If You owned the Buffalo Bills

thewildrabbit

OK here is how I do things if I am somehow involved in a Freakey Friday body switch with Ralph Wilson. First I let DJ finish out the season its just not really worth anything at this point to fire him half way and have someone else take over. But I do fire him at the end of the season.

Second order of business fire every one except for Buddy Nix (And scouts Nix thinks are good) on the scouting staff and hire the best scouts available, to rebuild you need to draft well and besides Nix this scouting staff just isn't that good. And to draft well you need good scouts. Also I would pretty much put Nix in charge of scouting.

Third order of business hiring a GM. Now this is tricky I just don't know who would come over here to Buffalo. My first choice would be to hire Chris Polian. My second choice would be to hire Floyd Reese (Former Titans GM and current advisor to the Pats*). After that I would really have to look for another guy with football experience that would want to come here. Worst comes to worse I would put Nix in charge.

Fourth order of business let the new GM hire who he wants as head coach, price (Within reason) is no object. If Chris Polian wants Russ Grimm hire him. If Floyd Reese wants Gruden you go get him. All in all I let my GM run this team I don't meddle.

Fifth order of business I tell my GM I don't want Trent as QB (Unless he comes back and just lights it up the last 8 games) and to sign Chad Pennington to teach a younger QB or to be a stop gap kind of guy. Other then that whatever this new GM wants to do as far as free agency (Other then keeping Keith Ellison as a starter) he can do. I trust that a Chris Polian knows what he is doing more so then me.

In the end thats all you can really do as an owner. I don't want to be a Jerry Jones type who is owner/GM of the team and want to make this place a place where GM's and coaches are left to do what they know best. I am smart enough to know that even DJ knows a lot more then I do about football so I know enough to know that I don't know anything.

I don't understand why people are high on Gruden. I believe he is a good coach, but not among the best. He inherited a super team built and trained by Tony Dungy and company. They were already a top contender when Gruden walked in the door. But look at the decline in the years that followed, leading to his being fired. In the meantime, Tony went over to the Colts and built and trained another top contender.

Are you always wrong? Seriously, Dungy inherited a very good Colts team and the league's best QB and arguably it's best GM when he came to Indy. He only won one SB because he got outcoached in the playoffs a number of times. Yeah, he deserves credit for turning around Tampa, but so does Gruden for turning around the Raiders.

Gruden went to a team that was in decline and took a junk QB and junk running game and turned them into a highly productive offense and beat the team he had built in Oakland in the Super Bowl. He then had to oversee a complete rebuild of that aging Tampa team. They didn't draft well and they lost two first round picks in the trade for him, but he still kept that team competitive. How good was he? Last year he had about the same roster as the Bucs have this year and nearly took them to the playoffs. This year, the Bucs are in the running for the top pick in the draft. MEANWHILE, Dungy's old team is undefeated without him.

I'm not saying Dungy isn't good, but Gruden has done a lot more with a lot less. He is the more impactful coach.

Are you always wrong? Seriously, Dungy inherited a very good Colts team and the league's best QB and arguably it's best GM when he came to Indy. He only won one SB because he got outcoached in the playoffs a number of times. Yeah, he deserves credit for turning around Tampa, but so does Gruden for turning around the Raiders.

Gruden went to a team that was in decline and took a junk QB and junk running game and turned them into a highly productive offense and beat the team he had built in Oakland in the Super Bowl. He then had to oversee a complete rebuild of that aging Tampa team. They didn't draft well and they lost two first round picks in the trade for him, but he still kept that team competitive. How good was he? Last year he had about the same roster as the Bucs have this year and nearly took them to the playoffs. This year, the Bucs are in the running for the top pick in the draft. MEANWHILE, Dungy's old team is undefeated without him.

I'm not saying Dungy isn't good, but Gruden has done a lot more with a lot less. He is the more impactful coach.

I happened to have worked in Tampa quite a bit before and after Dungy arrived. Tampa was had not made the playoffs since the Doug Williams era. They were awful. Tony was the key in building Tampa into a Superbowl Team. Gruden came in after doing a good job building the Raiders. Lets face it, he was a tuck rule away from going to the AFC championship maybe a superbowl. He eventually took the Bucs and won the big game.

Bill Polian obviously thought Tony was damn good because he hired Tony within the same week that Tampa released him.

Gruden's luck has not been as good and he is on the market..

Contrary to your opinion the Colts were coming off of a 6-10 record. Dungy had a great nucleus to work with Manning, James and Harrison. Tony led them to a 10-6 season and never looked back and eventually won his superbowl.

Once Tony put his handprint on the team they were consistant winners. Once Gruden put his handprint on the team they have been in slow decline.

