8th grader suspended from school...

A haircut makes his parents proud. I'm amazed how inane forms of 'expression' replace actual achievement as a measure of pride.

I wore a mohawk (straight up Iroquois - no faux) and got stuff etched in my head during football season my junior year in HS. My mom shrugged it off as phase and my dad thought I was a jackass. It didn't violate any established school rules then, but if it did, I god-damn guarantee you that my pops would have persuaded me to shave it off.

That's what happens it another country. Here in the US, it wouldn't be a big deal, but in Ontario, it's a different story.

The CRTC or Ministry Of Canadian Culture is probably behind this because of Canadian content laws. If the kid had a CFL team etched in hid dopey head he would be alright

Reading the article it appears as though the school has rules that prohibit such haircuts. The kid isn't in compliance with the rules so should be suspended. Not sure what the fuss is all about?

Furthermore, the parents are a$$e$ for encouraging their kid to break the rules. I wonder if they give the kid the same freedom at home if he breaks their rules? Not likely!

Reading the article it appears as though the school has rules that prohibit such haircuts. The kid isn't in compliance with the rules so should be suspended. Not sure what the fuss is all about?

Furthermore, the parents are a$$e$ for encouraging their kid to break the rules. I wonder if they give the kid the same freedom at home if he breaks their rules? Not likely!

Well, I think that's a dumb ass rule...why do we need rules to regulate everything in our lives, where is our FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION??????

A haircut makes his parents proud. I'm amazed how inane forms of 'expression' replace actual achievement as a measure of pride.

I wore a mohawk (straight up Iroquois - no faux) and got stuff etched in my head during football season my junior year in HS. My mom shrugged it off as phase and my dad thought I was a jackass. It didn't violate any established school rules then, but if it did, I god-damn guarantee you that my pops would have persuaded me to shave it off.

"My dad thought I was a jackass" absolutely made my day. Back in '83, I came home from college after growing a sweet 'stache (think Napolean Dynamite here) and alllllll my friends had told me how good it looked. My girlfriend (now wife) wasn't crazy about it, my Mom had pretty much the same response as yours did. My dad, however, came in from work, took one look at me and started laughing hysterically. God love him, I shaved it off almost immediately. He tried to tell me how much he liked it, but the damage was already done.

"My dad thought I was a jackass." Good stuff.

I thought it was his going to school that was making his parents proud...which, sadly, makes too much sense this day and age.

Asinine rule. Zero tolerance for unusual haircuts?

Well, I think that's a dumb ass rule...why do we need rules to regulate everything in our lives, where is our FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION??????

I'd like to express myself by running around nude outside in the summertime but I can't because there are rules against that. :lol:

If the kid wishes to express his love for his football team then find a different way to do it. Wear Bengals PJ's to bed, start up a Bengals blog, tattoo a picture of Carson Palmer on your dick.

The bigger issue to me is the stupid parents who are encouraging their son to break the established rule.

I thought it was his going to school that was making his parents proud...which, sadly, makes too much sense this day and age.

Asinine rule. Zero tolerance for unusual haircuts?

You're correct.

But, the idea that his folks think that their son is righteous for keeping the 'do and remaining in solitary makes me cringe.

Not the stuff of legends.

"My dad thought I was a jackass" absolutely made my day. Back in '83, I came home from college after growing a sweet 'stache (think Napolean Dynamite here) and alllllll my friends had told me how good it looked. My girlfriend (now wife) wasn't crazy about it, my Mom had pretty much the same response as yours did. My dad, however, came in from work, took one look at me and started laughing hysterically. God love him, I shaved it off almost immediately. He tried to tell me how much he liked it, but the damage was already done.

"My dad thought I was a jackass." Good stuff.

In retrospect my dad reared me by zen aphorism:

'the best way to control a cow is to give it a very, very big field.'

He was still pragmatic enough to call a spade a spade.

Consider how stupid fashion police are. Everything about this sucks. The team sucks, its unfair for the kid, confusing to the other students, shows authority figures to be ridiculous, and wastes the parents time. Eff whoever suspended this kid.

I was suspended from eigth grade for having an aspirin in my pocket. They hired an expensive prosecutor and had a mock trial. My best friends dad found me guilty of drug abuse. They sent me to 100 hours of drug rehab meetings. The drug rehab people told my parents I was on acid, and then my parents threatened to sue them, so it all ended. I had never seen a drug in my life.

The bigger issue to me is the stupid parents who are encouraging their son to break the established rule.

Since he'd gotten in trouble for it once before (though not punished), I agree that they shouldn't have been taken by surprise. Nonetheless, it's an asinine rule. No one has any common sense anymore. This is a free country and it's a public school. Aside from blatantly offensive content, such forms of expression should not be banned. While it may not violate any legal rights (I'm not sure what kind of 'rights' people under 18 technically possess) it certainly violates the spirit of the First Amendment.