President Obama re: Jobs

Chef Jim

From ABC News: "The jobs conference will include chief executives from around the country, economists, non-profits and representatives from labor unions. The president said he’s open to hearing “any good idea” to stimulate job growth and incentivize employers to start hiring again."

Dear President,

Let us save you the trouble of having yet another meeting to discuss something for which you have no experience to successfully address.

1) Stop telling people who are earning over $250K (you know...small business owners) that they are going to pay for every goddam liberal program that pops out of your ass.

2) Stop spending, and cancel what's left of the Recovery Act.

3) Cut taxes across the board. Give people their money back. You can not fake your way through this with another failed bill that will only make things look better for a brief moment in time.

4) Stop thinking that having labor union representatives as consultants to job growth is a good idea.

That would be a good start.

You left out pull out every last soldier from the Middle East and get them back home, where they should have been all along

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is still only 2009. Once the phucktard baby-boomers start keeling over (better) or hitting retirement (worse) in the coming years, things will get better and correct itself. Thank God all the jobs were farmed out overseas years ago when the boomers hit their prime.

We will be in the clear around 2025 for sure. :wallbash:

After that comment I would love to see the baby boomers cut you gen xers out of the several trillion dollars of wealth that will be passed to you when we die.

No, it will most likely be trillions but in inflation adjusted terms, it will be billions

So adjusting for taxation and inflation we're talking thousands? You know what I'm changing my tune here. Let the little selfish bastard xers have it and let them pay the !@#$ing taxes on it.

More good news:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-w...d=moreheadlines

Last Friday, the government told us that the official unemployment rate in the U.S. is 10.2 percent, the highest since the crippling early '80s recession.

But that only tells us part of the story, so I've been unpacking the data all week.

On Monday, I told you that the U.S. unemployment rate is now higher than Europe's (even France's!). On Tuesday, I examined the alarmingly high teenage unemployment rate (27.6 percent). Wednesday was Veterans Day, so I took at look at unemployed vets, focusing on the high joblessness among veterans of the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yesterday, I examined unemployment among Hispanics.

Today, it's long-term unemployment, which the government defines as being unemployed for at least 27 weeks.

The percentage of Americans who have been unemployed for more than six months is at its highest level since the government began keeping this statistic in 1948, according to data from the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics.

According to the BLS data, 35.6 percent of all unemployed Americans have been out of work for at least 27 weeks. That number was hit in September and held in October.

That's a pretty staggering number and it speaks to the length and depth of the Great Recession, which began in December 2007 and officially ended in September, when GDP turned positive. Though it probably doesn't feel that way for the unemployed.

The 35.6 percent figure is much higher than highs set during the most recent big recession, the one that lasted from January 1980 to November 1982. As I've written before, unemployment is a lagging indicator, and unemployment rates continue to rise after recessions end. The previous high for long-term unemployment prior to this recession came in June 1983, clocking in at 26 percent.

If you look at the BLS data, long-term unemployment is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Double-digit long-term unemployment didn't kick in on a consistent basis until 1958. Prior to that, it hung in the low-to-mid single digits, bottoming out at 2.9 percent in May 1953. These were the postwar boom years, driven by manufacturing and construction, as Americans helped build new suburbs all across the country.

Double-digit long-term unemployment really took hold in 1959, as the nation entered a recession, and then another one in 1960, creating a six-year funk. But then the Vietnam War years kicked in, young men were drafted into the military, and hiring in the military-industrial complex pushed long-term unemployment back down into the single digits until the mid-'70s oil crisis recessions.

By 1991, however, double-digit long-term unemployment took firm hold and it looks like it's simply part of the economy now, thanks to lengthier unemployment benefits and shifting labor patterns, as more low-end jobs go overseas.

Here's what's important to take away from this: Long-term unemployment appears to have decoupled from the overall unemployment figure.

At 10.2 percent, the national unemployment rate is near but not higher than the nation's all-time unemployment rate of 10.8 percent, set in November 1982.

But the long-term unemployment rate in November 1982 was 19.5 percent and topped out during that recession seven months later at 26 percent.

