties, TE is much better as a current prospect for a starting job. RF has exactly zero upside and his current capabilities are extremely limited.

It is possible, and I hope, that Fewell is simply starting RF to give TE a breather while he gets better control of the situation, meaning of TO. Starting TE after the Josh Reed/TO sideline hysterics last Sunday could be a bit more than he can deal with right now- but maybe not against the jets. We will see.

How many of the check downs are the result of our QB getting his a$$ kicked behind one of the weakest lines in the NFL?

Would you guys rather that he throw it up for grabs so that you can complain about INTs?

As an aside, it is clear to me that Evans and Owens have decided to blame TE. I think that with Evans, part of it is personal given his relationship with JP. As for Owens, I had been a defender until I saw that he made absolutely no effort on the pass thrown to him immediately before the pick six. There is clearly something going on with him. He is a great player, but he does have a lot of dropped balls and chooses plays to take off.

In the end, I am on record regarding our line. I think Trent can be a very good QB in this league. I have no vested interest in him per se, I just want my team to succeed in this league. Unless and until the Bills stop kidding themselves about our piss poor line, it does not make any difference who our QB and other skill players are.

I agree that the line is part of the problem. But this is why Fitz is starting...

You mentioned the play in the 4th qt. when T.O. made no effort to catch that pass before the pick 6. I said to myself they have given up on Trent. When a WR does that to a QB you have to sit him down. Either you bench Trent or T.O.

If you were coach who would you bench?

Juaron did the right thing pulling Trent because it is clear that the team wont play for him. Did you see the movie Any Given Sunday? Same fuggin thing has happened here. When your team does not have faith in a QB they wont play full steam for him, plain and simple.

Trent is toast here...... he cant stay healthy and I doubt the Bills will start him after this unless Fitz gets hurt. Trent has the tools but he is like Bledsoe, he needs a top notch line to be max effective.

Look at Rodgers in Green Bay, does he have a great line...no but he still makes plays. Trent will never be like that so lets look for somebody else.

I'll give one thing which told me a LOT about the faith they lack in Trent... Having Fred Jackson throw the 27 yard pass to Evans. Wildcat is a gimick - the QB should be throwing those, but Trent doesn't seem capable. How many QB's has this franchise churned up w/ showing zero confidence in them and yanking them after only a few bad games?

QB's after Kelly (from memory - I may have missed 1 or 2):

Todd Collins

Alex Van Pelt

Rob Johnson

Doug Flutie

Drew Bledsoe

JP Losman

Trent Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Outside of Bledsoe - did any of them really ever seem to have the confidence of the coaching staff? They were all starting while looking over their shoulder.

Guest dog14787
I think you and Peter are correct on this one. I too believe that TO has been undermining TE, not openly in pressers of course (that might cost him and Drew R money on his next contract) but in his interactions with other players, Reed and Evans notably, but also guys on the other side of the ball i.e. Wittner. For better or for worse, TO is a very heavy dude with tremendous presence, credibility and influence especially with younger players. He is a first ballot HOF with a very strong personality. Younger or less strong willed teamates will tend to follow him, and endorse his views and attitudes.

I can sort of understand TO's "frustration" with Trent (though he has ben less than perfect himself). I think we all share those frustrations. But in the end the fear that many observers, in Buff and elsewhere, had that TO might contribute to destroying a young QB have sort of come true. Recruiting TO was a briliant marketing ploy, but ultimately a dumb football move.

In spite of his obvious difficulties, TE is much better as a current prospect for a starting job. RF has exactly zero upside and his current capabilities are extremely limited.

It is possible, and I hope, that Fewell is simply starting RF to give TE a breather while he gets better control of the situation, meaning of TO. Starting TE after the Josh Reed/TO sideline hysterics last Sunday could be a bit more than he can deal with right now- but maybe not against the jets. We will see.

Trent Edwards separates himself from the crowd in the respect that he is not going to buddy up with one person over anyone else for the sake of all, something a good leader does sometimes. With the help of T.O. this was TE's demise. I sensed hostilities starting with RW's hall of fame induction and from then on relations went down hill. I suspect T.O. took it personally that TE was not extending the welcome carpet in his direction.

All speculation on my part of course and I realize I'm not able to judge someones character completely without knowing them personally, but its fair to say T.O.'s reputation proceeds him and so does his poor character.

You start him because you've decided that a) RF is going to be your long term backup and part of the team's future, and b) Edwards is essentially done in Buffalo. If that's what they've actually decided, it makes sense to me. The players all seem thrilled about it, which suggests to me that Edwards isn't all that enthused about being an NFL player.

The players "all seem thrilled" about Fitz starting??? Do they not recall his last start?

Link please.

Actually, no it's not. Fitz may have not started as many games as TE, but Fitz has been in the league since 2005. He's got a full 2 years on TE.

Debatable.

TE was cleared to play. Jauron chose TE.

Maybe DJ decided to start TE because he was afraid of another QB "controversy" from starting again.

Unless you can back this claim up, this has to be one of the most absurd statements I have ever read.

Owens is on a one year contract, and will be gone after this season.

