Mr. Wilson speaks

with all due respect, i do not have the time to look for links in the midst of writing breaking news.

and i won't break news on this site because that's not part of my job description. i thought it important enough to provide a hint that something was coming so that others could start looking for it.

i realize there's a tease factor involved.

if you'd rather i not start a post indicating there is news coming, then i'll not do so in the future. my apologies in advance, then.

jw

John,

Please continue to provide the kind of information you have been. Don't let one negative Nancy knock you off course.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not saying Fewell is a front-runner, but what happens if team shows progress under him?

The overwhelming sense from the fan base is that he would just about have to win out, and not just win - but show that they can handle teams - and not just back into or "trip" into a win. At no fault of his...I just can't see either one of those things happening. At BEST - I see the Bills winning 4 more games, and that is a bit of an exaggerated stretch.

The overwhelming sense from the fan base is that he would just about have to win out, and not just win - but show that they can handle teams - and not just back into or "trip" into a win. At no fault of his...I just can't see either one of those things happening. At BEST - I see the Bills winning 4 more games, and that is a bit of an exaggerated stretch.

Doesn't matter what the fan base wants...the fans wanted jauron fired 2 years ago, and certanly didn't want him to get an extension, RW doesn't give a **** what you want. He will hire who he wants. And people will continue to buy tickets and be sold the hope that is Fewell if they decide to actually name him the HC of the Buffalo Bills.

Wouldn't it make more sense to bring in a GM and start from there? What gm is going to want to come in here and have a coach/coaching staff forced upon him - even if it is a big time coach. He is going to want to put "his people" in place. The approach/thought process on how to build a team and style of play might be polar opposite between any new gm and someone like Shanahan.

Yes, I think it could go that way. I'm not sure the order is as important as the who, again. You want a GM and HC that are on the same page and have the same vision. If the HC brings along a GM or the GM brings along a HC should be less important to us than getting someone that knows what they are doing and that the team works together. If the Bills can't land an elite HC, they need to shoot for landing an elite GM that can enable the HC they end up with. Really the objective criticism of the Bills organization centers on the leadership vacuum on the football side of the business. That is the glaring hole that needs to be filled.

Yes, I think it could go that way. I'm not sure the order is as important as the who, again. You want a GM and HC that are on the same page and have the same vision. If the HC brings along a GM or the GM brings along a HC should be less important to us than getting someone that knows what they are doing and that the team works together. If the Bills can't land an elite HC, they need to shoot for landing an elite GM that can enable the HC they end up with. Really the objective criticism of the Bills organization centers on the leadership vacuum on the football side of the business. That is the glaring hole that needs to be filled.

and that, Sysyphean, is i think something Mr. Wilson is finally considering to address. of course, time will tell, but after telling me last December that he's against bringing in an "outside guy" and "someone he doesn't know" because he felt betrayed by Donahoe, he said he's open to anything this offseason.

jw

We need someone with offensive creativity. I would keep Fewell if he decided to take the DC job, he is very under rated and has done a good job with what the FO has given him. The injuries, terrible drafts and over all LOFT of this team has come to a head. Its a shame we wasted the 09 season but at least we can move in another direction now.

A guy like Shannahan would be ideal for the simple fact that his background is offense and knows what it takes to score points. If for the simple fact the he will make everyone accountable and actually earn their pay check.

and that, Sysyphean, is i think something Mr. Wilson is finally considering to address. of course, time will tell, but after telling me last December that he's against bringing in an "outside guy" and "someone he doesn't know" because he felt betrayed by Donahoe, he said he's open to anything this offseason.

jw

from your keyboard to gods ears.

final version is now out:

Wilson tells AP changes coming

jw

Overdorf should be thrown overboard before any of them. Good article, jw. Who knows what Ralphie is thinking. I still think the Shanahan rumors are probably likely, that they will talk to him soon about the job. Ralph is just not going to make it public because if Shanny turns them down anyone else is going to feel like they were second choice. There are a lot of egos in this years crop of availables.

