Call me crazy, but I think there's still hope for this season

Reddy Freddy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry man, I was really directing that at the OP.

I do laugh at farts, burps & people hitting their funny bone.

No worries. Even though I responded to your post, my response was actually directed more at the sharp-witted people who thought it would be hilarious to respond to a "Call me crazy, but..." post by calling me crazy. Comedy gold!

Couldn't see that one coming. Bills fans have perfected self-loathing.

moronic is more suitable than crazy...I didn't stay with you on this at all...three lines in and I thought you were high! The Bills making the playoffs would require a coaching staff with some balls, and all we have is Dick! You wasted entirely too much time authoring this hot mess and you should go kick yourself in the balls! :blink:

I know this will be met with doubt at the least and possibly outright ridicule, but here goes.

I see a plausible path to the playoffs for the Bills this season. Stay with me on this. The Bills are currently 3-5 and two games out of the last playoff spot in the AFC, currently held by the Chargers, who are 5-3. A 9-7 record used to give you a decent shot at the playoffs, but in recent years you've needed 10-6 more often than not. I happen to believe that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs this year, since it's not hard to see wild card contenders like the Chargers, Texans, and Ravens finishing the season at 9-7 or even 8-8.

So my hopeful outlook is partially based on the concept that if the Bills manage to get to 9-7, and happen to win the right games to put themselves in decent tie-breaker position, they could make the playoffs.

Now how on earth do we get to 9-7? A fair question, especially given the way we've played of late. But let's not forget how the season began. We should have by all rights beaten the Patriots in New England to start the season. We followed that up with a strong win against an admittedly poor team. After the Bucs game, I think most of us would have assumed that 9-7 was entirely possible.

Granted there have been some ugly losses since (Cleveland and Miami come to mind). But we still managed to win on the road vs. the Jets and Panthers. I would submit to you that those two teams are better than the next two teams on our schedule. If we can beat the Jets and Panthers on the road with Fitz at the helm, why can't we beat the Titans and Jags with Edwards back?

If we can get past the Titans and Jags, we're back to .500 with two home division games up next. At that point, I think the complexion of the season changes. Fans' confidence grows, and with it so does the team's confidence. Trent starts looking more like the guy who was among the league leaders in passer rating after two games, rather than the guy who looked lost in the next three games. As his play improves, we start converting 3rd downs. We stay on the field longer, and get the running game back on track. Marshawn and Freddy begin to wear defenses down more. The run game opens things up for Lee and T.O. downfield.

All of the sudden, at 5-5, Vegas has us favored to win home games vs. the Phins and Jets (in TO). We expose Sanchez again and get some revenge vs. the Dolphins, who have never been strong in Buffalo in the cold weather. We're now 7-5, and right back in the thick of the playoff race.

Who's after that? The Chiefs, who I think we can all agree are one of the 5 worst teams in the league. 8-5.

Bad news down the stretch, as we finish with the Patriots (home), Falcons (away), and Colts (home). The Falcons game is a loss. The Colts might very well have wrapped up home field by the last game of the season, which would mean we'd be facing Sorgi, not Manning. That's a win at home. That gets us to 9 wins. If 9 isn't enough, the season might well hinge on that Patriots game (which I'll be at), to get that 10th win.

A rosey outlook? Certainly. Impossible? Certainly not.

I think it all hinges on Trent. As I mentioned, he looked good the first couple weeks. I remember thinking that he really might be breaking out finally. Then there were injuries on the o-line, his protection failed him, and he lost his confidence. But it's not like his slide was over 8-10 games. He played poorly in just 3 games -- Saints, Dolphins, and Browns.

He's still young. Young QBs have a few bad games. These next two games will tell us a lot. We need both of them, but if we get them both, at 5-5 with two home division games to follow, we're right back in the hunt.

I know this goes against the grain of Bills fans because of years and years of disappointment, but don't lose hope quite yet. I haven't.

I stopped there. There is no reason to read further, you are not connected with reality if you think this team is remotely close to playoff caliber.

There is a problem with these "hey, we can still make the playoffs" scenarios.

When you reach the playoffs, you must face competent, well-coached teams. Hmmm... now what?

So, Reddy Freddy, would getting clobbered in the wild card game provide suitable hope for you? Would that be fun?