Bringing Vick to Buffalo serves no purpose for Owens.

Pin it all you want on TO, but at some point you will need to face the truth:

The players have lost confidence in Edwards, if they even had any.

Remember, it was revealed during the preseason not a single Bills player would say Trent Edwards was the leader of the team.

I know you like to think TE was some kind of natural born leader, but the people who know him better than we do disagree with you.

The players "all seem thrilled" about Fitz starting??? Do they not recall his last start?

Link please.

Maybe he was referring to this?

Linky

Fitzpatrick’s numbers certainly don’t impress on the stat sheet with a completion percentage under 50 percent with two touchdowns against four interceptions, but his teammates seem to only care about the fact that he won when he was under center.

I am sure they do remember Fitz's last start.

And I am sure they remember some of Trent's "memorable" games also.

Reference:

Cleveland x2

Dallas

etc ...

Let's get one thing straight..... Fewell is auditioning for his next gig after this season. So, naturally he's gonna pull out the stops and try to get wins. He ain't a head coach (or even a DC), however, the title looks good on a resume. perhaps he can be a DB coach in Detroit next season... or even in Oakland. Or, maybe some division I school will be dumb enough to do what Syracuse did a few years ago (Greg Robinson) and hire him as thei HC.

Trent Edwards separates himself from the crowd in the respect that he is not going to buddy up with one person over anyone else for the sake of all, something a good leader does sometimes. With the help of T.O. this was TE's demise. I sensed hostilities starting with RW's hall of fame induction and from then on relations went down hill. I suspect T.O. took it personally that TE was not extending the welcome carpet in his direction.

All speculation on my part of course and I realize I'm not able to judge someones character completely without knowing them personally, but its fair to say T.O.'s reputation proceeds him and so does his poor character.

My view is that TO is almost certainly not a bad person. In many respects he is probably a good guy. Many of his teamates wherever he has played like and respect him personally. But TO is not a tolerant man. In particular, he has not been able to accomplish all that he has as a player being tolerant of mediocrity, either with reference to his own performance as well as that of his teammates. And the truth is, for any number of reasons that we need not get into, Trent has struggled and been downright mediocre at times. TO continues to be a remarkable and potentially dominant player. Give him an A Rodgers and give Rodgers a good Oline (or perhaps even without one) and TO will still light it up (in spite of the drops). But that is not the situation that TO parachuted into in Buff. It was a very different situation. That is why signing him was a dumb football move, IMO.

But none of changes the fact that RF should not be starting ahead of Trent, for the reasons I have mentioned. I know that many astute observers on this board and others have completely given up on Trent, and I can understand why. Just saying that I am not personally convinced that there is nothing there to work with and no room for improvement. There is zero upside with RF.

My view is that TO is almost certainly not a bad person. In many respects he is probably a good guy. Many of his teamates wherever he has played like and respect him personally. But TO is not a tolerant man. In particular, he has not been able to accomplish all that he has as a player being tolerant of mediocrity, either with reference to his own performance as well as that of his teammates. And the truth is, for any number of reasons that we need not get into, Trent has struggled and been downright mediocre at times. TO continues to be a remarkable and potentially dominant player. Give him an A Rodgers and give Rodgers a good Oline (or perhaps even without one) and TO will still light it up (in spite of the drops). But that is not the situation that TO parachuted into in Buff. It was a very different situation. That is why signing him was a dumb football move, IMO.

But none of changes the fact that RF should not be starting ahead of Trent, for the reasons I have mentioned. I know that many astute observers on this board and others have completely given up on Trent, and I can understand why. Just saying that I am not personally convinced that there is nothing there to work with and no room for improvement. There is zero upside with RF.

TO might also ponder, that the last I saw, he led all NFL WRs in drops...

Guest dog14787
Actually, no it's not. Fitz may have not started as many games as TE, but Fitz has been in the league since 2005. He's got a full 2 years on TE.

Debatable.

TE was cleared to play. Jauron chose TE.

Maybe DJ decided to start TE because he was afraid of another QB "controversy" from starting again.

Unless you can back this claim up, this has to be one of the most absurd statements I have ever read.

Owens is on a one year contract, and will be gone after this season.

Bringing Vick to Buffalo serves no purpose for Owens.

Pin it all you want on TO, but at some point you will need to face the truth:

The players have lost confidence in Edwards, if they even had any.

Remember, it was revealed during the preseason not a single Bills player would say Trent Edwards was the leader of the team.

I know you like to think TE was some kind of natural born leader, but the people who know him better than we do disagree with you.

Seriously Buddy, by your definition of experience a 3rd string QB like Hamdan could have as much so called experience as your starter and look where it got Hamdan.

This is their real experience :

Ryan Fitzpatrick 17 starts and he has thrown for 3,044 yards, his QB rating this year 49.8

Trent Edwards 30 starts for 5,499 yards, his QB rating this year 74.1

T.O's talking out his ass, he's nothing but a trouble maker and I should have realized as much when folks like Lori ( a very football smart lady I might add) were cringing at the thought of T.O. coming here and they were correct in their assumptions.

Myself, I bought into T.O. hook line and sinker...