Before you start reading sinister intentions, consider this: If Wilson wants Shanahan, he is going to have to act quickly. If he hires Shanny, he's not going to get a high-profile GM because any GM worth his salt wants to hire his own people. So if we get a Cowher, Shanny, or Holmgren, they will get full control of football ops, making a football GM moot.

Is this a good idea? The odds say no. There has never been a coach who is also GM that has won a Super Bowl. Further there has never been a Super Bowl-winning coach who has won it again with a new team. But Bills Nation wants a marquee name. Everyone is convinced a big name will win us the big one. I think we will be very disappointed.

PTR

Those are all great points everyone seems to forget or overlook or ignore. Be careful what you wish for, while all of those big names have won the big one, none of them did it overnight to say the least.

You can be successful with a coach and GM who work in sync. If we were to bring in someone like shanahan, he could possibly bring in or suggest his own "football guy" to help him out. Not unlike the Belicheat* - Pioli situation in newengland* up until this year.

Exactly. Would sound more believable if Flip Wilson was saying it, but from penny pinching Ralph, it is just words with no action as usual.

In a way, it's true. The NFL is a BIG MONEY business and Ralph has thrown around some big contracts. Unfortunately, he just hasn't spent his money wisely. It's not "cheap" to throw a $49M contract at Derrick Dockery or a $6.5M contract at T.O. On the other hand, neither contract helped the team improve.

Exactly. Would sound more believable if Flip Wilson was saying it, but from penny pinching Ralph, it is just words with no action as usual.

Still trying to figure out "looking down the wrong side of the street". I guess that would result in seeing buildings, people or landmarks that you weren't looking for. ? relevance to the question of cheapness. Is this a common colloquialism that I've just never been exposed to? Were there any other incoherent gems that he gifted you in the interview that you left out? maybe he was just trying to be cryptic and obtuse...he seems especially good at that.

final version is now out:

Wilson tells AP changes coming

jw

John,

Like the Overdorf stuff. As much as this team has suxed for years, he

comes up smelling like roses.

Heard on WGR this afternoon (nope, I'm no proud of it) that Overdorf was

responsible for Milloy being cut. Overdorf cut him and Milloy went to the

coaching staff to tell them and they were flabbergasted. Apparently Overdorf

did it to not have to pay Milloy $$ owed, and Ralphie paid him anyway because

he was pissed.

If I haven't said it lately, thanks for being here, John. Knowing what your last couple of days have been like, I have NO problem with you giving us a heads-up and someone else digging up the link.

And to address the "cheap" thing on any potential coaching hire -- since it fits in this thread, I'll repeat what I told you:

I'm not buying his "we paid TO" line. From all reports, he lowballed Butler at the same time the Bills had a chunk of their cap tied up in over-market contracts to average players. (Sam Rogers, anyone?) He grumbled about it (see: joking about having to sell a Monet to afford Andre Reed's contract), but he DID pay players...at least until it put them into cap jail, which brought us Donahoe. As Scott P notes, Knox was really the last time he went for a big-name HC.

over 50 years and Chuck Knox was the only big money coach Ralph ever brought in.

and that was because the fans got smart and stayed away.

Ralph is not likely to spend big money on real coaches and GMs now with record season ticket sales even after retaining the Dick after his team imploded last year.

I'm not convinced that a big name coach is going to fix the issue. The Bills problems are much greater than just the coach. The Bills need to put a solid organizational structure in place and then build from there. The coach/gm combo platter makes me VERY nervous primarily because it hasn't worked ANYWHERE........EVER.

The NFL history is littered with coaches who have been very successful with one team then moved on and done virtually nothing with their new team. There are far more first time SB winners then there are multiple franchise winners.

I'd much rather have a GM/Coach combo that work together and are on the same page. Throwing HUGE dollars and someone just because he's a "name" gets us nowhere.