Fans: From Anger to Apathy

Got_Wood

That's not a very good place to be if you're an NFL franchise. That's where the Lions and Rams are. I never thought we would approach a point this low.

Try boredom....I've never been so bored out of my mind. The other team has the ball for 40+ minutes, and we generate about 150 yards of offense? I was flipping over to the Lions/Rams game today, and they generated about ten times more excitement than the Bills.

Try boredom....I've never been so bored out of my mind. The other team has the ball for 40+ minutes, and we generate about 150 yards of offense? I was flipping over to the Lions/Rams game today, and they generated about ten times more excitement than the Bills.

Yeah, the offense isn't just bad. It's disorganized, they telegraph plays, it's unimaginative, and just flat out pathetic.

Yeah, the offense isn't just bad. It's disorganized, they telegraph plays, it's unimaginative, and just flat out pathetic.

And on two occassions we had wide receivers run 5 yard patters on 3rd & 7's. If you're going to drop back, block, and throw the ball downfield and accomplish all of it you should probably make sure that the route your running is past the first down marker. It's one thing if it's dumped off to a RB short of the sticks, but it's our receivers running the short routes and it looks like its by design.

That's not a very good place to be if you're an NFL franchise. That's where the Lions and Rams are. I never thought we would approach a point this low.

What took you so long to get to apathy???

I still go watch the games, but its more for the enjoyment I get from getting together with my friends and talking football, etc., and out of respect of my 17+ year streak without missing a game.

My streak may come to an end in 2 weeks, as I will be in Las Vegas the weekend of the Titans game, and I'm not sure I want to waste 3+ hours of my Vegas vacation on watching this junk.

Should I break my streak?

What took you so long to get to apathy???

I still go watch the games, but its more for the enjoyment I get from getting together with my friends and talking football, etc., and out of respect of my 17+ year streak without missing a game.

My streak may come to an end in 2 weeks, as I will be in Las Vegas the weekend of the Titans game, and I'm not sure I want to waste 3+ hours of my Vegas vacation on watching this junk.

Should I break my streak?

Go down to one of the sports books at one of the resort hotels. You can place a bet, have a drink, something to eat...and watch several games at once. You can even smoke if you're a smoker.

Go down to one of the sports books at one of the resort hotels. You can place a bet, have a drink, something to eat...and watch several games at once. You can even smoke if you're a smoker.

I know I can watch the game..............I'm just not sure if they are worth my vacation time is all I'm saying.

I hear you on boredom. I literally fell asleep watching the Bills game. They have been so boring starting with the Cleveland game. Dick ball has reached a new low!

You are right...I used to get angry, which I guess reflects I still cared about the team. At this point, I still follow, but I feel no excitement for them any longer. I enjoy good football and find myself watching other games for the sheer competition of it. It took me about 5 years to get here, but now that I am hear, I wonder if I ever will return to really caring about them as a team... Sad part is - if they leave WNY, it would be sad, but I can assure, I would only wacth or read about them as a curiosity, not as my team.

And on two occassions we had wide receivers run 5 yard patters on 3rd & 7's. If you're going to drop back, block, and throw the ball downfield and accomplish all of it you should probably make sure that the route your running is past the first down marker. It's one thing if it's dumped off to a RB short of the sticks, but it's our receivers running the short routes and it looks like its by design.

That's on the WRs.

Lost interest the day they lined up in Toronto to play the Dolphins last season, and have yet to regain my interest since. I've gone from full blown fanaticism from childhood through my late 30's to absolute disinterest in my 40's.

Actually, to be honest, I am slightly more than apathetic, I'm resentful and find myself happier when they lose than when they eek out a few undeserved wins. In my opinion, if the owner doesn't care if they win, doesn't care if they stay in Buffalo, and is just playing out the string on a long, long career of failure/refusal to put out a winning product, than I would prefer he be rewarded with the losing he deserves.

I hope that Ralph Wilson never gets a Super Bowl victory, and am rooting against him every single week; it's all that's left in my remnant from being a fan...to root for him to get beat, from a distance, without caring enough to even watch unless it fits neatly into my schedule.

No more Bills jerseys, hats, t-shirts, or novelties. I haven't sported one of my 4 jerseys this year, and only once did I wear one last year. Same with hats. I don't want to promote anything that is associated with Ralph Wilson, and will continue boycotting the franchise in this manner until he dies. If the team stays in Buffalo after his death, than I will once again give them my love, but until that time I give nothing.

You are right...I used to get angry, which I guess reflects I still cared about the team. At this point, I still follow, but I feel no excitement for them any longer. I enjoy good football and find myself watching other games for the sheer competition of it. It took me about 5 years to get here, but now that I am hear, I wonder if I ever will return to really caring about them as a team... Sad part is - if they leave WNY, it would be sad, but I can assure, I would only wacth or read about them as a curiosity, not as my team.

Writing this season off, I've taken to looking at draft position for 2010. The Bills currently sit in the 10th spot. This means there are 9 other teams that are worse from a win-loss perspective. After watching the Bills pathetic offense and valiant but over-matched and tired and spent defense I have to say that's amazing. There's just a lot of bad football in the NFL this year.

I enjoy watching good NFL football too but with the exception of a handful of teams the NFL product in 2009 is not entertaining. There might be 5 or 6 great/good teams this season. The rest either suck or aren't worth the time to watch. Tonight's Saints/Falcons game might a good one but IMO there wasn't one decent game yesterday.

Focusing on the Bills, the mid-80's were just as bad or worse, but I cannot remember ever being this disinterested. I think the discouragement is the result of a couple things: 1) the widespread availablity of information via the net, e-mail, blogs, etc., and numerous media outlets that didn't exist back then, 2) the likely root cause to the problem, bad coaching, poor drafting, substandard front office, is fairly obvious to most observers. Yet the one guy with the power to turn things around either doesn't see it or doesn't care to act.