Another way to look at it: During the previous worst recession, in the early '80s, the long-term unemployment rate was a little more than double the national rate.

During this recession, it's more than triple the national rate. And it's closing in on four times the national rate.

Those long-term unemployed workers create a lasting and heavy burden on the system, which will not only impede recovery -- think of an overloaded airplane struggling to get off the runway -- but may also build in higher unemployment rates than we're used to, for good.

More good news:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-w...d=moreheadlines

Last Friday, the government told us that the official unemployment rate in the U.S. is 10.2 percent, the highest since the crippling early '80s recession.

But that only tells us part of the story, so I've been unpacking the data all week.

On Monday, I told you that the U.S. unemployment rate is now higher than Europe's (even France's!). On Tuesday, I examined the alarmingly high teenage unemployment rate (27.6 percent). Wednesday was Veterans Day, so I took at look at unemployed vets, focusing on the high joblessness among veterans of the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yesterday, I examined unemployment among Hispanics.

Today, it's long-term unemployment, which the government defines as being unemployed for at least 27 weeks.

The percentage of Americans who have been unemployed for more than six months is at its highest level since the government began keeping this statistic in 1948, according to data from the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics.

According to the BLS data, 35.6 percent of all unemployed Americans have been out of work for at least 27 weeks. That number was hit in September and held in October.

That's a pretty staggering number and it speaks to the length and depth of the Great Recession, which began in December 2007 and officially ended in September, when GDP turned positive. Though it probably doesn't feel that way for the unemployed.

The 35.6 percent figure is much higher than highs set during the most recent big recession, the one that lasted from January 1980 to November 1982. As I've written before, unemployment is a lagging indicator, and unemployment rates continue to rise after recessions end. The previous high for long-term unemployment prior to this recession came in June 1983, clocking in at 26 percent.

If you look at the BLS data, long-term unemployment is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Double-digit long-term unemployment didn't kick in on a consistent basis until 1958. Prior to that, it hung in the low-to-mid single digits, bottoming out at 2.9 percent in May 1953. These were the postwar boom years, driven by manufacturing and construction, as Americans helped build new suburbs all across the country.

Double-digit long-term unemployment really took hold in 1959, as the nation entered a recession, and then another one in 1960, creating a six-year funk. But then the Vietnam War years kicked in, young men were drafted into the military, and hiring in the military-industrial complex pushed long-term unemployment back down into the single digits until the mid-'70s oil crisis recessions.

By 1991, however, double-digit long-term unemployment took firm hold and it looks like it's simply part of the economy now, thanks to lengthier unemployment benefits and shifting labor patterns, as more low-end jobs go overseas.

Here's what's important to take away from this: Long-term unemployment appears to have decoupled from the overall unemployment figure.

At 10.2 percent, the national unemployment rate is near but not higher than the nation's all-time unemployment rate of 10.8 percent, set in November 1982.

But the long-term unemployment rate in November 1982 was 19.5 percent and topped out during that recession seven months later at 26 percent.

Another way to look at it: During the previous worst recession, in the early '80s, the long-term unemployment rate was a little more than double the national rate.

During this recession, it's more than triple the national rate. And it's closing in on four times the national rate.

Those long-term unemployed workers create a lasting and heavy burden on the system, which will not only impede recovery -- think of an overloaded airplane struggling to get off the runway -- but may also build in higher unemployment rates than we're used to, for good.

Jesus. He's having a meeting. What more do you want?

A community organizer creating jobs? Holding a Job summit?

:wallbash::thumbsup::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey that's not fair, Chicago is a wonderful community thanks to the hard work Barack and his friends. You'd be hard pressed to find someone without a job and living off of social services there. Crime in Chicago is a thing of the past too. Thankfully he's bringing that same "can do" spirit and spreading it to the rest of America.

Good... They can choke on it when they die.

My parents are not baby-boomers. :wallbash: Anyway, I don't expect anything will be left.

:thumbsup:

So what you're saying is, that we should of never of saved the French in WWII.

Ok, I can go with that :lol: