Call me crazy, but I think there's still hope for this season

Reddy Freddy

I know this will be met with doubt at the least and possibly outright ridicule, but here goes.

I see a plausible path to the playoffs for the Bills this season. Stay with me on this. The Bills are currently 3-5 and two games out of the last playoff spot in the AFC, currently held by the Chargers, who are 5-3. A 9-7 record used to give you a decent shot at the playoffs, but in recent years you've needed 10-6 more often than not. I happen to believe that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs this year, since it's not hard to see wild card contenders like the Chargers, Texans, and Ravens finishing the season at 9-7 or even 8-8.

So my hopeful outlook is partially based on the concept that if the Bills manage to get to 9-7, and happen to win the right games to put themselves in decent tie-breaker position, they could make the playoffs.

Now how on earth do we get to 9-7? A fair question, especially given the way we've played of late. But let's not forget how the season began. We should have by all rights beaten the Patriots in New England to start the season. We followed that up with a strong win against an admittedly poor team. After the Bucs game, I think most of us would have assumed that 9-7 was entirely possible.

Granted there have been some ugly losses since (Cleveland and Miami come to mind). But we still managed to win on the road vs. the Jets and Panthers. I would submit to you that those two teams are better than the next two teams on our schedule. If we can beat the Jets and Panthers on the road with Fitz at the helm, why can't we beat the Titans and Jags with Edwards back?

If we can get past the Titans and Jags, we're back to .500 with two home division games up next. At that point, I think the complexion of the season changes. Fans' confidence grows, and with it so does the team's confidence. Trent starts looking more like the guy who was among the league leaders in passer rating after two games, rather than the guy who looked lost in the next three games. As his play improves, we start converting 3rd downs. We stay on the field longer, and get the running game back on track. Marshawn and Freddy begin to wear defenses down more. The run game opens things up for Lee and T.O. downfield.

All of the sudden, at 5-5, Vegas has us favored to win home games vs. the Phins and Jets (in TO). We expose Sanchez again and get some revenge vs. the Dolphins, who have never been strong in Buffalo in the cold weather. We're now 7-5, and right back in the thick of the playoff race.

Who's after that? The Chiefs, who I think we can all agree are one of the 5 worst teams in the league. 8-5.

Bad news down the stretch, as we finish with the Patriots (home), Falcons (away), and Colts (home). The Falcons game is a loss. The Colts might very well have wrapped up home field by the last game of the season, which would mean we'd be facing Sorgi, not Manning. That's a win at home. That gets us to 9 wins. If 9 isn't enough, the season might well hinge on that Patriots game (which I'll be at), to get that 10th win.

A rosey outlook? Certainly. Impossible? Certainly not.

I think it all hinges on Trent. As I mentioned, he looked good the first couple weeks. I remember thinking that he really might be breaking out finally. Then there were injuries on the o-line, his protection failed him, and he lost his confidence. But it's not like his slide was over 8-10 games. He played poorly in just 3 games -- Saints, Dolphins, and Browns.

He's still young. Young QBs have a few bad games. These next two games will tell us a lot. We need both of them, but if we get them both, at 5-5 with two home division games to follow, we're right back in the hunt.

I know this goes against the grain of Bills fans because of years and years of disappointment, but don't lose hope quite yet. I haven't.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this will be met with doubt at the least and possibly outright ridicule, but here goes.

I see a plausible path to the playoffs for the Bills this season. Stay with me on this. The Bills are currently 3-5 and two games out of the last playoff spot in the AFC, currently held by the Chargers, who are 5-3. A 9-7 record used to give you a decent shot at the playoffs, but in recent years you've needed 10-6 more often than not. I happen to believe that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs this year, since it's not hard to see wild card contenders like the Chargers, Texans, and Ravens finishing the season at 9-7 or even 8-8.

So my hopeful outlook is partially based on the concept that if the Bills manage to get to 9-7, and happen to win the right games to put themselves in decent tie-breaker position, they could make the playoffs.

Now how on earth do we get to 9-7? A fair question, especially given the way we've played of late. But let's not forget how the season began. We should have by all rights beaten the Patriots in New England to start the season. We followed that up with a strong win against an admittedly poor team. After the Bucs game, I think most of us would have assumed that 9-7 was entirely possible.

Granted there have been some ugly losses since (Cleveland and Miami come to mind). But we still managed to win on the road vs. the Jets and Panthers. I would submit to you that those two teams are better than the next two teams on our schedule. If we can beat the Jets and Panthers on the road with Fitz at the helm, why can't we beat the Titans and Jags with Edwards back?

If we can get past the Titans and Jags, we're back to .500 with two home division games up next. At that point, I think the complexion of the season changes. Fans' confidence grows, and with it so does the team's confidence. Trent starts looking more like the guy who was among the league leaders in passer rating after two games, rather than the guy who looked lost in the next three games. As his play improves, we start converting 3rd downs. We stay on the field longer, and get the running game back on track. Marshawn and Freddy begin to wear defenses down more. The run game opens things up for Lee and T.O. downfield.