I would not call you crazy, but naive certainly seems to fit.

When you reach the playoffs, you must face competent, well-coached teams. Hmmm... now what?

So, Reddy Freddy, would getting clobbered in the wild card game provide suitable hope for you? Would that be fun?

Maybe getting drubbed in the wild card round might not be so fun. But winning 6 out of the next 8 games would. Each week we'd get closer and closer to playoff land. After being mathematically eliminated with 2 or 3 weeks left the last 3 years, it would be fun. Going to the playoffs and losing the first game would be so much better than the last 8 years. Besides we'd be a hot team who had won 8 out of the last 11 games. If that were the case I don't know, we might even win that first game and then who knows?

Hey it could happen. It's possible. Just take it one game at a time. We got a tough one Sunday. Let's take it and then see waht happens after that.

OK nice to see some real FANS have hope . I like your have faith approach.

Wins Vs Titans...possible if ....

Vince Young has a Sanchez moments and Byrd picks off 2 for scores , Freddie runs a kickoff back and the Defense plays bend but don't let em score touchdowns.

Win vs Jags possible if... we can control Pocket Hercules ( Jones Drew) nobody else on the Jags scares me. Again Byrd has 2 more picks, Defense scores again, This time Freddie has a monster game and gets over 140 all purpose yds.

I don't like the Dolphins matchup , even at home. Win is possible if ... Trent is not hurt by now and finally has a breakout game within the division at home, we are way more healthy with Williams, Whitner, Scott and McGee back.

Fins game might be a defensive struggle . Winner 13-10 in the snow. But it has to snow that way we know the football Gods are on our side.

We beat the Jets in Toronto. This is the game T.O goes off. Scores 3 TDS .Write it down you heard it hear first. 30-14 Bills :wallbash:

We Beat the Chiefs like pancake batter....24-7

Drinking Kool aid with me so far?? But this is where we slip back into ECMC for beatdown treatment.

Tom Brady will come to town and being us back to earth. By this time he is in playoff mode.

you think 56-17 was bad. Dont even bother to watch, it night be even worse.

Falcons will be fighting for a playoff spot at home. 30 -10 Falcons

I figure the top spot in the AFC will still be up for grabs when the Colts come to town. Steelers, Colts, Pats are still fighting for it.

Manning will go crazy. 40 -7 Colts

get this drumroll please.

DICK JAURON LAST GAME AS HEAD COACH

If by somehow this would happen , I would slap my momma :blink:

I know this will be met with doubt at the least and possibly outright ridicule, but here goes.

I see a plausible path to the playoffs for the Bills this season. Stay with me on this. The Bills are currently 3-5 and two games out of the last playoff spot in the AFC, currently held by the Chargers, who are 5-3. A 9-7 record used to give you a decent shot at the playoffs, but in recent years you've needed 10-6 more often than not. I happen to believe that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs this year, since it's not hard to see wild card contenders like the Chargers, Texans, and Ravens finishing the season at 9-7 or even 8-8.

So my hopeful outlook is partially based on the concept that if the Bills manage to get to 9-7, and happen to win the right games to put themselves in decent tie-breaker position, they could make the playoffs.

Now how on earth do we get to 9-7? A fair question, especially given the way we've played of late. But let's not forget how the season began. We should have by all rights beaten the Patriots in New England to start the season. We followed that up with a strong win against an admittedly poor team. After the Bucs game, I think most of us would have assumed that 9-7 was entirely possible.

Granted there have been some ugly losses since (Cleveland and Miami come to mind). But we still managed to win on the road vs. the Jets and Panthers. I would submit to you that those two teams are better than the next two teams on our schedule. If we can beat the Jets and Panthers on the road with Fitz at the helm, why can't we beat the Titans and Jags with Edwards back?

If we can get past the Titans and Jags, we're back to .500 with two home division games up next. At that point, I think the complexion of the season changes. Fans' confidence grows, and with it so does the team's confidence. Trent starts looking more like the guy who was among the league leaders in passer rating after two games, rather than the guy who looked lost in the next three games. As his play improves, we start converting 3rd downs. We stay on the field longer, and get the running game back on track. Marshawn and Freddy begin to wear defenses down more. The run game opens things up for Lee and T.O. downfield.