How many times has Dungy's team started out to an 8-0 start. This Colt team still has Dungy's hand print. That's the sign of a well built team.

Gruden's team has been very mediocre since they won the superbowl. However the Raiders went to the superbowl the year after he left. Tony has demonstrated this ability twice where Gruden has once.

They both have very good accomplishment because they have demonstrated they can make the most of a situation but if I had my choice to pick one of them to turn my team around I would pick Parcells.

Now, some of these ideas are great, but the sixth- hire Mike Mayock- borders on pure lunacy. What some guy says on TV translates little to actually performing in the position and succeeding.

It is not pure lunacy, several NFL teams have already tried to hire him for their scouting department. He has made his desire to stay with the NFL network well known. I stated It was to hire him as a consultant and help the current coaching staff make the better decisions.

Unlike the ESPN clowns, Mayock was an NFL player and has been through the complete drafting process and knows every position inside out. The guy knows talent when he see's it and wouldn't be making the mistakes the current Bills scouting staff has made over the last few years.

Take a long hard look at the Steelers and the players they draft, it seems like that team is always in the playoffs and drafting in the 15-32 bracket and getting better players then the Bills drafting in the top 15. If not Mayock then perhaps hire some of Pittsburgh's scouts.

Step 1: Fire every person in the organization above the admin level.

Step 2: Cut 2/3 of the players, roughly along the lines of folz's thread.

Step 3: Do whatever I had to --- and the Lord didn't say 'be polite' -- whatever I had to, to bring in a GM that expressed a rational vision of what it takes to build a winning team, from coaches to draft philosphy.

Step 4: Invest the coin in the recommendated coaching staff.

Step 5: Get the hell out of the way.

I know this is heresy -- and I'll probably be banned from the The Stadium Wall -- but if I owned the Bills, I'd put out the word that I would be more than happy to listen to offers from any community (Toronto, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, I really don't care where) that would offer me the best deal that creates the most revenue for me. It really boils down to money. Why should I be content to make a few million on the Bills in an antique of a stadium (I was there for the first ever game -- an exhibition against the Washington Redskins) in Orchard Park if I could make bazillions somewhere else.

oh yeah, iron out a new 15-year lease with Eeeerie Co. once the present one ends...the new one picks up right then... and have 3-5 "sports stadium building/architectural firms" like HOK do an independent analysis of the stadium structure... to determine what the length of the new lease should be... I should think another 15 years would be fine.

:lol::wallbash:

oh, and ummm, no more Toronto games after 2012.

Money does not fix all problems, just ask Redskins fans. I also think the notion that the Bills are going to have to pay megabucks for a decent coach are false. They like will have to pay more that they do to Jauron---even if it's double is still fairly low/average for a head coach.

There was an article recently that said even with the marquee coaching talent available right now, that most owners aren't going to shell out big $$$ for a coach.

Make the job as attractive as possible. Don't be Dan Snyder. There's only 32 teams, someone is going to get shut out who you don't expect.

HoFer ex Redskin RB John Riggins called Dan Snyder a bad guy with a black heart,mostly because of going after the people who purchase season tickets and then can't afford them. Also, he is a meddling owner who can't keep his nose out of the teams affairs.

Snyder keeps throwing money at his franchise because he can afford it, the Bills made 12.4, the Redskins 58.1. He is a young owner by NFL standards and wants to win NOW, he just keeps listening to the wrong people for advice and making the wrong moves.

The guy needs to hire the right GM and step back and let him do his job, it is also why the rumors are going crazy about Cowher, Gruden / Allen, Shanahan and Holmgren hiring. It has been rumored Snyder has already tried to hire Cowher and Shanahan several times this season.

So ridiculous that someone has to say this every time Gruden's name comes up. He took an Oakland team that was nowhere and they made the SB the year after he left. He took an already good team in Tampa and won the thing. Two completely different scenerios, two successful outcomes. That's no different than what Dungy did in his two jobs. His Indy teams were of course more consistently good with Peyton freaking Manning who he inherited. Fortunately for him they choked a half dozen times in big spots before winning the thing, so nobody thinks of it as Jim Mora's team. Of course Mora wasn't the Colts GM; and neither was Dungy for the Bucs.

Do you actually believe that GMs alone decide on draft picks? Coaches get a very large vote on who will be picked and therefore share in the credit or blame for a team's competitiveness during their tenure. If there is an exception, it is in Oakland, where a coach is not given much power at all. As I said, I believe Gruden is a good coach, but not among the elite.

No argument about Polian. He is one of the best. Ralph's greatest sin may be in dumping him.