All of the sudden, at 5-5, Vegas has us favored to win home games vs. the Phins and Jets (in TO). We expose Sanchez again and get some revenge vs. the Dolphins, who have never been strong in Buffalo in the cold weather. We're now 7-5, and right back in the thick of the playoff race.

Who's after that? The Chiefs, who I think we can all agree are one of the 5 worst teams in the league. 8-5.

Bad news down the stretch, as we finish with the Patriots (home), Falcons (away), and Colts (home). The Falcons game is a loss. The Colts might very well have wrapped up home field by the last game of the season, which would mean we'd be facing Sorgi, not Manning. That's a win at home. That gets us to 9 wins. If 9 isn't enough, the season might well hinge on that Patriots game (which I'll be at), to get that 10th win.

I think it all hinges on Trent. As I mentioned, he looked good the first couple weeks. I remember thinking that he really might be breaking out finally. Then there were injuries on the o-line, his protection failed him, and he lost his confidence. But it's not like his slide was over 8-10 games. He played poorly in just 3 games -- Saints, Dolphins, and Browns.

He's still young. Young QBs have a few bad games. These next two games will tell us a lot. We need both of them, but if we get them both, at 5-5 with two home division games to follow, we're right back in the hunt.

I know this goes against the grain of Bills fans because of years and years of disappointment, but don't lose hope quite yet. I haven't.

Ok You told us too...........Crazy

I think the best we can hope for for the remainder of the season is to see improvement in the younger guys on the O-line, Nelson, Hardy, Maybin, Harris/Palmer, etc., for the next regime. And a playoff run means we're stuck with Jauron.

Couldn't see that one coming. Bills fans have perfected self-loathing.

This Bills system is horrible. 3 pts against the Brown at home and there was no snow on the ground. I see at the most 2 wins this year from here on out. Like the one poster said...all the fans can do from here on out and hope for improvement on the younger players

FYI........DJ has a life time record below .500 LIFETIME............

which "crazy" are you ?

adjective

1. mentally deranged; demented; insane.

2. senseless; impractical; totally unsound: a crazy scheme.

3. Informal. intensely enthusiastic; passionately excited: crazy about baseball.

4. Informal. very enamored or infatuated (usually fol. by about): He was crazy about her.

5. Informal. intensely anxious or eager; impatient: I'm crazy to try those new skis.

6. Informal. unusual; bizarre; singular: She always wears a crazy hat.

7. Slang. wonderful; excellent; perfect: That's crazy, man, crazy.

8. likely to break or fall to pieces.

9. weak, infirm, or sickly.

10. having an unusual, unexpected, or random quality, behavior, result, pattern, etc.: a crazy reel that spins in either direction.

–noun

11. Slang. an unpredictable, nonconforming person; oddball: a house full of crazies who wear weird clothes and come in at all hours.

12. the crazies, Slang. a sense of extreme unease, nervousness, or panic; extreme jitters: The crew was starting to get the crazies from being cooped up below decks for so long.

—Idiom

13. like crazy, a. Slang. with great enthusiasm or energy; to an extreme: We shopped like crazy and bought all our Christmas gifts in one afternoon.

b. with great speed or recklessness: He drives like crazy once he's out on the highway.

Trent is no different than J.P. Losman... You can give him 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th chances, but he will never end up being the QB we all dream of.

I see a plausible path to the playoffs for the Bills this season.

They have a shot, for sure. They face one of the league's more candy schedules, on paper.

Only 3 of their remaining 8 games are against clubs with a current winning record, and one of those is IND at home, who has a history of sitting all 22 starters if it doesn't matter for their playoff seeding.

Their problem, if they garner future wins, is their bad conference and division record so far.

Edited by stuckincincy

and if we can't?

I couldn't agree more. Imagine someone going around just asking folks to call him crazy. The OP should have a higher sense of self worth.

So you're the guy who thinks it's funny to call someone "crazy" when they say "Call me crazy, but ..."?

"Hahaha! He said 'call me crazy,' so guess what I did. I called him crazy! Hahahaha!"

Comedic genius.

So you're the guy who thinks it's funny to call someone "crazy" when they say "Call me crazy, but ..."?

"Hahaha! He said 'call me crazy,' so guess what I did. I called him crazy! Hahahaha!"

Comedic genius.

Sorry man, I was really directing that at the OP.

I do laugh at farts, burps & people hitting their funny bone.

All joking aside, it's nice to see some optimism on this board and I wish I could share it. This team is just too poorly coached on the offensive side of the ball to have any chance.

I was watching the opener at NE today for some reason. There was such hope and good feeling up until the 4th qtr. Too bad that was most likely the highlight of the season. It would be quite sad if I could get over the anger.

All joking aside, it's nice to see some optimism on this board and I wish I could share it. This team is just too poorly coached on the offensive side of the ball to have any chance.

I was watching the opener at NE today for some reason. There was such hope and good feeling up until the 4th qtr. Too bad that was most likely the highlight of the season. It would be quite sad if I could get over the anger.

Man I really miss having that bye week. So relaxing it was.