All of the sudden, at 5-5, Vegas has us favored to win home games vs. the Phins and Jets (in TO). We expose Sanchez again and get some revenge vs. the Dolphins, who have never been strong in Buffalo in the cold weather. We're now 7-5, and right back in the thick of the playoff race.

Who's after that? The Chiefs, who I think we can all agree are one of the 5 worst teams in the league. 8-5.

Bad news down the stretch, as we finish with the Patriots (home), Falcons (away), and Colts (home). The Falcons game is a loss. The Colts might very well have wrapped up home field by the last game of the season, which would mean we'd be facing Sorgi, not Manning. That's a win at home. That gets us to 9 wins. If 9 isn't enough, the season might well hinge on that Patriots game (which I'll be at), to get that 10th win.

I think it all hinges on Trent. As I mentioned, he looked good the first couple weeks. I remember thinking that he really might be breaking out finally. Then there were injuries on the o-line, his protection failed him, and he lost his confidence. But it's not like his slide was over 8-10 games. He played poorly in just 3 games -- Saints, Dolphins, and Browns.

He's still young. Young QBs have a few bad games. These next two games will tell us a lot. We need both of them, but if we get them both, at 5-5 with two home division games to follow, we're right back in the hunt.

I know this goes against the grain of Bills fans because of years and years of disappointment, but don't lose hope quite yet. I haven't.

I would love to see your second half vision come true. Regardless of how much I hate Dick and Fewell (and I do), I always want the team to win every time I sit down to watch them. :blink:

I however, can't logically see this team winning Dick's usual 7 games, much less 9. I hope you are right, but if I am, at least we will both be able to say goodbye to the Dick Jauron era.

FIRST OFF We are 3 games out of a play off spot since we hold no tie breakers. Second off there are 8 games left of those 8 5 are winable but it does not mean we will win. 3 of them are against atlanta/NE and Indy we will not win. whic leaves us at best 8-8 but in al reality either 6-10 or 7-9

Your playoff talk is just waht you called it crazy. We have no offense and we cannot stop the run that is not a playoff team. But the most important factor is we have DJ as our head coach which really makes a non contending football team.

I would not call you crazy, but naive certainly seems to fit.

By that logic, we should only want the Bills to make the playoffs if they are likely to win the Super Bowl. That is, for lack of a better term, retarded. And so is the concept that we can't compete with other playoff teams. We did so in week 1.

By that logic, we should only want the Bills to make the playoffs if they are likely to win the Super Bowl. That is, for lack of a better term, retarded. And so is the concept that we can't compete with other playoff teams. We did so in week 1.

I am so TIRED of hearing about week one. PLEEASSSEEE go back an watch that game with no bias. We did not look good not even remotely good. We were lucky to be in a position to possibly win the game so what Leodis fumbled the ball it doesnt mean that we would have had achance the defense was getting rocked in the 4th qtr. But even still the pats scoresd up by one we had plenty of time to get into feild goal range and the team failed miserabley.

Plus Brady's first game back was a little rusty it didnt make us better then them.

Come to grips with reality this team is not making the playoffs in any scenario yo put out there. If they ever were they would be 1 and done because we cant be a playoff calibur team PERIOD!!!!

I am so TIRED of hearing about week one. PLEEASSSEEE go back an watch that game with no bias. We did not look good not even remotely good. We were lucky to be in a position to possibly win the game so what Leodis fumbled the ball it doesnt mean that we would have had achance the defense was getting rocked in the 4th qtr. But even still the pats scoresd up by one we had plenty of time to get into feild goal range and the team failed miserabley.

Plus Brady's first game back was a little rusty it didnt make us better then them.

Come to grips with reality this team is not making the playoffs in any scenario yo put out there. If they ever were they would be 1 and done because we cant be a playoff calibur team PERIOD!!!!

I find it odd when Bills "fans" vehemently and passionately argue that their team is terrible. I mean it's one thing to be like like "Oh, man, the Bills are not very good this year." It's quite another to be like "I am telling you! The Bills are the worst team in the league! They will be lucky to win another game! They are terrible! They might be the worst team in NFL history! Oh yeah, Go Bills." This is obviously an exaggeration, but come on people! This is your team!